Udx

That's a bugger Kallistar. Always just one thing in that class

Today we did everything but now cant do towels. Now this is interesting last Sunday she was just naughty all weekend that also included the agility trial. I had used Graham and that is Gabby's love of her life she absolutely adores him and will even leave the ring for him. Wouldnt go anywhere near his towel (I used him as my scented towel) Friday went out and trained with a couple of friends no problem today at club I used Graham again same thing wouldnt go near it (might add wont be using him again but he was the only one available at the moment everyone else was busy)so shall try again another day

Yep had problems with it and umm its fixed again dont know how or why.Xena I had used leather when I first started as it holds alot of scent and didnt have a problem till a couple of years later and than we went through the I'm not touching yours I'm going to get the decoy I had experimented with the wood and the metal and found the metal worked with her. So I thought with Gabby I will do metal. well that only lasted for awhile and she did the same thing (I did write it in here if anybody else had that problem that the dog wont touch yours but determined to bring decoy it's like yours is poison)No one could answer that one so I went to wood and that seemed to fix it but than we have just been through it again and I decided that nope I am not going to change I'm just going to ride it through and she is back doing it again for how long I dont know. I even went back to putting the food on mind which worked before I went to the trial and after the trial thought ok put food on mind and she said yep thanks for the tidbit and than went onto the decoy. So frustrating. Following training she just did it again.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bugga!!!! We've had one of those! I suspect tomorrows sendaway will be an issue judging on our training round today!

I use metal as when I trained it I was thinking a moving scent discrimination and it was the most logical article to use that said sd. He's been successful with metal so I'm not looking to change. Why are you thinking of changing kallistar?

Ok.. now a training question for UDX, What are you using for your seek back with decoy and why? And how did you teach it?

I am using metal at the moment but am thinking of changing to wood.

The reason that I am thinking of changing it is because I am a sook in winter and the metal is cold :rofl: The other reason is because Tux every so often does the snatch and grab which is great for UD but not UDX . I think that the wood holds the scent longer ????

Sorry to hear of your problems too Xena98 and Ptolomy. It is hard to know what to do at times.

How I taught it was like the SD in UD and gradually moved them further apart.

In training now, I go back to having them close together so he has to find both of them (and so I know for sure which one is the wrong one as I never accept a wrong article where ever possible)

If he picks up the wrong article, I point back out, he then goes and find the correct article and brings it in and we have a big party.

Hope that this makes sense.

Well we failed the down in positions in motion again! I have changed from a signal to a verbal and today I was confident he would do it, only to about turn and see him in a sit!!! ARGHHHH!!!!!

He did a wonderful sendaway despite my expectations of it going to crap as it had the day before!!! We got the about turn, right turn, call your dog which meant he wouldn't have seen my left hand to call him to heel so I used my right hand and he responded beautifully! (have only done that once in training)

The judge had a brain fade and put the Multiple retrieve out 15 meters and we failed it but I don't know if he would have got it at correct distance. Didn't matter today as he had already failed. I just hate that last exercise!!!

I changed from metal to wood for the seekback today and it worked better. He was unsure, but thats because I have only done it once or twice using wood and that was a week or two ago.

We failed the sendaway - he sat 1m in front of the cones and then had issues with the multiple retrieve when he took a beautiful line out to the first article, picked it up, spat it out and went and picked up #2 instead and brought that back. Yep we too had the MR out at 15m. But at least I now know he can do that distance :rofl:

Well we failed the down in positions in motion again! I have changed from a signal to a verbal and today I was confident he would do it, only to about turn and see him in a sit!!! ARGHHHH!!!!!

Know that feeling well.

He did a wonderful sendaway despite my expectations of it going to crap as it had the day before!!! We got the about turn, right turn, call your dog which meant he wouldn't have seen my left hand to call him to heel so I used my right hand and he responded beautifully! (have only done that once in training)

The way that this exercise is done here is that you send your dog to the cones, judge orders forward and at the 15meter mark either tells you to call your dog or about turn and call. Only when the dog is with you, you then do the tiny bit of heel work with the right or left turn and halt.

The judge had a brain fade and put the Multiple retrieve out 15 meters and we failed it but I don't know if he would have got it at correct distance. Didn't matter today as he had already failed. I just hate that last exercise!!!

When I started UDX it was still at the 15 meter mark. He was getting really good at it, then I had to teach him to look for them at the 12 meter and boy did that confuse the issue. I have a resonable success with them as long as I don't move my arm or hand as I cannot for the life of me make it stay in a straight line to send him out.

I changed from metal to wood for the seekback today and it worked better. He was unsure, but thats because I have only done it once or twice using wood and that was a week or two ago.

We failed the sendaway - he sat 1m in front of the cones and then had issues with the multiple retrieve when he took a beautiful line out to the first article, picked it up, spat it out and went and picked up #2 instead and brought that back. Yep we too had the MR out at 15m. But at least I now know he can do that distance :rofl:

Glad that the wood worked better for you for the SB with decoy.

Yep I know all about that blasted position in motion. You fix up one and than something else breaks just unbelievable. I do find that the wood does hold the scent better plus the leather would hold it as well but at least its a bit different from the normal seekback. Gabby is really good now on the multiretrieve I just keep my hand down and say fetch and that does the trick cause my dogs are too keen and any movement and ther're gone also find that I cant keep them sitting there long at all and wait for focus or anything like that cause that is when they stuff up. I usually turn once the dog has sat judge says send I just send her and she normally gets the right one (its also a prayer when I send her as well)When is your next udx trial

I was undecided about changing to wood for the seekback until this mornings UD trial where he stood over his metal article, indicated which article it was, walked around the pack, avoided it for a while longer before finally standing over it and then eventually picking it up ARGH. Hence I used wood this arvo :thumbsup:

Is anyone trialing in UDX this weekend? If so good luck.

Also has anyone done UDX indoors on concrete flooring and what did you think about it especially with the SB with decoy?

And what other problems did you run into?

I am sure Ptolomy and Bedazzledx2 will be along a little later but I hear there are a few UDX brags happening ;)

Yee Har - can you hear the Champaign Corks popping in WA???

The boys have obviously been busy chatting about it/texting and they both came out and put in terrific rounds.

I am a happy little vegemite. 2 down 1 to go......

Edited by Ptolomy

I am sure Ptolomy and Bedazzledx2 will be along a little later but I hear there are a few UDX brags happening ;)

I can't wait to hear.. And I do know of a few Gr Ch (O) that are around.. which is just awesome. Last weekend my friend got a UDX pass, but it wasn't enough for the Gr Ch(O)pass :(

The boys have obviously been busy chatting about it/texting and they both came out and put in terrific rounds.

CONGRATULATIONS to you both.. I am so happy for you :)

Edited by kallistar

yay

But what about when the tongue gets stuck to the roof of your mouth and you have to try and get something that vaguely resembles a verbal signal out to the dog. That started happening in PIM and it was all downhill from there!

Yep both boys were wonderful today - dare I ask how many times you have watched the video and how many popping bottles have been popped :D

Well done mate :thumbsup: