A Bit Worried

Leelaa17

This has been happening for the last week or two.

Max will sit and lick and what likes like - bite - his willy. His back leg will shake slowly and then his red rocket pops out and will sit out for a while. And when I say pops out - it comes entirely out. He hasn't been doing anything reasonably exciting.

I do have a female but she is desexed and is 8 months old.

I've never seen this happen before and was wondering whether this behaviour is normal?

He is desexed and is 1y and 9mths old. Please help.

Get rid of all the "Play Dog" magazines and remove all the "Pin Up Bitches" from your house.

That should fix it.

Lol. so this is normal behaviour then? It's just I have always had male dogs and never seen this?

He's just living the male dream. :o

The first time I saw it I almost had a heart attack. I was sitting on the couch and I heard someone breathing reall heavily - I looked around and ended up looking at Max. He was lying down with his head still up, eyes closed, and breathing really heavily - but not panting.

Then I moved my computer to the side and saw his red rocket all the way out.

I actually thought something was wrong with him but my dad laughed so I just left it. But it keeps happening! lol

he may have an infection which is making it a bit irritated .. and leads to the licking, etc.

have him vet checked first - and if everything is ok - then you can work on distracting him etc :o

Thanks very much persephone. He is quite prone to things that need him vet checked! Like corking his leg, getting kennel cough from the dog park, cutting his leg and then it getting infected, getting attacked. I've spent more money on him than I have spent on me in the last year!! Lucky he is all worth it! :(

It doesnt seem to irritate him and it isn't something that happens every day - maybe every four days? But I will still take him to the vet just to be safe!

Thanks for the advice.

Get rid of all the "Play Dog" magazines and remove all the "Pin Up Bitches" from your house.

That should fix it.

Lol. so this is normal behaviour then? It's just I have always had male dogs and never seen this?

No - not necessarily. I just didn't have any other advice I could give you, sorry. My boy doesn't do these things .... unless he keeps it for more private times when I'm not around :( lol.

Mind you, the end of my boy's 'bit' looks a bit odd to me and so I'm going to be up for asking my own embarrassing question of the Vet in the not too distant future. I hunted around for a picture of a normal dog's penis and I'm embarrassed with some of the sites my computer data base would now have a history of me looking at. Some were completely NOT what I was looking for!! :o

Edited by Erny

That should fix it.

No - not necessarily. I just didn't have any other advice I could give you, sorry. My boy doesn't do these things .... unless he keeps it for more private times when I'm not around :) lol.

Mind you, the end of my boy's 'bit' looks a bit odd to me and so I'm going to be up for asking my own embarrassing question of the Vet in the not too distant future. I hunted around for a picture of a normal dog's penis and I'm embarrassed with some of the sites my computer data base would now have a history of me looking at. Some were completely NOT what I was looking for!! :)

HAHAH I can imagine!! you poor thing!! It is quite hilarious actually - the first time I saw it my OH was sitting with me and because Max was looking directly at me, said some things I would like to NOT imagine! lol

and, dare I ask......... but what does it look like?? HAHAH I know that's weird to ask but I am curious now!!! I've seen max's red rocket enough to know what it looks like so maybe we could compare??? :o:(:laugh: :laugh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl::eek: :D :D :o

Your not alone.

My 16 month old desexed boy does the same thing.

I was finding him with his engorged 'member' hanging out and couldnt work out what he was humping (hes not normally a humper so it was strange to find him like that). THEN I CAUGHT HIM!!!!

He lays on his side and cocks his leg up. he then licks and nibbles his penis and humps his stomach until.....well......he finishes lol.

Is it normal.......god knows. im sure he thinks it is lol.

I havent found him doing it for a little while now but no doubt he still does it when im not around lol.

Your not alone.

My 16 month old desexed boy does the same thing.

I was finding him with his engorged 'member' hanging out and couldnt work out what he was humping (hes not normally a humper so it was strange to find him like that). THEN I CAUGHT HIM!!!!

He lays on his side and cocks his leg up. he then licks and nibbles his penis and humps his stomach until.....well......he finishes lol.

Is it normal.......god knows. im sure he thinks it is lol.

I havent found him doing it for a little while now but no doubt he still does it when im not around lol.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT MAX DOES!!! omg!! thank God I'm not alone1 HOW BIZARRE!!! LOLOL

Certainly have him checked if things don't look right "down there" or he is unable to get it back into the sheath.

Otherwise, could be the "age of discovery" thing, he's just noticed that he has a willy thing and is interesting for him.

If there is too much goings on, tell him to go outside when he does it, that way he will have a choice, be sociable or be self absorbed. :laugh::):thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

My dalmatian does this often and it is related to him having urinary crystals. He is on a low protein diet and has stopped "attacking" his penis with such vigor. I think he did it because it was causing a stinging burning sensation. If your dog continues I would recommend getting his urine tested for crystals.

I would have thought it be not that normal for a desexed male to be doing this. In saying that though, I do know of one young dog who every morning sneaks off for some self action. But beware, because if it comes out, there's the possibility it can get stuck.

If he gets the all clear from the vet, I'd be discouraging it.

Erny that's pretty funny about your dogs' penis. Orbit is a bit odd, in that over time, his penis appears to have, well, almost disappeared. It started off normal, but now when you pull back the sheath, pretty much all you see is his os penis bone covered in some tissue and his urethra. There's still a little bit of tissue there and he can still get a bit of an erection, but it's no where near what it used to be. No idea of the cause and can't find any information on 'vanishing penises' so I guess he's a bit unique. And I guess my boss is right when he says that it's one thing he has no use for, so it's sort of ok for it to disappear!