Professionals And Non Professionals

Kirislin

Guest Tess32

I used to take shots of the dogs lure coursing at kcc. I charged I think around $10 a photo or something...was no big deal and didn't take much effort on my part.

The fact is, photography is a very popular hobby and there are always going to be amateurs doing what professionals do for a living, and de-valuing it by either giving it away or doing it on the cheap. That's life, the pro photographers who've been around a very long time and make a living from it have dealt with that fact for years and manage to rise above it.

I totally agree with this. It's a bit like people who go to a week long farrier course and then charge to shoe horses, it devalues the long years of farrier training but doesn't significantly affect the good professional farriers who are well known for the quality of their work. Whoever pays an unqualified farrier is probably too cheap to pay a master farrier anyway.

On the other hand from my perspective as someone who pesters anyone with a camera at shows and events ;) I appreciate the time and effort that professional photographers put into their work but I've been to so many events with NO photographers at all and so I'm really grateful for any photos professional or not and I'm happy to pay for either. It's not easy sitting around at events for hours trying to get photos of every combination so I'm happy to pay even if they are just 'practicing'.

If there was an amateur at an event trying to sell or give away pics when there was a commissioned photographer on the grounds it would be poor form but if there is no photographer at the event then I see no problem with it. In fact I'd be quite distressed if I knew someone had taken pics of my horse and I wasn't offered them to buy or have, every event is a memory and it's nice to have pics especially as I'm usually on my own at events so don't have anyone to take pics for me.

I'm not a fan of taking "people" photos... I like photographing dogs mainly - and do so a lot for the rescue I volunteer at. I team up with the owner of the rescue, and we have 2 DSLR's getting hundreds of photos of each dog from every angle possible, and doing all sorts of fun things. Then it takes ages to cull the best photos from the myriad taken, and only the best photos that actually capture the true nature of the dog will be used for their rescue pages.

I took my camera to my cousin's wedding last December. I approached the official photographer, showed him my camera and asked if he minded me snapping away during the day if I didn't get in his way - he was quite fine with that, and even allowed me to be beside him for a few of the formal shots - and I snapped my shots after he had taken his shot (courtesy, etc). I ended up with over 900 photos of the day, and actually most of them turned out pretty bloody good. I had one up on the official photographer in that I actually knew the families and most of the guests on a personal level, and I was going for shots showing them having an awesome time, and managed to catch a few terrific ones of the groom watching the bride coming towards him, and some of her absolutely radiant and happy smile as she was making her way to him too.

The best part of the whole wedding photographing that day was that I could immediately put all of the photos onto USB sticks for the bride's parents to take back to the UK with them - and I resized a few of the best ones down to emailable size to send immediately to her uncle who was too sick to come to Australia for the wedding. That cheered him up no end! Oh, and I sent some via email to my parents who couldn't attend too - then they also wanted the USB stick with all of the photos... lol!

The wedding was on Christmas Eve, so the Christmas day email with the photos for the bride's very sick uncle was something I was proud to be able to do for him. He said it was the best Christmas present ever... *grin*... her parents took a USB stick back for him too. Gave a USB stick to the bride and one to my aunt also...

A couple of times during the day, me and the official photographer were checking each other's shots on the cameras, and he actually reckoned I was doing a great job of it. He wasn't overly worried that my photos would be given to the bride and family members for no fee - he was actually quite forthcoming with tips and tricks and was very accommodating, and I appreciated that immensely.

T.

I've sometimes thought of entering photos in small shows or competitions, but honestly wouldn't know where to start or how to go about it...

Was wandering through the photo displays at the Easter Show, and my friend said that maybe I should enter something myself next year... she reckoned that some of my photos were easily viable in that context.

Has anyone here entered shows or competitions? How does one actually go about it? And how do you find them?

T.

Has anyone here entered shows or competitions? How does one actually go about it? And how do you find them?

T.

Just go to the website of the shows and find the link to competitions.

Alternatively google, 'photography competitions australia' or something like that and you'll get plenty of links.

Thanks heaps Ashanali! I hope I never come up against you in a show/competition... your work is incredible!

One day I hope to have the skill and the equipment to capture some action shots like the last one in your sig... it's an awesome pic!

T.

Thanks Ashanali... just missed the closing date yesterday... *sigh*

I'll keep looking though - it would be interesting to see whether I make the grade... *grin*

Honestly, I look at myself as a "hobby" photographer - I just point my camera at things and push the button. I've been told that I have a reasonable knack for where I point the thing though... lol! And the beauty of digital cameras is the ability to take LOTS of photos, then cull the ones that don't make the grade, yes?

T.

• 2 weeks later...

The short answer is that selling images too cheaply devalues photography.

Using wedding photography as an example:

8hrs of shooting, plus many hours of culling and processing.

Joe Bloggs is a shoot and burner who charges $300 for a disc of images for a wedding. He has a day job, this is just a hobby, so $300 sounds pretty great to him. He may or may not be good. Doesn't matter really.

Professional Photgrapher sells wedding packages from $2000. This his business, his life and he takes it very seriously.

So how does the Professional Photographer compete with Joe Bloggs? Obviously some will be able to see the difference in quality, but you know what? Lots of people can't.

If you are just starting out, work out your pricing (the hours you spend, what you're worth) and discount it while your are portfolio building. Let people know that it is a discounted rate for PBing.

Yup... everyone and his dog (no pun intended... considering the forum I'm posting this in :p) has a DSLR and kit lenses. Some can even take decent photos. Then they start a Facebook page or website and offer wedding packages at a fraction of the price a pro can do it for.

I'm not in the wedding business, but I am a pro. People are always offering to do what I do, for free...it greatly diminished my chances of being paid, because like you said, many can't tell the difference.

Due to recent unemployment and a dislike for what I am trained in (Administration), I decided to go out on a limb and follow my heart. So I started up my own small business as a Pet Photographer.

I love animals and have a knack for winning over even the most unsettled or the timid.

I love this job and wouldn't change it for the world. I don't really feel that people that have no training are detrimental to the 'professional'.

Anyway, you are welcome to check out my FB page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Beautiful-Illusions-Photography/103461956409938

I would love some links to your pages as well for I love looking at other people's photography :)

Edited by Beautiful Illusions

Hi Beautiful Illusions

good for you to take a break from what you were doing, and follow your heart, but as a business I hope you have dotted the is and crossed the ts with insurance etc - animal photography is partly about getting the animals to work with you for sure and keeping them calm and settled, but it also about having the business and photographic skills too for backing that up. Nothing wrong with easing into it by gaining practice and honing your skills in both those areas before you start charging money - there is a reason that 4/5 businesses fail in the first 5 years, and one of those is failing to be prepared and jumping in way too quick

I got asked to do a wedding for a friend, I said no, but also said I will be taking my camera anyway.

He asked why, and offered $500, I still said no.

I'm no professional, I have my fun, and if I good photo comes out of it, then awesome.

But, it is a wedding, if I take bad photos, the day cant be done again.

I dont mind taking photos for friends, of them, their dogs, whatever they want, as I love it, but I will not take money for it.

I had a conversation with someone the other day. They asked what I did for a living. I told them my trained profession while mentioned I did some photography part time and gave them a web link to my site. I got a response back from them which went like this: "I was a little weary of you saying you did photography as it seems everyone I meet now days is a photographer and I find the industry becoming a bit of a joke." I never felt embarrassed to say I did photography until hearing that - as how many others out there think this?!

I dont call myself a professional photographer - just "photographer". I still class myself as growing and learning even after 3 years.

I would love some links to your pages as well for I love looking at other people's photography :)

Do a google search for photographers of the likes: Shine Pet Photo's, Scruffy Dog Photography, Nicole Mlakar - Livingston and Sarah Beth Photography (just to name a few) but these guys are world class pet photographers and will give you an idea of the standard of work around. Good luck with your new business.