What Do You Do When You Can't Agree?

Kirty

With Akira, we sat down and made lists and the Husky came out on top. She was meant to be both of our dog, but she chose OH so that was that. With our second dog, we were getting it because I wanted to show. OH didn't really mind too much, and was mostly wanting it as a friend for Akira. We chose the Lapphund because I'd gotten to know them thanks to having Akira and I realised they'd probably be a better fit into our family, and OH liked them. I wanted a Samoyed both times, but OH didn't, so we compromised.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know! But Glen doesn't like skinny dogs LOL!

You want a sighthound? You want a Grey but he doesn't want a "skinny" dog?

You know three hairy Greyhounds (that are "skinny" but don't have the appearance of the Greys that puts some people off...) and I know you love 'em, Kirty... ;)

My OH and I have different taste is dogs but we compramise on what we can both happily live with.

When we were looking for our next dog when my APBT died we sat down together with a dog book and went threw all the breeds listing what we did and didn't like, we ended up with Samoyeds and Keeshonds and eventually choose Sammie's.

I just bring home what I want, when I want.

Problem solved

That is so effing funny...it is exactly what I do and what I did with the Pekingese lol...it only took him a day to fall in love with him. :laugh:

I couldnt have the dogs we have if I didnt live with a man that shares the emotional connection with them....Pugs, Pekingese, Italian Greyhound and an Annatolian Shepherd.

We are a long way off getting another dog (if we ever get another) but my husband and I were chatting tonight and we cannot come even close to agreeing on a breed! I love sighthounds, working breeds and Poodles. He likes Dobes, Aussie Shepherds and Rotties. All of our dogs have been obtained by me (except Champa - he was brought home by Glen, which really should veto any right to him ever choosing another dog LOL) and he tolerates them, but he is not really close to our dogs at all. If the time comes, I will probably choose again because I'm the one who does everything with the dogs. :) But part of me wonders if he chose the dog, whether he would have a closer bond with it?

Do you and your partner have similar taste in dogs? If not, how did you decide?

Have you thought about something like an Australian Cattle Dog? You'd get the intelligence, focus and loyalty of a herding dog and the toughness and guarding instinct of a utility dog. Plus they are great looking dogs.

You can't not bond with a dog you have merely because of its breed or looks if you are a true dog lover.

Sorry, but I have to disagree, and actually find that comment a little offensive. When the breed/s that you particularly love have certain basic personality traits, then that is often what you love most about your dogs. If you take on a dog from a different breed that is a completely different animal to live with, you may not bond with it, you may not even like it.

If true dog lovers were happy to bond with any and every dog there would be few if any pure breeds because people would not strive to fix certain types and temperaments that are most admirable within a breed.

Plus, sometimes certain people and dogs do not bond, just like some people never get along. They should not be made to feel that they are doing sometime wrong, that they are not a "true dog lover".

Agree with Alyosha here. I can get on with and admire a wide range of dogs but when it comes to those I want to share my heart and my home with some just don't make the cut for very good reasons. And that is the whole point of pure breed dogs.

If it is my dog for me to train etc then I can have what I like. If the dog is emant to be more of a family dog then we compromise a little more - I provide a list he says yes interesting or no.

OH likes Braccy dogs, I think they are gorgeous but I have different reasons for wanting a dog to him so I don't get braccy breeds. If he wanted one though we would get one as a second, third or fourth dog.

I end up doing everything for all of them anyway, but I like most dogs so it's all good :)