My Golden Retriever Is A Ratter!

dee lee

Ted my poodle FOUND a freshly dead rat once when we out walking in the bush.

After much squealing in horror, I managed to convince him to let it go and I put him on lead for a while.

"Let him go" says my friend, "we've gone far enough now".

I said if he went back, my friend had to deal with it.

He went back. :(

I can tell you for a fact that picking up a determined poodle and shaking him up and down will NOT get a rat released. She had to grab it by the tail. :laugh:

Edited by poodlefan

Lol at the dog who 'caught' the mouse in the mouse trap...

I'm not sure if my dog could catch a mouse or rat, but I know he can catch rabbits - which was unexpected since he's a doberman with a bit of rottie in him - and rabbits seem like a hard animal to catch. He has caught several, but hasn't killed any yet. He just gets them between his paws, then lies down on top of them and licks them, sometimes removing a bit of hair. I actually thought the rabbits were dead at first, because they were still and stiff. But when I took them off him and put them in a dark box to throw out, they came back to life! They typically run off seemingly no worse for wear except for maybe a couple of bald spots...

Fortunate indeed given that he doesn't only catch wild rabbits; if you can believe it the last two neighbours we've had (one in nsw and one in sa) have had 'free-range' rabbit pets that often visited our yard in search of greener pastures.

Back when we had the last mousie invasion, the greyhounds certainly tried to get mice.

It was a bit embarassing to watch- mousie wanders along the garage wall towards some cupboards, several greyhounds notice and close in for the kill.. several greyhounds collide in a pile of stupid at the wall, mousie squeezes in under the cupboard door and lives to tell his mousie grandchildren about the time he survived a pack of vicious greyhounds :hug:

In an open space I suppose they might be able to catch a mouse (or more likely a rat) but inside the house or in the yard.. not a chance.

Our female greyhound does get the occasional starling when they start getting really bold but from watching Sally, there doesn't seem to be much skill involved, it's basically-

Step 1- Find a comfy spot to nap on the lawn

Step 2- Ignore the birds that land on the fence or further away from her on the lawn

Step 3- Wait until a bird is bold enough to hop right past her nose

Step 4- Grab bird, hide body in someone's gumboot at the back door :(

As far as I know the Jack russel terrier is superior in that department, but who would have thought a golden retriever :hug:

Lol, having one of each...I can tell you my JRT would most definitely kill anything that moves...my GR on the other hand...well she would chase it, but that would be about all lol

As far as I know the Jack russel terrier is superior in that department, but who would have thought a golden retriever :thumbsup:

Lol, having one of each...I can tell you my JRT would most definitely kill anything that moves...my GR on the other hand...well she would chase it, but that would be about all lol

Until today, I thought my girl would only chase too!!

I'm rethinking a few situations right now... :rofl:

Digby, my big mastiff x (60kgs) is a mouser! He is truly dedicated to the cause and will happily sit perfectly still for up to an hour waiting for a mouse to come out from behind something. He has caught about 3 or 4 now.

This brings back memories. I have an old Bullmastiff bitch who is famously known in our family as the "accidental mouser"! She used to love joining our Jack Russells on their mousehunts, much to their exasperation as she constantly knocked them over and got in the way in her lumbering excitement. Anyways, one day the JR's and the bumbling Bullmastiff had a mouse cornered behind some junk in the shed and it was chaos until the dogs realised that the mouse had somehow broken through their defences and escaped, so they went searching in another part of the shed. Only the Bullmastiff bitch remained standing stock still, staringly fixedly at the place she last saw the mouse and determinedly willing it to give itself up!!! In the end I felt I couldn't stand the sight of a Bullmastiff wasting all that effort trying to achieve mind control over a mouse that wasn't even there, so I took her by the collar to gently lead her away to new and more stimulating forms of intellectual fulfilment. I cracked up to see that under one of her big ol front paws was the mouse, cut down dead as he made his bold break for freedom - squashed flat by his clueless 50 kg conqueror. :thumbsup:

JR

Dee Lee, please bring Honey over to my place for a visit. We have seen rats running through our back yard (we back onto a golf course) and have always thought they run through our yard to and from the golf course. Our GR boy is always alert at night when we are in the back yard waiting for them and then he wil suddenly be off in the dark after them but has never caught one thank God.

We have laid traps and poison previously with no effect, so I bought one of those plug in things that is meant to drive them away. I just want them to travel via a different back yard between the golf course and the street. Well in the last 72 hours our GR has started sniffing the floor boards in a specific spot in our living room and we have started hearing scratching noises under the floor!!! I didn't think they were living with us!!! I hope the plug in hasn't attracted them to us and it is doing it's job and the noises are the rats packing their little suitcases to move on.

Digby, my big mastiff x (60kgs) is a mouser! He is truly dedicated to the cause and will happily sit perfectly still for up to an hour waiting for a mouse to come out from behind something. He has caught about 3 or 4 now.

This brings back memories. I have an old Bullmastiff bitch who is famously known in our family as the "accidental mouser"! She used to love joining our Jack Russells on their mousehunts, much to their exasperation as she constantly knocked them over and got in the way in her lumbering excitement. Anyways, one day the JR's and the bumbling Bullmastiff had a mouse cornered behind some junk in the shed and it was chaos until the dogs realised that the mouse had somehow broken through their defences and escaped, so they went searching in another part of the shed. Only the Bullmastiff bitch remained standing stock still, staringly fixedly at the place she last saw the mouse and determinedly willing it to give itself up!!! In the end I felt I couldn't stand the sight of a Bullmastiff wasting all that effort trying to achieve mind control over a mouse that wasn't even there, so I took her by the collar to gently lead her away to new and more stimulating forms of intellectual fulfilment. I cracked up to see that under one of her big ol front paws was the mouse, cut down dead as he made his bold break for freedom - squashed flat by his clueless 50 kg conqueror. :cheer:

JR

:shrug: love it!

they have a special brand of dopiness don't they :rofl::grouphug: