Doggy Boot Camp

Can anyone recommend a reputable Doggy boot camp..?

Living remote we're stuck with our own training and occasionally we could do with some professional help.

Basically our older female dog is dominant and our younger male has just started to stick up for himself a little.

Problem is he bigger and stronger and has hurt her a little, so we're naturally trying to sort this out asap.

"Doggy Boot Camp" (IOW, Boarding & Training) isn't what these dogs need. The behaviour issue is occurring at home. It's a relationship issue. Chances are your dogs would go to B&T Kennels, be trained (which, if the kennels are reputable, won't do them any harm) and then they'd go back to your home, to what they're used to, with nothing much changed and consequently go back to their usual behaviour, albeit that they might sit a little faster or that their stay work might be better. Not to mention that there's even a very high chance that their behaviour won't be exhibited whilst their in the kennels, simply for the fact that it is a new and completely different environment - even IF what the trainer would do would have any bearing on what their behaviour is likely to be like when they return home (which, in all probability, it won't).

I'd recommend you consult a trainer/behaviourist to see you regards the issues you are witnessing. Jane Harper tends to be a well liked and popular choice for those in Queensland. She would be able to work with you at your home, get you to change things you might be doing that could be done differently and better, make suggestions for you and also give her opinion on what's occurring between the two dogs - which is probably normal, but what you might do to keep each other safe from harm.

Edited by Erny

100% with Erny on this one. :o

The problem is at home and amongst you, the owners/family. The solutions requires good leadership strategies from you and implementing various programs. This cannot be done achieved in a 'boot camp' situation.

Sorry...but as suggested, you need to get a good trainer/behavourist out to see you..OR you go out to see them if you live remotely. :(

Thanks,

We'd love to get someone out, the only person in the NT is Bark Busters.

The issue only arises when the older dog is barking at the fence like a lawn mower (over toys now and again but they're separated for play time with me) and the male thinks it's a game so will play with her and she'll growl and chase him which usually ends up in them running around the yard playing nicely..

but if she catches him and hurts him stick up for himself, ie he'll submit all day long unless she makes him yelp which isn't often but it's happened on 2 occasions where he's had a go back.

The rest of the time there isn't an issue (that i see) she gets fed first, patted first and let out of doors first etc.. but now again she's quite aloof and isn't bothered if a fuss is made over the male as she just doesn't want any attention.

He loves peoples attention, where as she isn't that bothered so he'll follow us around all day where as she wont.. maybe he's trying to move up the pecking order?

I'm on my way out so not long for a proper post. But in your message I couldn't help wondering where you fit amongst the pack? Being pack leader won't necessarily stop the shananikans between your two dogs, but IMO it goes a long way to being able to stop something before it starts. You know your dogs where I do not, but my attitude is that I will deal with whichever of the dogs I happen to have at the time in whatever order I want and this will be random - no particular pattern.

I think it is fair enough that your boy will go back at your girl when your girl goes so OT that she hurts him. That's not necessarily a 'movement up the ladder' attempt, but more a protection and objection. I'd do the same.

What are the ages of your two dogs? At some stage the heirarchy is likely to change order.

ETA: Your avatar says you live on the Gold Coast - I think that is a default thing when you register, if you don't otherwise say anything.

Edited by Erny