What Do You Give Your Pregnant Girl?

Partipaws

hello all

I have not been on here for a while and just wanted to catch up to date with what supplements, food etc people are using now for pregnant girls - it just seems to change every time i have a litter - LOL - This particular pending litter is very very special to me so I want to really make sure I do everything right. I also thought it might be a good topic to start for new breeders to this forum seeking similar advise as well as most of these similar post are out dated or have disappeared....

I also wanted to find out more specifically about raspberry leaf on pregnant bitches?

Is it the tablets that you buy from the health store/chemist? If so how do you prepare and how much for a pomeranian girl weighing 2.5 kilo?

When do you start? My girl has just come into season now - day 4.

Any other supplements people use or advise etc would be greatly appreciated - I am always interested to learn what others are doing these days.

Thank you in advance :)

Raspberry leaf is to help with whelping, not pregnancy and can bring on a premature birth if given too early. I have never been game to use it but if you can find someone that uses it successfully on little toys, be guided by them.

I would never give raspberry leaf to a bitch again.

I followed another breeders advise and near killed the bitch and the pups.

The worst whelping I have ever had.

The vet put it down to the use of the raspberry leaf and told me never to use it again.

We used raspberry leaf tablets for all but one litter.

The time we didn't the mother seemed to struggle with the birth process abit more.

I started giving her it around 2 weeks prior to birth is due.

I got it from a regular chemist I don't think Blackmores are making it anymore.

Good luck

BB

Only 2 times raspberry leaf was used also happened to be the only 2 times that a c-section was needed. I don't see the need for it with a young, fit bitch.

Nice to see you back here. :thumbsup:

Nothing except, puppy dry & natural good quality food & more of it as the pregnancy advances.

Unless there has been a problem in the past or it is known for sure that the bitch is lacking in something pregnancy is not a good time for trying anything new really.

Hi, i started giving my chi bitches raspberry leaf in the last 3-4 years since i discovered its benefits from this forum. i usually have given it to my older bitch who has just had a litter at 7.

it says on the back label if you read it, that it should be given at the third tri-mester only, which is about 6 weeks onwards of her pregnancy thats when i start giving it. I have read somewhere to give it any earlier could be damaging to the bitch or the pups, i give her one tablet a day crushed into powder and sprinkled on her food of a night.

don't know whether its just luck or whether its the bitch herself but had no problems so far and we hope this will continue but anything is possible ofcourse, she's had 4 litters so far. (some with only one pup in litter).

i just believe maybe the raspberry leaf might have something to do with that, we tend to give our dogs alternative remedies anyway which we find has its benefits.

Edited by toy dog

Thank you so much everyone for your comments - very interesting how things change so quickly - always new tips everytime I have another litter - which really is only 1-2 times per year if that :)

Great to hear others experiences with this product.

Thank you again :)

jess

Only 2 times raspberry leaf was used also happened to be the only 2 times that a c-section was needed. I don't see the need for it with a young, fit bitch.

Nice to see you back here. :thumbsup:

Thanks Becks - yes been very busy unfortunately!! but always come back when I have the time spare to catch up with everyone and learn something new :)