Hunter Valley Hound Club

Beauie

Spoke to a friend last night whom told me there were only 55 odd entries at the above mentioned show, that was held last weekend at Hillsborough showgrounds - can someone who attended please confirm this for me ?

If true, this is very sad as the club use to pull a relatively good amount of entries.

I hear they had a NZ judge also :confused:

Spoke to a friend last night whom told me there were only 55 odd entries at the above mentioned show, that was held last weekend at Hillsborough showgrounds - can someone who attended please confirm this for me ?

If true, this is very sad as the club use to pull a relatively good amount of entries.

Total entry was 59, our boy "Wilbur" was BIS

The judge was Moya Joslin (Borzois) from NZ

Total entry was 59, our boy "Wilbur" was BIS

The judge was Moya Joslin (Borzois) from NZ

Way to go Wilbur thumbsup1.gif

seems very odd - there were 500 179 entries at NSW the week end(ish) before - lots of no shows though.

I never go north over the bridge these days (maybe I should :D )- anyone shed any light?

I was at the Hound Show at Castle Hill the week prior & there were only 179 entries....not sure where 500 came from????

seems very odd - there were 500 179 entries at NSW the week end(ish) before - lots of no shows though.

I never go north over the bridge these days (maybe I should :D )- anyone shed any light?

Edited by Meea

500+ just in the Hound Group? Wow, that's a great entry and in some cases more than an All Breeds Show entry. Generally at a standard show, you'd be happy to get 100 in each Group, let alone 500+.

seems very odd - there were 500+ entries at NSW the week end(ish) before - lots of no shows though.

I was at the Hound Show at Castle Hill the week prior & there were only 179 entries....not sure where 500 came from????

seems very odd - there were 500+ entries at NSW the week end(ish) before - lots of no shows though.

NSW Sighthound Show at Easter drew 275 and Whippet Club got 175. You have to factor in a lot of variables.. what else is on, what else will draw folk to the region, the judge and what sort of accommodation is available.

Venue also matters.

I don't know of any accommodation up that way that would suit what I want (dogs inside) so have never really considered showing around Newcastle. I've certainly travelled that far to show before.

Thanks everyone for your replies and a big congrat's to Wilbur on his BIS win. :thumbsup:

I am VERY surprised at the entry (of 59) at the HVHC, especially when another All Breeds show was on in the morning & the next day, at the same venue.

Is it me or am I seeing a HUGE decline in entries each year for the Hound Club shows ? Why is this ?

The Sighthound Club of NSW will/should always get good entries as their show is held the Easter weekend, which sees many Breed Specialties on, which draw many interstate entries too - so not surprised at that.

Way back in 2004, we won RUBIS at the NSW Hound Club & there were 279 odd entries and another of ours won RUBIS at the 2007 Hunter Valley Hound Club show, over 100 entries at that one.

We weren't entered in either show this year but sadly it seems the entries are really & truly dropping off nowadays.

Ive had a sneak peak in the Journal & can't see any other show or circuit of shows that looked more enticing.

Pretty sad for all the Hounds if entries continue to drop like this. :(

I just remembered Bathurst "Royal" and 2 or 3 All Breeds shows held in Bathurst were on that weekend also. I don't think the Hound Group there was particularly big either.

Just checked - Hound Group entry at Bathurst A H & I was 42

Edited by Wilbur

The 3 Cootamundra shows were on at Harden that same weekend too.

They drew 80 + in the Hound group most days, maybe a little less on the Sunday.

Edited to add - I think there is around 100 in the group at Cowra this weekend

Edited by Diva

Way back in 2004, we won RUBIS at the NSW Hound Club & there were 279 odd entries and another of ours won RUBIS at the 2007 Hunter Valley Hound Club show, over 100 entries at that one.

We weren't entered in either show this year but sadly it seems the entries are really & truly dropping off nowadays.

Ive had a sneak peak in the Journal & can't see any other show or circuit of shows that looked more enticing.

Pretty sad for all the Hounds if entries continue to drop like this. :(

The decline isn't in all Breeds. The Whippet Specialities at Easter were double the number of entries for the shows 10 years ago! :)

Book the right judge/s, have it somewhere people can find accommodation near and folk will come.

The 3 Cootamundra shows were on at Harden that same weekend too.

They drew 80 + in the Hound group most days, maybe a little less on the Sunday.

Edited to add - I think there is around 100 in the group at Cowra this weekend

I think you've picked up on an important point. Perhaps people are a little travel fatigued at this time of year. After the Sydney Easter Specialities Keshwar and I look forward to getting back to the more relaxed pace of the local country shows. There is a season for traveling to Sydney and beyond, and as far as we are concerned it is over now until October unless the show is very attractive and easy to plan for and to get to. Also, a lot of people are out on the circuit now and tend to stay there.

Edit - also wanted to add that sometimes people from Sydney make snide or backhanded remarks about the country shows as if people who attend them are somehow avoiding real competition. I think the country shows are holding their own in quality and numbers.

Edited by SkySoaringMagpie

We have an All-Breeds show this weekend In Tassie, and the Hound Group has 29................Yes thats not a typo, 29 entries :eek:

I heard of a recent show in QLD where the hound group was 6 yup 6.

I think the whole show entry was around 20.

The decline isn't in all Breeds. The Whippet Specialities at Easter were double the number of entries for the shows 10 years ago! :)

Book the right judge/s, have it somewhere people can find accommodation near and folk will come.

:thumbsup:

We have an All-Breeds show this weekend In Tassie, and the Hound Group has 29................Yes thats not a typo, 29 entries :eek:

Ok you win :laugh: ...

NAH NAH NAH - we all might win if we go there :rofl:

Not if both of us turn up Beauie. One of us will have to loose. :laugh:

Not if both of us turn up Beauie. One of us will have to loose. :laugh:

Well Keshwar, there are 7 classes and 5 in show wins to be made - so I figure we can all still win something :D

Good luck this weekend at Cowra ;)