Dog In Pain!

I also agree with Pers.

I had to put my beautiful Lexie to sleep last year. We missed the fact she had breast cancer until it was too late. But she was happy and able to continue on, but in July it was getting to be too much. She was in pain, it hurt to walk, she didnt want to eat. She told me it was time. It was the hardest thing i have ever had to do and I still cry over it. She was only 10 years old, and it broke my heart.

Oscar will tell you when its time.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..and just remember - there are lots of us here who have been there,done that ..and who can understand some of what you are feeling/thinking. This community can be the best of places when one needs support at these times :)

:) Thank you Pers, your words have been perfect. It's exactly why I came on here because you guys could in a sense help me know if my mind is walking the right path. In no way shape or form do I want him to go and I do believe he has at times when it's been bad he has given me the look to say he doesn't want to do it anymore but then he has a couple of good days and it feels like that overrides it all. That's where I am getting confused! When it's bad, it's bad. After he has had his really bad episodes he lays flat on his side panting with a sad look in his eyes but then he has little episodes that don't appear to be that bad but it still represents pain.

Is some pain ok or one shouldn't ever allow any pain at all? The tablets are working a bit but I don't feel enough.

I 100% agree with this. The what ifs, thinkg about doing it etc put you under much more duresss. Afterwards yes youa re upset and yes it hurts, but it is nowhere near as distressing.

And yes many of us have unfortunately had to make the decision and each and every time it hurts like hell, but afterwards you know you have done the right thing and you know they are suffering no more.

OS I don't know if I'll ever know I've done the right thing, I think I am a little selfish in that way but I will know he is out of suffering and that is important.

I'm so sorry for what you're going through - I haven't had to face that decision yet. That said, it is my strong belief that I'd rather let my dog go a few days/weeks too early, than a few days/weeks too late - the thought of them suffering brings me to tears, and they aren't even ill.

As much as I'd miss them, I can give them the gift of a pain free death.

Thank you Megan. I really am the controller of this and I find that hard. The thing with this disease is he is going downhill fast cause he has a severe case but he could still carry on for another couple of years but it will get worse and the pain will get worse & worse.

I'm so sorry you are faced with this decision. :cry:

I have made the hard decision a few times before and I believe the greatest gift I can give to any of my dogs is to have the strength to know when enough is enough and let them go while they still have their dignity and before the pain becomes unbearable for them and they loose their quality of life.

Again....I'm sorry :(

Thank you CD. I do need to keep his dignity in tacked.

Amen to that persephone! We know that people on here share our love for our dogs and feel our pain as well as sharing our happiness in the happy times.

That's why this place is a wonderful place. :)

Hey Sunny

Instead of poking the pills down give them in a bit of mince.

I have been doing this KOE breaking them up in his dinner but one of them is a capsule and Oscar is a pest and spits them out, he isn't silly. So I find myself poking it down there anyways. He has been really good as I give him a tiny treat after each one and he knows whats going on now.

I couldn't leave any of mine 'til they needed to be carried / force fed/ manually toileted or anything like that :o That is not 'living'. It is a personal preference - and perhaps I act too soon...

Whenever the time is - and whoever chooses it - it is hard, but I honestly believe the apprehension, the planning, and the impending loss is worse than afterwards, when you realise that your pet is not suffering anymore, and that they knew a few moment's peace and love as they drifted away.

Totally agree with this. I have had to put down 7 dogs and 2 cats over the years and my criteria with younger ones is if there is no hope of a normal life then it is time to let them go. With the oldies I usually get to point with illnesses were I decide that the next thing to go wrong with them will be the last, and stick to that decision.

Making the decision is by far the worst part of the whole process. We keep our dogs alive for us, not them. In nature they would already have passed away but with veterinary medicine we keep them going because it makes us feel better. Once the dog is no longer gaining any benefit from being here, it is time to let them go.

Once they are gone, it is sad because we miss them but we also have happy memories we wouldn't have had if they hadn't been a part of our lives. Having made the final tough decision to aid them on their way, leaves a feeling of relief and knowing you have done the right thing for them.

Gosh dancinbcs I am so sorry you've had to make this decision so many times.

In a way it would be a relief because I hate seeing him when he is trying to scratch the pain away and I can only imagine he is in pain whilst he isn't scratching but when he scratches it means it's bad. I can't keep saying "Oh hunny, try and ignore it and give him a cuddle". I've heard myself saying that too many times!

I also agree with Pers.

I had to put my beautiful Lexie to sleep last year. We missed the fact she had breast cancer until it was too late. But she was happy and able to continue on, but in July it was getting to be too much. She was in pain, it hurt to walk, she didnt want to eat. She told me it was time. It was the hardest thing i have ever had to do and I still cry over it. She was only 10 years old, and it broke my heart.

Oscar will tell you when its time.

Sorry you had to put your Lexie to rest Rysup, your poor girl. To think she got breast cancer!

Its such a personal decision, and you shouldn't feel rushed. Try and step back from the situation and imagine if it was a strangers dog - what would you think? We often see dogs at work where we think 'that doggy really needs to go' but the owners are totally oblivious - not because they are cruel, but because they love their dog and don't even want to contemplate losing them.

We recently had our young Dane put to sleep and it was awful. She had behavioural problems and very severe hip dysplasia. We made the decision to manage her until she became painful, and then we'd let her go. We managed her for a while with joint supplements and pain relief, but as the weather got colder, it was apparent that she was no longer comfortable. It was extra hard because we kept thinking maybe we should get surgery done - but how do you recover a dog who freaks out when she's confined? What about her behavioural issues - can we guarantee she will never get access to our other dog? Could we rehome her - but how do you rehome a dog who is terrified of pretty much everything? I know deep down it was the right decision, but that doesn't make it any easier. Sending you hugs and thinking of you.

Its such a personal decision, and you shouldn't feel rushed. Try and step back from the situation and imagine if it was a strangers dog - what would you think? We often see dogs at work where we think 'that doggy really needs to go' but the owners are totally oblivious - not because they are cruel, but because they love their dog and don't even want to contemplate losing them.

We recently had our young Dane put to sleep and it was awful. She had behavioural problems and very severe hip dysplasia. We made the decision to manage her until she became painful, and then we'd let her go. We managed her for a while with joint supplements and pain relief, but as the weather got colder, it was apparent that she was no longer comfortable. It was extra hard because we kept thinking maybe we should get surgery done - but how do you recover a dog who freaks out when she's confined? What about her behavioural issues - can we guarantee she will never get access to our other dog? Could we rehome her - but how do you rehome a dog who is terrified of pretty much everything? I know deep down it was the right decision, but that doesn't make it any easier. Sending you hugs and thinking of you.

Thank you Kirty, it is a very personal decision and in a little way I feel rushed but in another way I don't!

If I honestly step back and take my emotion out and if it was say a friends dog - I would think it is best to have them put to rest. The dog has a disease that is/will only get worse, there is no cure, no surgery nothing that can prevent the onset the only thing they can offer is pain relief and it's expensive and it isn't working 100% I would say some days it works 60 - 70% other days it works 30%. The owner has to decide at some point anyways as to when the dog is put to sleep as the pain relief will only work for so long if it all and the disease will only get worse.

So sorry to hear you had to put your young Dane to rest. What a horrible time and so much going against her not just her hips. I hope if we go ahead that I can find peace in the decision.

sunnyflower i am so sorry to read this thread about Oscar. I love cavs and looked into buying a pup last year from a breeder on the North Coast. I did loads of research on the breed and while on the waiting list for a pup from a breeder that MRI her breeding dogs I decided to do some fostering of greyhounds. Needless to say i ended up adopting a greyhound instead. Although i can not offer any advice my thoughts are with you while you make this hard decision. I can tell you love Oscar very much and i am sure he knows that you love him very much.

I'm so sorry SF, it must be a surreal time for you.

For me, its just gone past the 1 year anniversary since I was in the same position. My benchmark was when I felt he just wanted to go to sleep and for it all to go away. His was a brain tumor, so no pain involved but the confusion, and lack of dignity due to failing co ordination made him miserable. I still question if I should have tried surgery but I lean more towards that I did the right thing. He was a proud dog who hated being incapacitated. Every day was becoming torturous for him and in the end I felt more guilty being part of prolonging it than I did giving him his wings.

My heart goes out to you dealing with this decision with such a young dog. Never feel guilty or judged, as you are the guardian of his happiness.

As planned I said goodbye to my old girl this afternoon. This morning we played in the sun and made doggy paintings. I gave her a brush and just tried to make things as normal and pleasant as possible. I didn't start crying till in the car going to the vet (and didn't stop) but the deed itself is so quick and peaceful (although I have heard some dogs respond differently). She is buried in the back yard and despite the house feeling so empty I do not regret my decision at all. Once at the vet I had no doubts about whether it was the right time or whether she still had a few more days or weeks. She will still be part of this household in spirit just like her son before her is still part of my little family that is no longer with us physically. But I am so very sorry you are having to face this with such a young dog. Life can be unfair but if you believe in fate then trust that even if his time is short Oscar was meant to be with you and help you learn and grow.

Sunnyflower - I can really sympathize with what you are going through as I've been in the exact same spot.

My heart dog Abbi started getting sick a few years ago, after about 5k worth of tests etc we were told she had a brain tumor. She was in a terrible way and I questioned myself daily about what I should do. I wrote threads on here that matched yours pretty much word for word. :(

Everyone told me the same things as what they are telling you now. It helped to talk about it but didnt help me make a choice.

After about six months Abbi started getting well again. She still has her bad days but is in a position now to keep going. I'm glad I didn't put her down as she is enjoying life a lot more these days and can still have fun.

I know this won't last, I'm not silly, but for now we are just cherishing the time we have with her. Eventually she will go downhill again and I will no doubt come back on here looking for advice again even though I know in my heart what I have to do. It just helps to talk about it to other folks who love their dogs as much as I do.

So you see, you are not alone. And your feelings of confusion are totally normal and natural. One day you will see it in his eyes and you will know that it is the time. If you are in doubt now it's because he's not ready. Your gut will tell you and there will be no more confusion, you will know when he's ready to go.

Best wishes to you and your dear little pup. Stay strong and cherish every moment you have with him. Spoil him and enjoy him. Don't ever feel any guilt, you are a very loving and fantastic doggy mum, he's very lucky to have you. xxx

sunnyflower i am so sorry to read this thread about Oscar. I love cavs and looked into buying a pup last year from a breeder on the North Coast. I did loads of research on the breed and while on the waiting list for a pup from a breeder that MRI her breeding dogs I decided to do some fostering of greyhounds. Needless to say i ended up adopting a greyhound instead. Although i can not offer any advice my thoughts are with you while you make this hard decision. I can tell you love Oscar very much and i am sure he knows that you love him very much.

Thank you pipsmum. I hope one day you get to experience the love from a Cav, they are gentle little souls. I love my little guy very much and I am trying to tell myself that by loving him is not always keeping him by my side.

I'm so sorry SF, it must be a surreal time for you.

For me, its just gone past the 1 year anniversary since I was in the same position. My benchmark was when I felt he just wanted to go to sleep and for it all to go away. His was a brain tumor, so no pain involved but the confusion, and lack of dignity due to failing co ordination made him miserable. I still question if I should have tried surgery but I lean more towards that I did the right thing. He was a proud dog who hated being incapacitated. Every day was becoming torturous for him and in the end I felt more guilty being part of prolonging it than I did giving him his wings.

My heart goes out to you dealing with this decision with such a young dog. Never feel guilty or judged, as you are the guardian of his happiness.

Thank you Inevitablue. So sorry to hear you had to part with your boy. I does sound like for your boy you did the right thing. No doubt still a very hard decision.

As planned I said goodbye to my old girl this afternoon. This morning we played in the sun and made doggy paintings. I gave her a brush and just tried to make things as normal and pleasant as possible. I didn't start crying till in the car going to the vet (and didn't stop) but the deed itself is so quick and peaceful (although I have heard some dogs respond differently). She is buried in the back yard and despite the house feeling so empty I do not regret my decision at all. Once at the vet I had no doubts about whether it was the right time or whether she still had a few more days or weeks. She will still be part of this household in spirit just like her son before her is still part of my little family that is no longer with us physically. But I am so very sorry you are having to face this with such a young dog. Life can be unfair but if you believe in fate then trust that even if his time is short Oscar was meant to be with you and help you learn and grow.

Big Hugs to you PS. RIP to your beautiful old girl! It sounds like you had a wonderful morning with her. I do believe in fate PS and I am very grateful to have ever had this little man in my life than to have never had him at all. I just wish I could keep him forever.

Sunnyflower - I can really sympathize with what you are going through as I've been in the exact same spot.

My heart dog Abbi started getting sick a few years ago, after about 5k worth of tests etc we were told she had a brain tumor. She was in a terrible way and I questioned myself daily about what I should do. I wrote threads on here that matched yours pretty much word for word. :(

Everyone told me the same things as what they are telling you now. It helped to talk about it but didnt help me make a choice.

After about six months Abbi started getting well again. She still has her bad days but is in a position now to keep going. I'm glad I didn't put her down as she is enjoying life a lot more these days and can still have fun.

I know this won't last, I'm not silly, but for now we are just cherishing the time we have with her. Eventually she will go downhill again and I will no doubt come back on here looking for advice again even though I know in my heart what I have to do. It just helps to talk about it to other folks who love their dogs as much as I do.

So you see, you are not alone. And your feelings of confusion are totally normal and natural. One day you will see it in his eyes and you will know that it is the time. If you are in doubt now it's because he's not ready. Your gut will tell you and there will be no more confusion, you will know when he's ready to go.

Best wishes to you and your dear little pup. Stay strong and cherish every moment you have with him. Spoil him and enjoy him. Don't ever feel any guilt, you are a very loving and fantastic doggy mum, he's very lucky to have you. xxx

Danielle I am so sorry to hear about your beautiful Abbi. I am pleased to hear that she is still with you though and that your decision was held out only for her to have a good turn.

Oscar's couple of good days late last week have now turned back to my withdrawn concerned looking boy. He wet himself and his bed yesterday whilst we were out and then he wet himself another two more times whilst in the lounge room. My heart was completely shattered last night because I could see the clear distress in his eyes. He appeared to be confused! He couldn't understand why he was wetting himself and almost looked like he thought he was going to get into trouble.

I knew straight away what I need to do and it was just confirmed more this morning when he was having a couple of episodes and the panting was extremely heavy and he looked sad. I tried getting him to play and he just glared at me. He grabbed his toy and shook it a couple of times after 5 minutes of coxing and then dropped it and walked away. It was only to please me! The cat was jumping on him to play like he always has and it was just setting of his scratching episodes and he was getting annoyed with him.

Now my tears have gone from sadness of not having him with me to sadness of seeing him in pain and discomfort.

I am waiting for my vet to return my call and I know it's my decision but I need to hear it from him that this IS the right thing to do.

Now my tears have gone from sadness of not having him with me to sadness of seeing him in pain and discomfort.

I am waiting for my vet to return my call and I know it's my decision but I need to hear it from him that this IS the right thing to do.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

He is a lucky boy to have such a loving & caring owner. It is very hard to say goodbye but I think we are lucky that we get the chance to share our lives with them (even it is for a short time). I had to make the decision to give my girl her wings three years ago and I still miss her terribly. But I made her a promise that I would not keep her alive and in pain just so I would not have to part with her when her time came.

We all know what you are going through :grouphug:

I am a firm believer that if you make the decision with love in your heart you won't be able to make the wrong one. Trust that your love for Oscar will not lead you astray.

Thank you Corvus. Hearing positive thoughts like this makes me feel stronger and know that I am doing the right thing by him.

:hug:

Thank you B xx

:kissbetter: for you Sunnyflower - many others have said it so much better than I could - so no words - only hugs and strength to you and yours.

Thank you KHM. The help and support that has been offered here is more than I could have hoped for.

:hug::(

Letting them go is heartbreaking but when they're in pain it's the kindest thing to do - even though it may not seem like it at the time :(

It really does suck Tom but as you say it is the kindest thing. Seems so strange to me but it is completely right.. Thank you.

He is a lucky boy to have such a loving & caring owner. It is very hard to say goodbye but I think we are lucky that we get the chance to share our lives with them (even it is for a short time). I had to make the decision to give my girl her wings three years ago and I still miss her terribly. But I made her a promise that I would not keep her alive and in pain just so I would not have to part with her when her time came.

Thank you Shelby, it really does make me feel like I am not a bad owner when I am being told I am in fact a caring owner. I love him so much and will miss him more than words can ever describe. I am sorry you had to part with your girl, I am sure she is by your side in spirit every day.

My vet returned my call late this afternoon and he agreed that the kindest thing to do by Oscar would be to put him at rest and out of pain. First he wants to up the dose of his quarterzone tablets to 4 a day and see what happens there. If that doesn't help or he is still experiencing any pain then we will give him his wings! We have two weeks worth of this medication left but doubling it is a weeks worth so if it isn't helping within the week I guess in a week or two we will say goodbye to this very special boy. So close to his 3rd Birthday too.

Oh SF I know the pain you are feeling only too well :(

Make the most of what ever time you have .. Spoil him silly in anynway you can .

When the time came to give my boy (Jordi ) his wings it was so very tough .. It still is at times (it was Jan this year ) . We buried him in the yard and planted a tree for him .

I have another dog and got her about 8 mths ago ... We walk in honor of jordi most mornings or nights I think of him and our good times while I walk her ... It's hard but it helps .

Best wishes to you and Oscar

I am a firm believer that if you make the decision with love in your heart you won't be able to make the wrong one. Trust that your love for Oscar will not lead you astray.

Thank you Corvus. Hearing positive thoughts like this makes me feel stronger and know that I am doing the right thing by him.

:hug:

Thank you B xx

:kissbetter: for you Sunnyflower - many others have said it so much better than I could - so no words - only hugs and strength to you and yours.

Thank you KHM. The help and support that has been offered here is more than I could have hoped for.

:hug::(

Letting them go is heartbreaking but when they're in pain it's the kindest thing to do - even though it may not seem like it at the time :(

It really does suck Tom but as you say it is the kindest thing. Seems so strange to me but it is completely right.. Thank you.

Thank you Shelby, it really does make me feel like I am not a bad owner when I am being told I am in fact a caring owner. I love him so much and will miss him more than words can ever describe. I am sorry you had to part with your girl, I am sure she is by your side in spirit every day.

My vet returned my call late this afternoon and he agreed that the kindest thing to do by Oscar would be to put him at rest and out of pain. First he wants to up the dose of his quarterzone tablets to 4 a day and see what happens there. If that doesn't help or he is still experiencing any pain then we will give him his wings! We have two weeks worth of this medication left but doubling it is a weeks worth so if it isn't helping within the week I guess in a week or two we will say goodbye to this very special boy. So close to his 3rd Birthday too.