Udx

I'm loving the challenge of training this class but OMG its frustrating!!!! :banghead: Thats why I thought it deserves its own Topic!

I've come so close to a pass but for one bit of an exercise. Last week it was the sendaway...then it was the multiple retrieve (thats a heart breaker!) Yesterday was the down in the PIM. Everything else was pretty nice. :thumbsup:

Finally we have a fairly confident wash cloths even though the Judges always seem to put the scented one in the middle and my delicate boy doesn't like treading on all the cloths to get to the middle...go figure!!!

Edited by bedazzledx2

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rofl: BC4ME. I can so understand what bedazzledx2 is feeling - only we have it with UD not UDX. Oh so close and we just fail a single exercise and then next trial its all gone pearshaped :(. Mega mega frustrating.

I hope this link works... http://www.ankc.org.au/media/scripts/doc_download.aspx?did=855

Yep it did :thumbsup: scroll down to the last class....UDX starting at page 43...its a doozy!!!

Can you post a link to your UDX please Staranais.

It sounds mysterious and challenging - can any of you Aussies post a link explaining what's involved in UDX? It sounds rather different to our UDX! :laugh:

Edited by bedazzledx2

Yep you master one exercise and something else goes pearshaped.

I agree with you Bedazzled - I actually loved training all the exercises its just the trialling bit that is frustrating.

At least we are failing with high scores :rofl:

It did, thanks - wow, that is very different to our UDX! No tracking, for one thing. The seek back with the decoy looks fun to train, but challenging.

ETA, I'll post a link that outlines our UD. UDX is a title you get if you pass a UD trial three times with over 90% of the score, not a title in itself:

http://www.sigsl.org.nz/TrackingAndTrials.htm

The full regulations are here, with UD exercises starting on page 52:

http://www.nzkc.org.nz/rulesreg_pdfs/Obedience_Regs.pdf

Edited by Staranais

HMm thinking about changing my seekback article and decoy from metal to wood as I now feel the metal has been tarnished when he became sick and refused to pick it up. Have had a play with the wood and metal is easier for them to see. Perhaps I will use wood for the next trial and see what happens.

I also did some blind retrieves today - stoopid exercise :rofl: Its OK if they can see it, but it does his and my head in when he can't.

HMm thinking about changing my seekback article and decoy from metal to wood as I now feel the metal has been tarnished when he became sick and refused to pick it up. Have had a play with the wood and metal is easier for them to see. Perhaps I will use wood for the next trial and see what happens.

I also did some blind retrieves today - stoopid exercise :rofl: Its OK if they can see it, but it does his and my head in when he can't.

I went with wood and than she went off and wouldnt touch mine so changed to metal which was fine for awhile and than she went off than went back to wood and was fine for awhile and than we had problems with that and I refuse to change over so we are working through with it which was why I was so excited when she did it wait till the next trial arghhh :eek:

No where near UDX but I think I will use wood for my SB exercise. Bloody dog hates metal enough as it is and blows hot and cold when we do UD articles so might as well at least go with an article type she will pick up :rofl:.

Ok will be back in this thread again in maybe 2020 will probably take us that long before we are able to get through UD :rofl:.

Xena98 - what do you use for your scent exercise.

I have a few face washer sets which are thick and fat and now I have a few duster sets from Bunnings which are smaller and easier to fit into a container. I tend to use these for training and the face washers for trialling.

I washed a few in the beginning and decided that was too much hard work :rofl: I have lots of sets and just air them. I usually keep out the two scented ones in training so I don't contaminate the whole set. I keep trying to remember to ask the steward in the trial not to put them back but keep forgetting!

I also have the sets of 10 cleaning cloths from Bunnings...about $4.50 for a set and they are the exact size but as Ptolomy said they are a bit thinner, very convenient.

Are you talking about the towels. Got a towel and cut it up and rolled up with coloured rubber bands one lot is thicker than the other. How do you clean your towels?

Very interesting...thanks for posting the link. I must say I think your obedience is much more user friendly. I love that you are not penalized for verbal encouragement in the early classes. Your Test C is what many of us wanted our UDX to be but the 'powers that be' decided they had to tweak it out of recognition and thats how we ended up with this stoooopid multiple retrieve which gets interpreted as a blind retrieve...grrr

It did, thanks - wow, that is very different to our UDX! No tracking, for one thing. The seek back with the decoy looks fun to train, but challenging.

ETA, I'll post a link that outlines our UD. UDX is a title you get if you pass a UD trial three times with over 90% of the score, not a title in itself:

http://www.sigsl.org.nz/TrackingAndTrials.htm

The full regulations are here, with UD exercises starting on page 52:

http://www.nzkc.org.nz/rulesreg_pdfs/Obedience_Regs.pdf

Just reading the NZ obedience rules - now there is a little bit of common sense - only 2 min sit stay maximums and 5 min drop stays. Sounds like a brilliant idea if you ask me.

Just curious as to what command you give? Do you have different commands for fetching dumbell/gloves/blind retrieves?

UDX is so much fun. We started end of last year with 3 trials before Cassie stopped for mother duties. She did really well with a couple of zeros.

This year we have had about 3 or so trials and her last trial she did everything until the last articles. she missed one but got the 2nd one. She lost points on how slow she was which is to be expected as she is a bitch thats has to do everything perfect the first time. She has always been like this but that trial gave me confidence that she knows all the exercises just have to polish it all up. I dont train her everyday. Probly 1 day before a trial as she hates beign trained all the time. So hopefully will get back into it as looking forward to the national and state trials coming up in june so will get out and do a bit here and there.

Its a good challenge and am lovling it and everyone is so supportive in the UDX

Very interesting...thanks for posting the link. I must say I think your obedience is much more user friendly. I love that you are not penalized for verbal encouragement in the early classes. Your Test C is what many of us wanted our UDX to be but the 'powers that be' decided they had to tweak it out of recognition and thats how we ended up with this stoooopid multiple retrieve which gets interpreted as a blind retrieve...grrr

Yes and no. I love our exercises, but I really don't like the way that we must win classes outright in order to advance - that's very hard on those with less traditional breeds, & those new to trialling, as they must not only work to a certain standard, but also beat all the border collies and experienced competitors in order to advance at all! I also really hate the fact that you only get a title when you win into the top class, meaning that your work in the lower classes isn't recognised at all.

I don't envy you the multiple retrieve, though. :laugh:

That seems to be the UK system too. Must say I do like the fact that all breeds are able to get their titles and recognition for the work. I hadn't realized you only get a title when you win into the top class...thats tough!!!

Yes and no. I love our exercises, but I really don't like the way that we must win classes outright in order to advance - that's very hard on those with less traditional breeds, & those new to trialling, as they must not only work to a certain standard, but also beat all the border collies and experienced competitors in order to advance at all! I also really hate the fact that you only get a title when you win into the top class, meaning that your work in the lower classes isn't recognised at all.

I don't envy you the multiple retrieve, though. :laugh: