Questions About Professional Groomers?

I took Poppy to the groomers today. One in Brisbane. This was only her thrid time at a professional groomer and the second time at this particular groomer. The first person I took her two (can't even call her a professional) turned out to be a huge BYB supporter but told me she worked for the RSPCA and lectured me about having a cross breed! Anyway...that's a whole other thread that's already been done! ;)

This place in Brisbane was great the first time I took her. They did exactly what I wanted without ruining the CKCS look of her coat (Poppy is a CKCS X - but VERY CKCS looking(. Anyway this time they were good too but didn't do all the things they did last time. They didn't trim and tidy up her tail, they didn't shave around her bottom and they didn't trim her back thighs where her coat is quite fluffy and has been matting. They did trim her feet and tidy up her belly. And they washed her and she looks and smells amazing! But when I went to pick her up I heard her crying. I got there about 30 mins early because I didn't have anything else to do in Brisbane. When I bath and groom her she doesn't mind at all. She's used to being touched all over and having her nails cut so it made me feel a little sick in the stomach to hear her crying. Is this normal/okay?

Oh and I attached a little photo of her... :D

post-33317-0-47596800-1306739099_thumb.jpg

What were they doing to her when she was crying? Did you actually see what was going on when she was crying?

As for what wasn't done, give them a call and mention it. You should have mentioned it before you paid and took her away so they had a chance to rectify the issue but I can guess that you may have had other things on your mind right then :)

She might have been groomed by another groomer at the salon, maybe that's why it was a bit different. You also do have to remember that when you bath her your there and most likely in your home so that's why she wouldn't cry but because she's in a different environment away from you she may have been a bit anxious, which is not bad for a dog to have small doses of stress, or she could of heard your car pull up and got excited.

Next time when you take her to the groomers just make clear to them how you liked her groomed so it's done the way you like it.

She might have been groomed by another groomer at the salon, maybe that's why it was a bit different. You also do have to remember that when you bath her your there and most likely in your home so that's why she wouldn't cry but because she's in a different environment away from you she may have been a bit anxious, which is not bad for a dog to have small doses of stress, or she could of heard your car pull up and got excited.

Next time when you take her to the groomers just make clear to them how you liked her groomed so it's done the way you like it.

Agree with all the above.:thumbsup:

Cavaliers are very vocal in any system with a cry/whine/talk bark.We groom alot of pure cavies that do this & nearly all the Cavie crosses have this trait.

If it was the above style cry i wouldn't be concerned at all.

If you didn't ask for a specific trim then what was done is "normal cavie" what you want is not normal but often asked by people so you need to remind them BUT the salon should also have asked what you wanted ,we ask every groom "do you want the same "

From my experience working in a pet shop with a grooming salon attached, I see a lot of dogs come in and cry for many reasons. Being away from comfortable surroundings is probably the biggest, the noises/smells and to be completely honest, some of the groomers out there are nothing like they appear once you leave the shop :( . And in response to not getting what you want done. Any reputale grooming salon will fix your dog up free of charge if your not completely happy because they want to keep your business and not gain bad reputaion.

My first thought was she was crying because she knew you were there and some dogs do start to play up when mum is around - which is why a lot of groomers ask the owners to leave the dog for a set period of time.

Cavaliers won't normally have a bum shave, especially if the body coat is being left longer. Tails don't always need much of a trim and each groomer will have a different idea of what makes a nice length for the feathers. Next time, try writing down what you want and then the groomer working on her can have something to refer to, so if you want the tail left with 5cm of feathering or just 2cm make sure you say how much as short to one groomer is either shaved right off or fairly long to another. It really helps me when people give me a measurement instead of just saying 'short' or 'cute and fluffy'

Rule one - tell them what you want. IF you dont, they wont know. They do so many dogs in between your visits that there is no way on earth they can remember what they did last time, beyond the basics that get recorded (like coat length etc).

I always make a point in asking the client what they want done.....and I DONT like it when they say, oh like last time. I have to tell them I just dont remember last time!!

Tell them what you want done, that's the easy bit.

I have Cav's come in that scream and whinge the place down for their entire grooming session. One even screams ( for no reason ) on the table, in the bath and under the dryer. He's not frightened of being groomed or being man handled, he just gets excited and screams.

Some dogs are excellent and others whinge constantly, regardless of how they behave at home.