What Do You Do In The Dog World?

Leelaa17

I do hardly anything compared to some others! Like most others I work in an office and enjoy it but being a crazy dog lady is my passion.

- I compete in obedience with my beagle

- I also train in agility with the intention to compete hopefully later this year also with aforementioned beagle

- I am an obedience instructor

- I attend as many dog related workshops and seminars as possible!

- I am not-so-patiently waiting to get my next puppy! (probably won't be till early next year)

• Like 1

:rofl:

I am now a beef cattle farmer and mum, previously I was a vet nurse and groomer.

I have trained and titled Dobermanns in obedience, the show ring, gained an ET and Dobe Club titles

I train and compete (when time allows) with my Whippets in the obedience and show rings and am about to embark in the jumpers and agility rings. I also have a play with flyball.

I am training one Whippet for his ET title at the moment.

I instruct in agility and obedience at my local club when required

I have an avid interest in many things dog and research and reads lots. Search and rescue, anatomy, behaviour, training and various methods, anything to do with the medical side ie diseases and general doggy ailments.

I have just finished a book on anatomy and why some things are more efficient than others for example angulation etc - very interesting and am going to read it again.

I was known to read the veterinary compendium of continuing education book from conferences etc quite often. I found them facinating.

I also make the odd dog collar and coat for mine and others

I am also the crazy dog lady and I love it :thumbsup:

another impressive list!!! This is probably going to get everyone going and I am going to sound completely stupid when I ask this question... but can you, or anyone else, explain to me what the difference between 'agility' and 'obedience' all the other things are? I have never been to a show and don't know what it entails so I don't know much about anything! lol

Google is your friend.;)

pet owner.

in past lives I have worked in kennels,worked with breeding labradors, trained dogs to be guides for vision impaired folks, and trained dogs as therapy dogs .I have worked part time as vet nurse/receptionist.have had working sheepdogs on the family property ..

Do you mean past lives as in literally or just a long time ago? :thumbsup: I would absolutely love to know how you know what you were in a past life if that is what you actually meant1 :eek:

a long time ago?

leeLa- a looong time ago :thumbsup:

Was that during tha time of the Pharoahs or your Inca stint pers?

• Like 1

another impressive list!!! This is probably going to get everyone going and I am going to sound completely stupid when I ask this question... but can you, or anyone else, explain to me what the difference between 'agility' and 'obedience' all the other things are?

Do a youtube search and you'll find heaps of videos of a range of dog sports :)

But to answer your question above in short - obedience is the sport where you see the dog working with the handler to do things like heelwork, a formal recall, stays, changes of position etc depending on the level you are competing at - higher levels will get the dog to do scent discrimination, directed jumping, dumbell retrievals etc.

Agility is the sport where you see the handler directing the dog through a course of obstacles (jumps, dog walks, a-frames, weave poles etc).

Interesting thread! :thumbsup:

I am 'just' a dog owner and lover, I have two dogs.

I have recently become a volunteer obedience instructor at my club.

I am actively trialling one of my dogs in obedience. We have just got our CCD title so moving on to Novice.

I am training the same dog in agility with a view to trialling when we are ready.

We have fostered before but don't have the facilities to do so at the moment.

And I have a full time office job, not so much to afford my doggie activites, but to pay the mortgage :rofl:

I have just started the NDTF course to become a dog trainer. I also have a Cert I in Animal Studies.

My dogs are mostly pets, but my oldest poodle x has done a lot of obedience stuff. I was hoping to do formal obedience with her until I realised they don't allow mixed breeds. Hopefully we can do rally-o. She also starts agility in June, but that will be just for fun, as she has bad knees.

My puppy has done a lot of obedience stuff and tricks, and will start agility or flyball when he's old enough. Unfortunately it looks like he has bad knees too, so we will probably only do sports for fun, not trialling.

I have just started the NDTF course to become a dog trainer. I also have a Cert I in Animal Studies.

My dogs are mostly pets, but my oldest poodle x has done a lot of obedience stuff. I was hoping to do formal obedience with her until I realised they don't allow mixed breeds. Hopefully we can do rally-o. She also starts agility in June, but that will be just for fun, as she has bad knees.

My puppy has done a lot of obedience stuff and tricks, and will start agility or flyball when he's old enough. Unfortunately it looks like he has bad knees too, so we will probably only do sports for fun, not trialling.

They didn't used to in Qld (was ok in other states) but Qld do now! You need to register here as an Associate with the ANKC.

I would not do any agility or flyball with a dog with knee issues. The stress of training is much the same as the stresses in trialling - you just don't do it as often. It's too big an ask on an unsound dog IMO and is likely to lead to further soundness issues.

Have you considered a surgical correction for your pup's knees?

Edited by poodlefan

I am a dog owner, former foster carer (and still have occasional 'private' foster dog or litter through work), veterinary nurse since 1996 with a special interest in emergency (the field I have been working in since 2006) and pregnancy/neonatal care.

I am at the end of my dog training and behaviour course and have started slowly starting up my dog training business. I have lots of dog related goals I am working towards. Also known as a crazy dog lady as most people I know aren't that into it :(

Pretty much all my spare time is spent researching and training at the moment but I have heaps to learn and a long way to go.

Edited by Lollipup

I am a pet owner of 2 shelties and a couple of cats, havent done any showing but thinking about agility with my youngest dog

My partner and I have just started doing some rescue, had a our first rehome a couple of weeks ago

Would love to do some study to become a dog trainer but to busy working at the moment

They didn't used to in Qld (was ok in other states) but Qld do now! You need to register here as an Associate with the ANKC.

I would not do any agility or flyball with a dog with knee issues. The stress of training is much the same as the stresses in trialling - you just don't do it as often. It's too big an ask on an unsound dog IMO and is likely to lead to further soundness issues.

Have you considered a surgical correction for your pup's knees?

Wow, I didn't realise they allow mixed breeds now. Yay:)

As for agility, I am very aware of it, but her knee issues are very mild, almost not even gradable by the vet, and we are only doing it for fun and will be doing running contact to reduce impact as much as possible. Also, I believe that keeping her active is better than restricting activity.

And yes, they will both probably have surgery, but my poodle x's knees are not bad enough to consider it yet, and my puppy is only 9 months, so I will wait and see how his knees develop and reassess when he's finished growing.

Ex Vet Nursing [ No Qualifications, on the job training]

Ex Pet Sitter

Ex Rescue [ Will still help when I can ]

Slave to 4 Very Demanding Mutz........ Current :)

Some obedience and schutzhund training with current/previous dogs

I've just started my ndtf course..woohoo! Work is putting me through it.

I work at boarding kennels- but we are branching out.

We do doggy day care and training and are starting to get on the bandwagon for dog sports.

And my boy is in training to try and become a therapy dog.

I have my cert II in Animal Care and my cert III in Companion Animals.

I love what I do, and I love learning something new everyday. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else!

As for agility, I am very aware of it, but her knee issues are very mild, almost not even gradable by the vet, and we are only doing it for fun and will be doing running contact to reduce impact as much as possible. Also, I believe that keeping her active is better than restricting activity.

And yes, they will both probably have surgery, but my poodle x's knees are not bad enough to consider it yet, and my puppy is only 9 months, so I will wait and see how his knees develop and reassess when he's finished growing.

Sounds like you are being very sensible. Bear in mind that obstacles like weavers are VERY demanding on a dog and watch for signs of soreness. God bless them, most dogs will keep trying when they shouldn't have to.

Another who is just a dog owner :) Work in retail for now. We are sort of "jack of all trades, master of none" when it comes to dog sports :o

Own 3 Tollers. (1 male 8 years, 1 male 6 years and 1 girl 9 months)

All 3 are show dogs though oldest male is desexed but still competes when classes are offered. Males are titled.

Have titled both boys in flyball and they were National Champs. One is now retired the other hasn't competed in awhile.

My girl is in training and will start competing next year.

Competed in agility with youngest boy.

Competed in obedience with youngest boy.

Training girl in obedience and going to trial before year is out.

Training in tracking and retrieving for all three.

Used to rescue and rehome shelter dogs.

Once I find a suitable prefix I am becoming a registered breeder :)

Hope to have my first litter next year.

Member of a few clubs (couple overseas ones) Should really become an instructor but I would rather just train my own dog :o

I own and work with my dog Ruby on dairy farm.

Have worked in kennels

Worked for the pound in NZ doing beach patrols in holiday times

Did volunteer work for SPCA in NZ in weekends going to call outs for mistreated, injured animals etc

Competed in dog agility with a few different breeds of dogs eg GSD, Border Collie X Hunterway, ETT, Kelpie

I was a Vet Nurse for 8yrs before i relised i couldnt live on the love of the job alone (i will never understand why the pay is so low).

I am now an Animal Technician, the job is not as rewarding but the pay is much better.

I'm a senior animal attendant at a boarding and training kennel. I have worked there for the past 12 years!!

Am also in the process of completing the NDTF Dog Training and behaviour qualification.

Proud owner of my 4 year old male Samoyed, Simba :love:

Have volunteered at RSPCA (East Burwood) in various areas including Cattery, Kennels, Veterinary Clinic, Cat Sales,

Dog Sales, Puppy house, wildlife rescue.

Had a go at Veterinary Nursing which has it's good and bad points.