Udx

It is a bit harsh, since I'd guess that only one or two percent of competitors ever win enough classes to get to the level where they achieve a title, and everyone else misses out. I certainly never have titled in Ob here, and probably never will.

Ah well, it's a pity we can't merge our systems - our exercises, your scoring and titles! :laugh:

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes UDX is more frustrating than UD, but I love the challenge of it too. I can't tell you how many times I was close to a pass only to blow it by one little thing.

So I know what you are going through Bedazzledx2 and Ptolomy.

TSD I would be interested to see if training blinds does help with the blind retrieves. I would doubt it because you are only asking the dog to go out 12m - but if you can do some testing for us and let us know we would all appreciate it :thumbsup:

I think it really would - it's not the distance (which you can train for) but the dog learning to trust that there will always be a 'pot of gold' at the end of the rainbow. Does that make sense? The drills develop the dog's ability to take the line - and it's done with white and orange dummies. But it's not an easy exercise and something I train just about daily.

I too would be interested if it translates as I know a few retrieving people who have found it doesn't over the short distance. The difference is that you can re-direct a retrieving dog and at a certain point their nose kicks in to find the bird or dummy or bumper.

In the Multiple retrieve for UDX the distances are exactly the same as for gloves and the article is a scent discrimination leather which is very small and flat...its a bit like a needle in a haystack on a green field.

To add to the problem I had to teach Brooklyn scent matching for the wash cloths, rather than hot scent. Now most dogs don't have an issue with wash cloths as they start out naturally doing hot scent. As we didn't have UDX when I taught him scent I actively taught him to get my scent rather than hot scent so that bit us in the bum when we took on UDX. Thats ok..just a teach which he is doing fairly well now.

So here is his dilemma...the steward scents the decoy in the seekback, dog ignores stewards scent and finds my scent..that's fine. In the wash cloths the steward puts them out by hand, sometimes hanging on to one cloth while deciding where to put the others so we effectivly have varying degrees of stewards scent out there...dog fetches judges scent...fine...(remember he has been taught to scent match which was the intention of the exercise anyway). NOW in the last exercise the steward handles my multiple retrieve articles and puts them out by hand, sometimes completely hidden and the dog is not to use its nose to find them this bit I find insane!!! Several times Brook has taken a lovely straight line out only to sniff the article and reject it as it is covered with the stewards scent.

I acknowledge that most dogs don't have this issue but as the Guru says...you've trained him too well!!! He is also a very literal dog and confusion blows his little mind.

I think it really would - it's not the distance (which you can train for) but the dog learning to trust that there will always be a 'pot of gold' at the end of the rainbow. Does that make sense? The drills develop the dog's ability to take the line - and it's done with white and orange dummies. But it's not an easy exercise and something I train just about daily.

Bedazzled, I wonder if using say a flat leather for UD and a rolled one for the UDX retrieve would help Brookie? At least that would give him another visual cue that this isn't a scent discrimination exercise. I really think having to use leather scent articles muddies the waters for the dogs.

Thinking for my first obedience dogs, I am not going to aim for UDX just yet :rofl: Let's just see if I can get to UD first as that looks plenty enough challenge for me! Maybe in a few dogs time I may challenge myself! I am hearing of so many clashes between how you teach stuff for UD and then it biting you in the bum for UDX, so to be proactive and teach UD a little differently so that UDX isn't that much more of a step. But as UD daunts me already, without having to also think how it may affect UDX later, so baby steps for me! I might have some white cones for sale, now :rofl:

Edited by RubyStar

Oooh, could you describe how you do this? It sounds fascinating. Also sounds very useful for teaching the long (55m) send aways that we need to train for UD over here.

Oooh, could you describe how you do this? It sounds fascinating. Also sounds very useful for teaching the long (55m) send aways that we need to train for UD over here.

Happy to Star, but if you can hang out a couple of days I'll video it? Might make more sense and I wanted to take some more vid of Em anyway. You could substitute the dummies for plates of food too but maintain the integrity of the drill.

Happy to Star, but if you can hang out a couple of days I'll video it? Might make more sense and I wanted to take some more vid of Em anyway. You could substitute the dummies for plates of food too but maintain the integrity of the drill.

Ooh yes please, can't wait to see it. :)

They have to be leather and the same size as scent discrimination leathers 150mm long, 25mm wide and no thicker than 6 mm. Fortunately the new rules allow us to use white leathers which I think helps a little.

Just reading the rules of this exercise again - what are you all using for the multiple retrieve articles?

No where near UDX but I think I will use wood for my SB exercise. Bloody dog hates metal enough as it is and blows hot and cold when we do UD articles so might as well at least go with an article type she will pick up :rofl:.

Ok will be back in this thread again in maybe 2020 will probably take us that long before we are able to get through UD :rofl:.

Thinking for my first obedience dogs, I am not going to aim for UDX just yet :rofl: Let's just see if I can get to UD first as that looks plenty enough challenge for me! Maybe in a few dogs time I may challenge myself! I am hearing of so many clashes between how you teach stuff for UD and then it biting you in the bum for UDX, so to be proactive and teach UD a little differently so that UDX isn't that much more of a step. But as UD daunts me already, without having to also think how it may affect UDX later, so baby steps for me! I might have some white cones for sale, now :rofl:

Hahahaha think i'll jsut aim to train for cd lol

Just think bedazzled an ptolomy we will hear the cheer when you get that pass ;D

Ptolomy's got one pass already. The whole world's gunna hear it if I ever get a pass!!!! :rofl:

No where near UDX but I think I will use wood for my SB exercise. Bloody dog hates metal enough as it is and blows hot and cold when we do UD articles so might as well at least go with an article type she will pick up :rofl:.

Ok will be back in this thread again in maybe 2020 will probably take us that long before we are able to get through UD :rofl:.

Hahahaha think i'll jsut aim to train for cd lol

Just think bedazzled an ptolomy we will hear the cheer when you get that pass ;D

Gees people thought the world was coming to an end the night I passed, or that I had won lotto - I was one very happy camper..........and its all been downhill ever since :rofl:

I guess if you add Lara's 1 pass and Scoota's 1 pass - next pass will be my title ;)

Yes, that's what I was thinking - white will help for sure. Hmmm...getting some ideas now but they may not come to anything ;)

White leathers for the MR doesn't always help. Tux thought that a whitish leaf was the leather as it was in the line that he was taking, so he went to get it unfortunaly the wind made it move and then he just didn't remember what he was suppose to be getting. :laugh: