Pyometra Costs

Ker

GE Care Credit is often offered as an alternative when the clinic is not able (or willing) to offer an account.

The options otherwise are payment in full prior to discharge, having the surgery done elsewhere for less or not doing it at all.

right fair enough! Thanks!! :D

I unfortunantly had to deal with this 18 months ago. Total cost was more like $1800 (I haven't actually added it all up I don't want to know!) for a 23kg bitch and she was taken to the vet at the first hint of trouble. So not too much I don't think.

A standard spey can cost over $300 so I don't think its too bad really, considering it is a life-saving procedure. How much fluid is needed depends on how long the dog was in hospital, the size of the dog, its hydration levels, etc. If she was quite sick, she may well have needed more than one bag. Meds ARE expensive - she would have had some form of injectable pain relief and AB's at the time but she would also be taking home some ABs and anti-inflams/pain relief. The only thing that I think is excessive is the ear cleaning charge.

OMG! if something happens to one of mine i just get it fixed no matter the price but $300 for a spey!!!

My girls run $150-$185 and boys are $130!

and that is greyhound sized dogs!

Whoa, that's so cheap, we paid over $400 when Akira was spayed.

Well, he picked up his girl yesterday and she was fine. They ended up charging him $930. She only ended up needing one bag of IV and two lots of meds. She had a little bit of peritonitis starting in the stomach lining, where the infection had leaked through the uterine wall. He's so relieved his dog is ok that he is not fussed about the price. I told him it was far more serious than a spey and if he had got it done AGES ago, before pyo developed, he would have been far better off. It's a lesson learnt, but a hard one for the dog!

Well, he picked up his girl yesterday and she was fine. They ended up charging him $930. She only ended up needing one bag of IV and two lots of meds. She had a little bit of peritonitis starting in the stomach lining, where the infection had leaked through the uterine wall. He's so relieved his dog is ok that he is not fussed about the price. I told him it was far more serious than a spey and if he had got it done AGES ago, before pyo developed, he would have been far better off. It's a lesson learnt, but a hard one for the dog!

Sorry, I kind of agree that if he just desexed her then she wouldnt have got pyometra and that is life threatening or a

big bill

I have used GE Finance when I had to have surgery done. I an glad it was offered as I did not have the money rip off they maybe.

Then had to have emergency when she was attacked and topped up the GE. Took foever to pay it off but that was mt choise. You can pay it in 3 months for no interest.

"My girls run $150-$185 and boys are $130!

and that is greyhound sized dogs!"

Your vets are running the bitch spays at a big loss, the boys are about spot on. As previously stated most vets do neutering at a reduced profit to encourage people to neuter. Even on a slim dog it will take at least 30 mins for a spay (and that is FAST!) but mostly it will take 40 mins surgery time, about 50-60 mins of GA time.

You need to pay for 1 vet, 1 nurse, anaesthesia dugs, equipment, sterilisation, premises etc from the surgery fee. Your vets are obviously keen to get those dogs neutered!!!!

I think it's about $200ish for a lab boy, and around the $300+ mark for a girl around here.

I think the GE thing is pricey, but it's good to know it's there if something unexpected happens. I nearly needed it recently for my $2200 bill for after hours caeser and puppy resusc. Thankfully the inlaws credit card helped out, as it's not so easy to access cash at 5am on a Sunday morning.

"quoting" for a pyo is very difficult as you don't really know what you are going to find until you "get in there" so quoting on the upper end of costs usually is better than underquoting. At least if it's fairly uncomplicated' then you get a pleasant surprise at the end if you have change.

I assisted in an open pyo just today in Surgery and it took nearly 2 hours.

It's not a simple surgery no matter how bad or uncomplicated.

So even if you take the medication, risk, consumables and other expenses aside you are paying TWO qualified people for that amount of time. A good plumber nearly charges that. Vet clinics do not run a big profit margin, I can assure you of that.

At the End of the day, the message here is 'spey' BEFORE your bitch has a chance to get pyometra.

I think the quote given was spot on.

• Like 1

At the End of the day, the message here is 'spey' BEFORE your bitch has a chance to get pyometra.

Easier said then done sometimes, Show dogs must be entire.

"quoting" for a pyo is very difficult as you don't really know what you are going to find until you "get in there" so quoting on the upper end of costs usually is better than underquoting. At least if it's fairly uncomplicated' then you get a pleasant surprise at the end if you have change.

I assisted in an open pyo just today in Surgery and it took nearly 2 hours.

It's not a simple surgery no matter how bad or uncomplicated.

So even if you take the medication, risk, consumables and other expenses aside you are paying TWO qualified people for that amount of time. A good plumber nearly charges that. Vet clinics do not run a big profit margin, I can assure you of that.

I think the quote given was spot on.

It's a bit hard to spey before she pyo's when its your show bitch about to have her second litter

Or one of those rare ones that does it on her first season

Or your pride and joy whos supposed to be pregnant with her first litter, instead she's on the surgery table and you get nothing.

Yes it would be great to spey before she gets a chance to get pyometra............but we don't all have crystal balls,