Is This For Real?!

jacqui835

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wonder if heaps of people got a labrador after marley and me :laugh: he pretty much destroyed the house. I cried my eyes out at the end :cry: i watched it for the 3rd time the other day and still cried. Did heaps of people get dogue de bordeaux after turner and hooch? i loved that movie :)

I think most times people ask for a few undred dollars so as to put off the people who only want a free dog or cannot afford to pay a few hundred dollars - as they are less likley to be able to afford the actual cost of owning a dog.

Ok true never thought of it that way,point taken. :)

Sadly, people will also take free dogs as bait dogs. Less of a problem these days thankfully.

i wonder if heaps of people got a labrador after marley and me

Sad but true, the number of lab puppies that turned up to class did increase and most of the owners loved Marley. We even had some called Marley!

And yes to those "Hooch dogs". At least some owners had researched (Or was it the breeders that picked good homes??)

I love the ones that ask for money.OK I try to understand peoples cucumstances change(I do try)moving overseas,death in the family but to advertise an animal in the paper and then say $200 ono makes me sick

I occasionally will ,phone people , or talk with them, when I know they have a dog to rehome ,and then tell them to ask for some money when advertising a dog . IF they like people, and they seem ok- then they can always back off on the money :) It has worked well in some cases I know of ....

Edited by persephone

I was horrified when a 'family friend' informed me that she 'had to get rid of Zues.' When I asked why she had to get rid of Zues, she said that she had been informed that he wasn't a purebred SBT. I said, 'Well, you got him from f&%*$# PP, so what do you except?' And then I asked why on earth she surrended him anyway. 'Oh, I don't want a mutt. I want to breed. I already have another pup lined up.' Through my anger, I asked if this new dog was a registered dog with papers. Nope. I do believe I walked out of the room in anger that day and I've actually never personally spoken to this women again - not that I really liked her anyway, she was my parent's friend.

No point even trying to point this women into the right direction. She had no feeling toward the dog she just sentenced to death. To make me even more upset, she told the RSPCA that the dog jumps up and bites. Now, I had seen this dog. It was a young boisterous dog that needed training and more exercise than it was getting. I told her as much on that occasion but she wasn't all that worried about it at that point. Sorry, some dogs are just doomed from the moment their family chooses them.

Edited by Henrietta

I love the ads that say""Free to good home 10 year old dog owner relocating real estate won't allow pets".JMPO but this one makes my blood boil.How can you have a pet for so long then give it up for rental reasons.I am a renter always have been always will be and have done so with dogs for 20 years.I don't hide them I just find a place that lets me have them.I've been lucky to stay in this area but if I couldn't I would relocate to where I can!I would never give up my four legged kids for love nor money.

These ads make me really angry also :mad imagine that poor dog lived with them for so long and they just up and leave him/her :cry: some people are mean.

Really piss poor excuse. I think these particular adds actually mean....dog is now 10 and starting to cost us money with a few small health issues therefore we don't want him/her anymore !! Let someone else take the responsibility.....I agree with the other posters..look to rent property's that WILL take pets !!

For goodness sake what's wrong with an anesthetic for 5 minute operation to cauterize the vocal cords to keep the bark lower.

Sorry apologies OT

Agree 100% - had my boy done 18 months ago, he was a nuisance barker and we had tried everything. I stayed and watched the op, over and done with in five minutes. Best $250 I ever spent, he can bark to his little hearts content now and does not bother anybody.

Very sad indeed. Although, unfortunately it doesn't suprise me either. :(

At work today we euthanased a lovely dog because he killed a chook. The chooks free range in the yard with the dog, and he decided to kill one for the first time yesterday. No attempt at all to try and separate them, just PTS the dog to "fix" the problem. :(

and in a couple of weeks they will most likely get another dog

I love the ones that ask for money.OK I try to understand peoples cucumstances change(I do try)moving overseas,death in the family but to advertise an animal in the paper and then say $200 ono makes me sick.Your ditching Fido but wouldn't mind a couple of bucks!My beautiful mum died 6 years ago this week and her Tenterfield Terrier was her life.Miss Tessa May still lives with my brother today because we would never have let her go with anyone but us.What's wrong with people!

I think most times people ask for a few undred dollars so as to put off the people who only want a free dog or cannot afford to pay a few hundred dollars - as they are less likley to be able to afford the actual cost of owning a dog.

Ok true never thought of it that way,point taken. :)

Perhaps its the cynic in me thinks, if they ask for money that actually shows the "care" for the dog, it has "value" rather than just giving it away :mad

Apart from a few exceptional reasons, the "excuses" for rehoming dogs (and cats!) these days for the new job o/s, new baby, disobedience, wrong fekkin colour, moving house,blah, blah, blah annoy the hell outa me - to put it mildly!!!!

Once a month or so I read our states trading-post type paper........and its full of these types of things....

Wish I new what the answer was :(

A tad off topic, but I know many families who have bought a Labrador because they are so calm and quiet and don't jump up.

Many people see guide dogs/seeing eye dogs, and just assume they come trained and well behaved. They have since learnt the hard way, and sadly, so have some of their dogs. :(

Advert: Person wanting a free puppy for very young child;any breed would do!! I wish that people had to sit a test and get a license to own an animal .

Yes, may also not want to pay for vaccinations ,desexing or decent food .I have come across people like this in the past.

A friend recently asked me if I knew anyone interested in an 18mo Husky that her friend was rehoming as he had to move into a unit. I gave her a bunch of advice to give him. Next thing I see her posting an ad for the dog, he wanted $850 for her!!! She was desexed but unpapered. I guess he wanted to recoup his expenses :rolleyes:

A tad off topic, but I know many families who have bought a Labrador because they are so calm and quiet and don't jump up.

Many people see guide dogs/seeing eye dogs, and just assume they come trained and well behaved. They have since learnt the hard way, and sadly, so have some of their dogs. :(

I have to say that as a Labrador breeder, one thing I do tell people is that Labrador puppies do NOT come as fully trained guide dogs. They dig holes, they chew stuff up and they need to be trained. They are NOT lazy, fat couch potatoes - its the owners that make them that way. And any dog is only as good as the effort you put in to it. Also tell them that some Labradors do take longer to "grow up" than others.

I encourage prospective puppy people to meet all of my dogs and see that they all do have different personalities.

Sadly the dumping age for Labs is around that 12 to 18 month mark when they are in the teenage stage, and they are big strong dogs.

Back to the topic though......I also hate seeing adverts for ppl trying to rehome their 10 yr old dog for some pretty lame excuse too. Yes, there are genuine cases and those I would understand, but some of the reasons just make me so angry and upset for those lovely dogs.

Oh gosh how horrid. I was walking past a house just today, and heard the distinct sound of a debarked dog. I didn;t think that was done anymore. I can honestly say in all the time i have walked past this house, day and night, they have never tried to stop the dog barking. Nope, just took the poor things voice away. I can;t believe some people

It was still audible so you can hardly say they took it's voice away.

The dog is most probably a nuisance barker and you have no idea what methods have been tried. There are far worse things for a dog than having its pitch lowered. I can't believe some people either :mad

Need a like button :)