Whats In A Name?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ams

I have "Acheron" which is " the river of woe" or in current vernacular for Greek kids " little sh*t". and yep he lives up to both.He is the most frustrating dog I have ever owned. I love him dearly but he challenges me every day. He is trained but will choose whether or not he will do as he is asked and if he judges he can get away with not doing it, then that is his preferred option.

"Askari" means police officer and she does police the pack and is quite vocal on what she considers to be acceptable or not. She is a terrible tattle tale on the others.

"Sirius" is the dog star and he certainly had his own DOL following as a puppy and even made the front page of the local paper on his first birthday.

"Chewie" was named after Chewbacca cause he makes wookie noises (it appears he has been debarked) unfortunately the pack decided that meant they could chew on him so he had to be placed in foster care.

I have a cat called "Fidget". You can pat her all day but if you pick her up you've got about 3 secs before she figets to be put down.

With the rescue I have many other examples but no matter how hard I try to choose neutral names I manage to stuff it up every now and then.

Edited by Ams

Froggy is named Froggy because of her springing up and down from the moment I met her (and it has never stopped:))

Stimpy is named after the character out of Ren and Stimpy - Stimpy is the cat in the show so no she doesn't really match her name sake, she is totally like the dog Ren BUT she was not originally meant to stay with us and when my ex named her I figured it was a good way to let them bond and then he may decide we should keep her, which of course ended up happening.

My husbands dog Chevy is named after the car/engine and he is a boofy powerhouse.

Ollie is from the name Oliver (Greek) meaning the Olive Tree...

Not sure that he resembles his name meaning... But I have a few friends and relatives that have called their kids Oliver since I had the lad...

My cousin said she could not believe I called my dog the same as her kid - til I pointed out that her kid is 8 and my dog is 13... She named her kid after my dog :D

You have met Kaos and Sumo... say no more :laugh:

You know I always think of your Kaos when it comes to naming pets - I think to myself 'they grow in to their name' - that's why I have old people names like Gertrude and Esme - and guess what, they are like old people too :laugh:, so it works!

You have met Kaos and Sumo... say no more :laugh:

You know I always think of your Kaos when it comes to naming pets - I think to myself 'they grow in to their name' - that's why I have old people names like Gertrude and Esme - and guess what, they are like old people too :laugh:, so it works!

:rofl: my next dog is going to be angel or sweetie or something nice and calm.... I had the name kaos picked before I had the dog, it is all my fault :laugh:

Apparently Emmaline means "work" and I have to say.. Emmy is a lot of work.

Charlie means 'man' or 'warrior, army'... umm... I do tell him that he is "the man" when he does something great, and I told Mr CWEW and his brothers, that Charlie is their General and they all are his slaves.. :rofl:

Woody is short for Girrawarra Woody. Woody means woodlike or pertaining to wood. If he was really wood, he would be crafted out of limed walnut.

Coconut is the colour of a coconut. A broken one. She got her name from a line in an Avalanches tune. "she's a nut, she's crazier than a coconut." But she's lovely really.

Toby got his name because he reminded me of aToby jug when he was a pup. All head and a curved tail (handle)!

Max was named after Maxwell Smart. Fairly appropriately I have to say! :laugh:

I got Harvey's name from a book of baby names, I can't think of any famous Harveys. However I should have called him Mischief or Destructo or Digger!

I'm a little superstitious about what I name my animals, they always seem to live up to them so I don't like to name them anything that means something bad or a character that dies horribly.

Lestat - named after the vampire character of Annie Rices books. He's blond and everyone loves him and although he has a number of health issues none of them have gotten the better of him yet and he is never sick, we joke that he's immortal.

Mistral - named after two things. A character from Laurell K Hamilton series who is very arrogent and full of himself, which Misty is and a type of strom in the south of France and this dog is very much a force of nature!

Alchemy - she can't really live up to her name as such.

Yngvie - his name was picked by the breeder but it is an old norse name of the god Freyr and Yngvie thinks he is pretty godly :laugh:

Dante - is named after the character from the game Devil May Cry. We always liked it for a Samoyed being that the character had white hair and was very arrogent with a sense of humour. Dante very much lives up to his name!

My boy King is defintley not 'King' like. If anything he should be called princess, cause he is a woos. We didnt name him though, we got him when he was 8 months old and his pedigree is 'King Chrome' so it kind of stuck. I dont think it really suits his personality though.

Rogue, well we loved x-men movies/comics so we named her after one of the characters. Shes defintley a little fire-cracker thats for sure.

Sushi- I just love Sushi and I thought it would make a cute name, but I dont know how much she can actually be like sushi lol. Her pedigree name we called her 'Poker Face' cause she has two black eye patches and it gives her a bit of a 'poker face'.

Our cat is named Corpsegrinder ( a reference to the lead singer 'Corpsegrinder' from the band Cannibal Corpse)

We laughed, there was no way he could live up to his name.

Well he has the deep guttural growl of Corpsegrinder himself. :laugh:

Esky carries our drinks but only cause we make her :rofl:

Max is of Latin origin and means 'greatest'... so appropriate. He DEFINITELY thinks he's the greatest! lol

and Jenna... well this is weird...

Jenna is of English origin and means 'small bird'... I guess that could be that she sometimes acts like a small bird when she doesn't realise how bloody big she is! She also has the personality of a small bird, I think. Timid, but then all of a sudden this big personality comes out of this little animal. :)

My GWP I have named:

Harriet - from the UK. So named as it's a good solid brit name and she really is a good solid dog - and a bit poncy

Russell - named for Russell Crowe, a bearded kiwi now in aussie. My Russell is a bearded aussie now in kiwiland. And he's a bit of a dick too

Tana - named after Tana Umanga, he's our only Black GWP ;)

These have names to match their pedigree's as well:

Alex - named after Alex the lawyer on SVU Law and Order - she keeps everyone in line! Pedigree name: Hotwyr Law and Order

Liz - named for famous Liz Taylor - everyones sweet heart & Elizabeth Montgomery from "Bewitched" and yep she's got everyone spell-bound Pedigree name - Korskote Witch and Famous

Wyatt - after the baby on "Charmed" he's a special dog.... Pedigree name - Hotwyr Charmed and Dangerous

I had the names "Deanna" and "Lucy" chosen well before I had met either of my girls, and those names were chosed for a special reason (some people might recognise the connection between the two). Regardless of what characteristics the dogs had had, they were always going to be "Deanna" and "Lucy".