Sigh...pet Shops.

quesada

Hi. I am just reading all these posts. My Labrador pup is 17 weeks old. I bought her from a registered breeder in NSW. She comes with full papers for breeding. I would like to breed from her as she is just so gorgeous but would i be considered a 'backyard breeder'.

I understand why you would want to breed, but your little girl being gorgeous is not reason enough :( Everyday so many dogs are put down in shelters, unless you are adding something to the breed e.g. 'raising the bar' with your litter then I think it is a bad idea.

Also bringing up a litter is an ENORMOUS amount of hard work, you will have many sleepless nights and many early starts. You could end up with a litter of 10 or so pups. How would you manage with 10 or so 7wk old labs tearing up the place ;)

A lot of people don't realise the risk to the bitch as well. Bitches do die giving birth and sometimes even with the best planning things go very very wrong. What if there is something wrong with the pups? Could you have them put down or keep them yourself if they ended up with a problem meaning they could not be rehomed? A member of DOL is going through this very scenario right now.

Good on you for asking the question though :thumbsup: Many people feel like you do and I am glad your girl is so special to you.

Edited by cmkelpie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rhy&ge

I have a question about pet shops -

What happens to the puppies at night when the shop is closed?? Surely they don't just put them out the back, or leave them in their glass boxes?? :eek: (Though honestly, it would not surprise me.)

The thing that shits me the most is that it encourages impulse buying. You see the pup and think "I'm in love! I want him!! Well, no time to read up on anything or think it over cos someone else might buy him! Here's my money!!"

:mad

What happens to the puppies at night when the shop is closed?? Surely they don't just put them out the back, or leave them in their glass boxes?? :eek: (Though honestly, it would not surprise me.)

The thing that shits me the most is that it encourages impulse buying. You see the pup and think "I'm in love! I want him!! Well, no time to read up on anything or think it over cos someone else might buy him! Here's my money!!"

Ive also wondered this?

Hi. I am just reading all these posts. My Labrador pup is 17 weeks old. I bought her from a registered breeder in NSW. She comes with full papers for breeding. I would like to breed from her as she is just so gorgeous but would i be considered a 'backyard breeder'. Of course I would use a stud dog with papers etc. But yer was just wondering whether it is frowned upon if you breed from a pedigree that has not been in shows etc. What is the breeding etiquette in other words? Thanks :-)

we all have to start somewhere but i'd research the lines and really do my homework on the puppy you bought, talk to the breeder find out what their thoughts are, talk to as many breeders as you can learn about the breed. find out if your dog is a good example of the breed.

had a query just today from a lady who has an unregistered poodle and wants to breed her to a male, she is for some reason studying patella luxation and PRA (maybe the dogs relatives are affected??) she says if she is going to pay the money she wants the stud tested. she wants to breed her little poodle because she bought her off her cousin who knows alot about the breed and has bred unreg poodles without papers.

so i pointed out to her that breeder is in breach if they let the dog service an unreg bitch plus if they test the stud and the family they aren't going to let just anyone use their dog. i told her she is better off forgetting the unknown factor in her bitch, she hasn't got pedigrees to work off to see whether the family of dogs are healthy or not and what she is going to bring to the pups produced.

then i blocked her because time and time again i get abused by telling people the truth that they don't want to hear. :( the last lady i told the truth to politely mind you, she was going to call the police on me :laugh:

Edited by toy dog

Hi. I am just reading all these posts. My Labrador pup is 17 weeks old. I bought her from a registered breeder in NSW. She comes with full papers for breeding. I would like to breed from her as she is just so gorgeous but would i be considered a 'backyard breeder'.

I understand why you would want to breed, but your little girl being gorgeous is not reason enough :(Everyday so many dogs are put down in shelters, unless you are adding something to the breed e.g. 'raising the bar' with your litter then I think it is a bad idea.

Also bringing up a litter is an ENORMOUS amount of hard work, you will have many sleepless nights and many early starts. You could end up with a litter of 10 or so pups. How would you manage with 10 or so 7wk old labs tearing up the place ;)

A lot of people don't realise the risk to the bitch as well. Bitches do die giving birth and sometimes even with the best planning things go very very wrong. What if there is something wrong with the pups? Could you have them put down or keep them yourself if they ended up with a problem meaning they could not be rehomed? A member of DOL is going through this very scenario right now.

Good on you for asking the question though :thumbsup: Many people feel like you do and I am glad your girl is so special to you.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Great response!

Breeding certainly isn't all roses. Add to that scanario the Saturday night trip to the emergency vet to deliver your pups which are too big for mum to deliver. Then losing 2 in the ordeal. And mum having a ruptured uterus due to the stress of birth, so after paying for all the health testing, your best dog only has one litter. No it's not an exaggeration, this was my experience 7 weeks ago. Make sure you have some spare cash stashed away, because they want the $2500 bill paid for on the night or they don't treat the dog.

I have 5 seven week old lab puppies at the moment, the mess I get up to in the morning could be rivalled by a clydesdale! :eek::vomit:

Most people love their dog so much that they think it "should" have a litter to share some of the dog's greatness. If you are serious, lots of research is a good start, and an objective set of eyes to tell you if your dog is really up to breed quality. I would be wary of breeders who sell whole litters on main reg to pet homes, their dogs aren't always the best specimens themselves, sometimes it's just a marketing gimmick to sell the pups, and usually for a bit more cash.

Feel free to PM me if you want further info. :)

Lovemesideways, i wouldn't think about breeding because me dog is 'pretty' as you put it, I said gorgeous... Meaning she is beautiful, and smart and full of character. She is easy to train and loves being with her family. She also loves exploring and chilling out. Don't be so quick to judge. She is 4 months I am just exploring my options. She came from two beautiful parents who were not show dogs but were used for guide dogs and many of their pups have become guide dogs since. So why would I have to showherin order for her to have a great litter of pups? I dounderstand why people show their dogs but I don't think it's necessary in order to be a breeder. If she conforms with the breed standards, and has a lovely nature then surely she could produce the same pups whether she had a show status or not. Anyway this is all just a dream at the moment, one that may never come in to effect. I just wanted a little information and advice so thankyou to everyone. Thankyou got nuthin... I will definitely take you up on your offer and pick your brains re. Breeding :-) I like to get as much info as possible before making any serious decisions and this will definitely be one of the biggest decisions and commitments I ever make, so if I do go down this path with my beautiful Olive you can be sure I will do it right or not at all! :-D

Hi. I am just reading all these posts. My Labrador pup is 17 weeks old. I bought her from a registered breeder in NSW. She comes with full papers for breeding. I would like to breed from her as she is just so gorgeous but would i be considered a 'backyard breeder'. Of course I would use a stud dog with papers etc. But yer was just wondering whether it is frowned upon if you breed from a pedigree that has not been in shows etc. What is the breeding etiquette in other words? Thanks :-)

Yes, that would be backyard breeding.

Not necessarily. I bred Labs in WA for a decade or so. There is huge demand for Lab pups, and many people end out going to other breeds cause they can't find a Lab when they want a pup. Most of the WA breeders are pretty friendly and helpful. If you work with a respected breeder, do the necessary health checks, and spend some time learning the breed standard . . . and after that you feel your pup is worth breeding from . . . I wouldn't consider you a BYB. I would consider you a BYB if you skip health checks, breed from a Limited Register dog and/or bitch, and/or don't consult with the breeder you bought from about whether your lovely pup is worth breeding from. Oh yes, you also have to take a breeder's exam and register with the CAWA.

There are some people who consider almost everyone BYB's . . . but those folks can be ignored.

Edited by sandgrubber

Anyway this is all just a dream at the moment, one that may never come in to effect. I just wanted a little information and advice so thankyou to everyone. Thankyou got nuthin... I will definitely take you up on your offer and pick your brains re. Breeding :-) I like to get as much info as possible before making any serious decisions and this will definitely be one of the biggest decisions and commitments I ever make, so if I do go down this path with my beautiful Olive you can be sure I will do it right or not at all! :-D

As someone else mentioned, everyone has to start somewhere! My breed of choice are Kelpies, as a result I doubt I will ever breed, there are just too many young and healthy kelpies being euthanised everyday :(

If Olive does end up being a great representation of her breed and you go down the path of breeding, at least you are going into it with your eyes wide open :thumbsup: Glad you are enjoying your pup so much as well! When my first kelpie was that age she was such a handful I did not think I would ever own another dog let alone breed :laugh: Little monster has improved greatly since then though, and now I have another little terror :D

Edited by cmkelpie

That's great advice. Thankyou! She is on the mains register, and I am already looking at watching a lab show next month. I will take her along and hopefully speak to some of the friendly breeders, and like you suggested get an unbiased opinion as to whether she is breeding quality or perhaps just the best pet baby in the world :-D

I have relo's that live next door to our local pet shop owner's home & I am sincerely hoping this is not the norm regarding what happens to these little darling's after the pet store has closed.

As one night, quite late she could here puppies crying near there boundary fence in the rain & went to investigate. They climbed the fence as no one was home,to find 6 puppies ( lucky to be 8 weeks old ) with no

water,food, shelter or bedding!!!!! :banghead:

She tried her best to give them some shelter with a tarp & put 2 old doonas down & some food, which they devoured straight away & they snuggled into the bedding & went straight to sleep. Poor little buggers. :cry:

The next morning she went to see them but they were gone. Probably back in the bloody shop window !!!! How do these people sleep at night. :mad she has since reported this incident but didn't think to take any pic's at the time & without them there is no evidence.

I will not enter a pet store, buying all my dog needs online & I don't believe they should be allowed to sell anything with a heart beat. Leave that to the experienced breeder's.

They are kept out the back of the shop in wire crates stacked on top of each other.I have seen these a few times.

They are kept out the back of the shop in wire crates stacked on top of each other.I have seen these a few times.

:mad:cry:

:mad:cry:

Thats so horrible :cry: id hate to think what would happen if they got hurt overnight :cry:

Yes, that would be backyard breeding.

Not necessarily. I bred Labs in WA for a decade or so. There is huge demand for Lab pups, and many people end out going to other breeds cause they can't find a Lab when they want a pup. Most of the WA breeders are pretty friendly and helpful. If you work with a respected breeder, do the necessary health checks, and spend some time learning the breed standard . . . and after that you feel your pup is worth breeding from . . . I wouldn't consider you a BYB. I would consider you a BYB if you skip health checks, breed from a Limited Register dog and/or bitch, and/or don't consult with the breeder you bought from about whether your lovely pup is worth breeding from. Oh yes, you also have to take a breeder's exam and register with the CAWA.

There are some people who consider almost everyone BYB's . . . but those folks can be ignored.

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry. Not showing doesn't make you a BYB, but breeding without being registered with the ANKC, not doing the necessary health checks and so on does IMO.

It sounded to me like Olivebaby just wanted to breed two Labs together in the hope that they'd all be as gorgeous as her girl.

Olive, if you actually do the research and spend a good while learning about breeding and do all the necessary health tests and so on, then props to you.

Edited by iltby™

Guest rhy&ge

Oh my god :mad:

Who the hell works in those places? And how can they just stand by and be okay with that?!?

It depends on the pet store, I think. Pet's Paradise leave them in their cages overnight :( The one here in Civic is heart-breaking - it's a big mess with so many live animals.

A few weeks ago, they had husky puppies, there's only one left now - a big, gorgeous, affectionate 12 week old fellow who was the last of his litter to be sold. He's too big for the glass cages and I guess they can't put him in with the oodles so he has a wire crate to himself now, but I'm not sure how much longer he'll be there. I asked the staff member what happens to him if he can't be sold and she said that he would be taken home by a staff member and sold 'privately'. :( She comes in at 5am to let the dogs run around the store for 3 hours but I suspect that's just because she's an animal-lover. The husky is quite heart-breaking because he is just getting so big and yet he's still such a hopeful, affectionate pup who loves cuddles. I really hope he can find a home and I really hope that one day we won't have to see dogs in pet stores anymore.

A couple of years ago i called the rspca and council about a notorious pet shop where some older pups had spent many weeks in their glass fish tanks.One was 7 months old.They were only let out a bit in the morning when the guy got to work he told me;or if customer wanted to check them out in the courtyard.I sent an email to a dog rescue group and they posted my email on this forum.I was not a member then;but i kept up with the big to do that followed.In the end the thread had to be deleted because the pet shop owner had got security people in as DOLers had planed to go down there.One pup at the store was let out for me to see.He kept running off a retaining wall and crashing head first onto the concrete as he did not know there were different ground levels out in the world.He was 15 weeks old Weimaraner x.Other ones there at the time were.7 month Border Collie x kelpie ;5 month old Mastiff x Ridgeback;3 juvenile cattle dogs;3 Weimaraner x lab x boxer,15 weeks old.It seems the law allows this because they have food water and shelter. Never mind that these animals have brains;or feel hot cold bored scared or lonely. If we put a chimpanze in a glass box like this there would be an immediate outcry and response. So how can society allow dogs cats an other pets to be treated like baked beans on a shelf.

Lovemesideways, i wouldn't think about breeding because me dog is 'pretty' as you put it, I said gorgeous... Meaning she is beautiful, and smart and full of character. She is easy to train and loves being with her family. She also loves exploring and chilling out. Don't be so quick to judge. She is 4 months I am just exploring my options. She came from two beautiful parents who were not show dogs but were used for guide dogs and many of their pups have become guide dogs since. So why would I have to showherin order for her to have a great litter of pups? I dounderstand why people show their dogs but I don't think it's necessary in order to be a breeder. If she conforms with the breed standards, and has a lovely nature then surely she could produce the same pups whether she had a show status or not. Anyway this is all just a dream at the moment, one that may never come in to effect. I just wanted a little information and advice so thankyou to everyone. Thankyou got nuthin... I will definitely take you up on your offer and pick your brains re. Breeding :-) I like to get as much info as possible before making any serious decisions and this will definitely be one of the biggest decisions and commitments I ever make, so if I do go down this path with my beautiful Olive you can be sure I will do it right or not at all! :-D

Good on you for asking questions Olivebaby.

I am sure your baby is gorgeous! Baby labs are just the cutest aren't they?

However, most reputable breeders breed for a purpose whether that be working, show or sports.

There are also a lot of expensive tests to do on both the male and female before breeding as well as the risk to the bitch.

You said your dog was from guide dog lines? Perhaps approach Guide Dogs and ask them about joining the breeding program?

If your pup as you say, is healthy and with a good temperament, they might like to use her as a breeding dog. This way you'll also recieve lots of support and good new homes will be guarenteed for some of the puppies and you will be contributing to a worthy cause. Just a thought....

The other option is to get out there competing in showing (although in my experience guide dog labs don't really have the right conformation for showing in general as they breed for temperament primarily, not looks, though I am sure there are some exceptions), dog sports such as agility, obedience or retrieving trials. Once you have proven your dog excels in its chosen field, you will probably have some people interested in puppies and will be breeding for a purpose.

Please consider why you want to breed and remember all the dogs that are put to sleep in shelters each day (including labs :()