Dryers For Toy Long Coated Breed

Hi guys,

Just wondering what the recomendations are for dryers for long coated toy breeds? These guys are show pups so need to begood on the coats. Just too many brands to choose from.

Thanks in advance guys for suggestions and tips

Bec

Hi angelsophie

Is this a dryer for your own personal use, or one to recommend to puppy-buyers?

I have Afghans and Poms, and use an Oldfields Maxidry Master. It has a variable speed setting that is particularly useful, and has a flexible hose that I find a bit of a handful to manage, even though I have a H-Frame to hold the dogs still for me.

I find the dryer to be really handy, all told. Once I learned the ins and outs of it, and how to use it on each dog, it cut the time I spent drying them by a huge amount - even from dripping wet - and leaves the dogs with breed-appropriate coat texture.

Blast drying like this also really does condition the dogs' skin and coat and give them that extra zing :)

Hey there

Its for use on my havanese.

I have 4 but one is clipped off and will be forever, one is growing back his coat (well we'll try LOL) two are 3 month old puppies.

Coat type varies alot and the two babies are different litters and certainly different coat types. Holly takes no time with a human hairdryer and Jonah takes AGES laugh.gif

Just though those with toy breeds like yourself maybe able to point me in the right direction.

Bec

I too have an oldfield. Variable speed with heater.

Oldfield's are more expensive. But they are solid. They have a good steel case.

I used to have a libertyforce Ultra. Not a bad dryer, cheap and not heated. I found the plastic started breaking after awhile.

I have heard varying reports of Ezycoat Dryers and Double K. Some love them, some don't. Both are cheaper than the Oldfield.

Definitely look at a heated model. Variable speed is good for heads, final grooming, puppies and timid dogs.

I have a Laserlites tabletop dryer I bought second hand from a Havanese breeder. It's fantastic because it leaves both my hands free to brush the coat, plus it's very quiet and doesn't scare the dogs.

It's very good quality, all metal casing, and I can have it going for hours without it overheating.

If you are going to be drying any in full coat, i would not recommend a force dryer. You will end up with whip knots all through that coat and end up doing damage trying to ease out the knots you blow in! I use EzyCoat dryers. I have 2 of their force dryers , which are wonderful for short coats, thick coats, and clipped off coats, and coats that are going to be clipped down after the bath/blow dry, but a bit too powerful if you are drying long soft full coats.

I also have the EzyCoat centrifugal stand dryer. It has heat option of no heat, low heat and high heat, with quite low air flow. It is ideal for blow drying while you gently brush, to straighten and dress the coat into position. It is very benign air flow and noise, ideal for puppies too. The EzyCoat is quite expensive, but after using the 2 force dryers of that brand for over 8 yrs with absolutely no maintenance issues, i didn't hesitate, and haven't been disappointed. Centifugal dryers are renowned for lasting years & years.

In short, i would recommend a stand dryer with relatively low air flow, over a force dryer.

Edited by DBT

If you are going to be drying any in full coat, i would not recommend a force dryer.

Yep. Look around for a second hand Simpson stand dryer.

I have Afghans & Lowchen and second the motion for a Simpson stand dryer.

Force dryers are not good for really long coated breeds. Shorter, thick puppy coat they work well but for long silky coats it takes a deft hand to stop them causing twisted knots.

Simpson dyers are my first and second choice. Laser Lites stand comes in third.

Edited to say - Simpsons last 30+ years of use. Picking up one second hand is the best way :)

Edited by Lowenhart

• 1 month later...