May 2011 Photo Challenge

Ashanali

An oldie but a goodie and something that's always good to brush up on. :)

Things you can try

FROZEN MOTION

This is where you want to capture the motion with perfect sharpness and clarity. For this you will need a fast shutter speed (usually over 1/500th of a sec), wide open aperture (the lowest numbers you can get to) and depending on how much light you have, you may need a high ISO. The goal for frozen motion is to have every part of your subject sharp.

PANNING

This is where you want to capture motion that has a blur to give it a sense of movement however successful panning shots will have a point of focus that is still clear and readable. The best thing to get some initial practice on is cars driving down the street. Set your camera to a shutter speed of about 1/30th of a second (or even slower). You may need to make your aperture smaller and have it around F8 or greater. The trick is to move at the same speed as the subject while pressing the shutter button. Ultimately there should be a point of the subject that is sharp and clear but sufficient blur of the image to show the movement that occured.

Have fun with the challenge! :)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toolz... try waiting for the point the cars are passing you (more like the white car at the very right of the image). Also you can make your shutter speed a little slower also. Have fun practicing. :)

Here is one or two I prepared earlier, frozen and a minimum pan... Ill do some recent dog ones next week!

Interesting the quality between the 2 photos, the bird is my new camera and lens, the horse is my first dslr basic kit.

post-38278-0-69261300-1305319042_thumb.jpg

post-38278-0-63500500-1305319487_thumb.jpg

Edited by Merrirose