Pet Transport (who Do You Use)

Fordogs

3 members have voted

1. 1. Which pet transport company do you use?

• And how much do you pay?

I will be sending a puppy out of Canberra to Melbourne next week and I was wondering who to use. I sent an email to Dogtainers this morning, also to Pet Transport and neither have answered as yet, also phoned Jetpets, as I used them last year to send a puppy from Canberra to Adelaide they charged $218 for that trip but for this trip to Melbourne they want $300. Has there been a huge cost increase?

So what do you pay??? And

Who do you use?

Having used both Dogtainers and Jetpets often over the last couple of months, my advice is to ring both companies, get a quote, get a receipt/reference number, then pick the best, and book. There has been massive differences in BOTH companies lately. In fact just last week, one wanted $307, Melb to Hobart, the other wanted $170, but the owner of the dog, in Vic was quoted $150, so thats what we got it for ;) ... I am really starting to think they put their hand in a hat and draw out any number :mad ...

Good luck...

I use Dogtainers Sydney office and always ask for Errol.

I have used them for local, national and internation flights, for last 9 years.

Not one problem, always exceptional care for the dogs, excellent communication with me and new owners and knowledge of their job is exceptional.

They are the only choice as far as I am concerned!

(and I have no interest in the company).

Woodys, that is a great price, I now have a price from Dogtainers for $220.00 but is still expensive compared to what I paid Canberra to Adelaide with Jetpet / though this time Jetpet are much more expensive at $300.

Rajacadoo, I think that you are correct they pull a number out of a hat, there is NO reason or consistency for their pricing. When I last used Jetpet I had a quote for $230. to Adelaide and when I rung to pay they said $218. That was ok with me, even when I told them the accepted price was $230. ( I know silly me) :stupid:

Woodys, that is a great price, I now have a price from Dogtainers for $220.00 but is still expensive compared to what I paid Canberra to Adelaide with Jetpet / though this time Jetpet are much more expensive at $300.

Rajacadoo, I think that you are correct they pull a number out of a hat, there is NO reason or consistency for their pricing. When I last used Jetpet I had a quote for $230. to Adelaide and when I rung to pay they said $218. That was ok with me, even when I told them the accepted price was $230. ( I know silly me) :stupid:

Yep Fordogs, I think thats what they do, Im sure... I forgot that that, had happened to me as well, cant remember the exact pricings, but was told 1 price, by the time I had my credit card out, the price had gone down about $20 :confused::confused::confused: I didnt correct them though :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I will only use Jetpets now.

I used Dogtainers to ship two dogs to two different directions on two different airlines on the same morning about an hour apart.

The first was AAE/QANTAS to Canberra (as AAE is the only freight to do Canberra now)..Booked paid.. got email..

Arrived at AAE: Could not find the booking on the system. Rang the afterhours person. no information. Almost had to pay for freight again. Even though it was booked and paid two days prior.

The next dog was going Virgin to Launceston (again due to freight companies). I had PAID for a PP40 crate (bought rather than hire). I arrived and the crate was a PP20. I had to hang around the airport for 50 minutes for the person from Dogtainers to come to the freight office with a PP40 crate.

I just phone Virgin & Australian Air Express & ask for a price. Whichever gives the best, & best & easiest travel time for the animal, usually Virgin, I accept, book it & then take the animal to the airport myself. Easy.

Send a PM to wayrod, a member here. He's in the industry.

I haven't personally used him but many other DOLers have and all with great success.

+1

also that is for international to.

I only use jet pets now, Due to getting stuffed around by a few others....

sent a pup to Darwin ($155) and his brother to Hobart ($100)

both left from Melbourne and were sent only about a month ago.

I find there service great, I only deal with Kate though :)

If you can, fly the dog via Virgin Airways. AAE/QANTAS do charge more due to their pricing scale.

I know some airports now, will only accept animal freight through one company - AAE/QANTAS or VIRGIN. Found that one out last year when I was transporting pups/dogs around.

As I said previously, I know Canberra will only accept dogs via AAE/QANTAS, and Launceston by Virgin. I know Canberra used to have a Virgin freight terminal, as that is who I used to always fly with as they do tend to be cheaper.

I have used both Jet Pets and Dogtainers, Prices are similar depending on which airline you specify. But after my Major stuff up with Dogtainers, will never use them again

I saw your Darwin puppy last weekend, very cute. ;)

i only use JetPets... have been at the airport while others have tried lodging their pets through Dogtainers to find.. No crates & No Bookings... was thankful that i use JetPets as i have never had a problem with Jet Pets.. Prices i think are good $100 - $160 flying out of Brisbane to most capital cities...

their has been some changes in the industry though, with Quantas not accepting public to lodge their pets if using JetPets.. must be a JetPets representative, As far as i know it will be the same with all pet transport companies.. sucks as can no longer get early morning flights :( and from what i know JetPets may charge a $60 lodgement fee from some depots...

i only use JetPets... have been at the airport while others have tried lodging their pets through Dogtainers to find.. No crates & No Bookings... was thankful that i use JetPets as i have never had a problem with Jet Pets.. Prices i think are good $100 - $160 flying out of Brisbane to most capital cities...

their has been some changes in the industry though, with Quantas not accepting public to lodge their pets if using JetPets.. must be a JetPets representative, As far as i know it will be the same with all pet transport companies.. sucks as can no longer get early morning flights :( and from what i know JetPets may charge a $60 lodgement fee from some depots...

Just curious bordacollies4me, how you are able to get your dogs, from Brisbane to most capital cities, for such a low price, when one company wanted to charge me $307, with me providing my own crate, from Melb to Hobart :confused::confused::confused: ... There just seems to be no 'rhyme or reason' for the different prices ??? Bet if I rang tonight it would be a different price to the $307, quoted last week :mad:confused: ...

Is Hobart the dreaded city in this scenario :cry: ...

Edited by rajacadoo

I saw your Darwin puppy last weekend, very cute. ;)

Thank you Paptacular! He is a real sweet heart!

Kanati, please tell me HOW you manage to get such a great price? Vic to Darwin $155.00 and I only want this puppy to go to the next state and they want almost double that. And bordercollies4me $100 - $160 to most capital cities/

I am starting to feel like a victim here.

Last year, I had one puppy Brisbane to Launceston for $140.

Most BC pups go in either a PP40 or PP20 crate ( I prefer PP40) and are below 10 kilos.

Year before I flew two bc pups together to Darwin for $250.

Most of mine have been between $120 and $160

Kanati, please tell me HOW you manage to get such a great price? Vic to Darwin $155.00 and I only want this puppy to go to the next state and they want almost double that. And bordercollies4me $100 - $160 to most capital cities/

I am starting to feel like a victim here.

I have always used them and always delt with Kate. I just told her where the pups were to go and that the price needs to include the crate hire and that is the prices she gave me.

I don't think they were sale prices. Mind you they are the first pups i have sent to Darwin and Tassie. Most of mine are in VIC, QLD and WA.

Oh, and they are whippet pups, so i guess it would depend on the type of puppy (size) you are sending.