7month Amstaff

easyaz

My boy just turned 7 months and a few people said "oh he looks a bit small" just wanted everyone elses opinion. Hopefully I'm feeding him enough, maybe some people could upload a photo of their amstaff at that age or around that. Thanks in advance Aaron. Hopefully the pics work I'm doing this of my iPhone.

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/hardaz/?action=view&current=photo-1.jpg

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/hardaz/?action=view&current=photo-2.jpg

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/hardaz/?action=view&current=photo-3.jpg

If that didn't work just copy the link

I'm no expert on size, just wanted to say cute pup!

What were his parents like size wise that should give some indication, can you speak with your pups breeder they would have the best idea of size for age.

The problem these days is people expect Amstaffs to look like this

3males.jpg

Those are not Amstaffs those do not meet the breed standard they are monstrosities bred by someone who thinks they look tougher that way (and who I suspect of crossbreeding)

This is what an Amstaff should look like

srckys_amstaffs_budweiser.jpg

Your dog looks to me like what a real Amstaff should look like and looks a good size for his age. He is absolutely beautiful do not stress.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

He's a cutie, and looks well fed. I wouldn't worry about what "some" people are saying, but have a talk to his breeders they'll be able to put your mind at ease and will know best In regards to their pups :)

I seen one a couple of weeks ago, I swear It's head was the size of a fully grown Mastiff, he was just massive! and It was close to being titled here :eek:

I really don't understand how judges are veering so far from the standard, It's just a joke really and I must say very sad for the Amstaff breed

Thanks for the quick replys, his parents were quite large but I don't care if he isn't bulky, if he turns out like that second photo I would be very very happy. Just not to sure if he is getting enough food really and hopefully not stunting his growth by giving him an all raw diet and not feeding him the puppy dry food that promotes growth!

Thanks for the quick replys, his parents were quite large but I don't care if he isn't bulky, if he turns out like that second photo I would be very very happy. Just not to sure if he is getting enough food really and hopefully not stunting his growth by giving him an all raw diet and not feeding him the puppy dry food that promotes growth!

Raw diet is good so long as you are giving him a variety. Beef, chicken, turkey, eggs, rice, some fruit and vegies and he will be nice and healthy :) Raw is their natural diet so it is the best diet for them.

He looks good size to me you don't want him to be too bulky or to grow to quickly until after he is at least 12 months old to prevent causing any joint issues. My girl (in my siggy) is now 9 months old and seems to have stopped growing tall and is now bulking out a bit but I still don't want her to really bulk up until she hits 12 months and after. They won't really stop growing until around 18months / 2 years. She currently weighs in at around 23 kilos.

That pic is what I want my girl to look like when she is fully grown, I love that shape. With the right food and exercise I am sure she will be and from what your boy looks like now I would say he will be close to that.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

They can take until 2 to 3 years to fill out, depending on the individual and the bloodlines - your breeder can fill you in on that.

He looks healthy and has a shiney coat and is not overweight. Am Staff's are not supposed to be muscles bound huge individuals, they are supposed to be athletic.

This is ths standard

The American Staffordshire Terrier should give the impression of great strength for his size, a well put together dog, muscular, but agile and graceful, keenly alive to his surroundings. He should be stocky, not long-legged or racy in outline. His courage is proverbial.

And this

Height and weight should be in proportion.

Height:

Dogs approx 46-48 cms (18-19 ins) at shoulders

Bitches approx 43-46 cms (17-18 ins) at shoulders is considered preferable.

Interestingly my Whippet bitch is 18 inches and my Male Whippet 20 so an Am Staff on the scheme of things should not be overly tall.

Speak to his breeders and they will let you know what the go is. Also the average lay person off the street has always had/seen a bigger, better, fast, smaller, solider dog (depending on which breed you have on your leash) than you have got, don't know why it it, but that is the way it is

Edited by OSoSwift

Oh and yes as said before Raw is great as long as you make sure you include everyhting so it is balanced over time. Dry dog food does not "make them grow" a balanced diet ( of either sort) enables them to grow to their full potential.

I don't really know much about Amstaff size...but just wanted to say that your puppy is beautiful. :love:

I really don't like the look of the dogs in the first pic that Keira & Phoenix posted....I much Preffer the look of the 2nd dog.

He looks happy and healthy to me.

They all mature at different rates depending on bloodlines.

My boy didn't start to fill out until 2yrs old.

I like to keep my dogs lean and often I'm told by members of the public that they are too skinny and too small :rolleyes:

For comparison, here is a photo of my girl at approx. 9 months.

post-23765-0-77438100-1306376237_thumb.jpg

He looks happy and healthy to me.

They all mature at different rates depending on bloodlines.

My boy didn't start to fill out until 2yrs old.

I like to keep my dogs lean and often I'm told by members of the public that they are too skinny and too small :rolleyes:

For comparison, here is a photo of my girl at approx. 9 months.

post-23765-0-77438100-1306376237_thumb.jpg

Oooooo priddy!!!

My girl is probably a little less stocky than that.

As Keira and Pheonix already mentioned the general public these days really doesn't know what an amstaff should look like. An amstaff should be the perfect balance of power and agility. Nice lean muscle like an athlete! And your boy is still a baby, geez talk about pressure to grow up! :laugh: (From the other people not you!) My girl didn't grow much in height from around 8 months I think and has slowly started fill out over the past couple of months. I don't know if I have any good photos of Juno at 7 months sorry.

Your boy looks good for his age to me! A real cutie! If you have any more pics we'd love to see them in the amstaff thread :D

I seen one a couple of weeks ago, I swear It's head was the size of a fully grown Mastiff, he was just massive! and It was close to being titled here :eek:

I really don't understand how judges are veering so far from the standard, It's just a joke really and I must say very sad for the Amstaff breed

x2

:eek: It's very very sad that even some exhibitors and judges have no idea what the breed standard is! I can understand ignorance from the general public but from people who are suppose to know the breed :banghead:

• 6 years later...
On 26/05/2011 at 10:30 AM, easyaz said:

My boy just turned 7 months and a few people said "oh he looks a bit small" just wanted everyone elses opinion. Hopefully I'm feeding him enough, maybe some people could upload a photo of their amstaff at that age or around that. Thanks in advance Aaron. Hopefully the pics work I'm doing this of my iPhone.

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/hardaz/?action=view&current=photo-1.jpg

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/hardaz/?action=view&current=photo-2.jpg

http://s699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/hardaz/?action=view&current=photo-3.jpg

If that didn't work just copy the link

Hey my girl is 20weeks old very fit and she it 17kg 44cm tall  she eats a lot  1kg a day split into 3 meals she burns it all off   Very happy and playful but she is still growing  her parents were a lot bigger  will have a pic soon 

Edited by Jetbye

Your boy looks very healthy. I couldn't really compare his size in the pictures as there was nothing for me to scale him against, but I do agree that many of the uninformed public seem to think that Amstaffs should be Rottweiler size (which of course they should not) and that SBTs should be labrador size (again that is far far too big for that breed).

There seem to me to be a lot of so-called "Amstaffs" which have some mastiff breed mixed in and are more BullArab type and a lot of the "big" so-called staffys are really Amstaff X SBTs.
It is the curse of the "staffy " name being used as a type as well as a particular breed and I can see how that can confuse the general public.

So if your boy is going to end up in the correct height/weight range for an Amstaff just be proud of him and don't worry about what the uninformed say.  :)

Edited by RuralPug
  • Like 1