Litters Due August 2011

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so having just organised to post in here, I thought I would join this thread. I'm a first time breeder, and determined to do it right from the start (although am off to a rough start already).

My GSD bitch is due 18th August, so she's 6 weeks this Thursday. This is our second attempt, after she reabsorbed last time around 6-7 weeks. The vet and I thought it was due to an infection, however her prog level was 41 on Friday, so she's on regumate to try and maintain this pregnancy. Most likely last time she acted "sick" afer reabsorbing, although there was 3 somethings visible on x-ray at 7-8 weeks, so guess I'm at a bit of a loss there (she must have passed something and cleaned up while I wasn't home after that x-ray I guess). This time, there was only 1 puppy visible, so there's not much in there regardless (possibly another 1-2 hiding if we're lucky).

This will be my last attempt with her, as I don't want to breed a bitch knowing she'll require hormone support or that needs help just to produce more than 1-2 pups, and it's been too draining emotionally and financially with her.

Hoping to get something out of her, but guess I'm not that optimistic this time.

Sorry to hear she aborted last time. Glad you've found out the problem with the low progesterone so with supplementation hopefully all will go well with this pregnancy. Breeding has can be heart breaking at times with a lot of disappointments. Lets hope you get some crackers.

My girl has got to the itchy belly stage. Scratching her belly and nibbling around her nipples. It is starting to get a bit red and crusty around some of them. Does anyone have any tips on preventing or helping with the itches?

My girl has got to the itchy belly stage. Scratching her belly and nibbling around her nipples. It is starting to get a bit red and crusty around some of them. Does anyone have any tips on preventing or helping with the itches?

Try some Pawpaw ointment as it does not matter if she eats it.

Try some Pawpaw ointment as it does not matter if she eats it.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Welcome Sir Sniffalot and MissMaddy.MissMaddy is this your girl that I know???? Sorry can not think of her name.

Yep that's my girl you've met, Zali would be her name. :)

Thanks Chocolate, I'm glad we figured out the problem, but I was hoping myself and the repro vet (Michael Bell) were right and it was an infection (I had my other 2 dogs out at a show the week before she went off her food and started vomiting green bile). We have only seen 1 puppy on both ultrasounds, and she's not particlarly big (although does have a definite bulge), so I'm not holding my breath for many (if any) more. Last time we saw 3 remains of puppies on x-ray, so she must have gotten to ossification stage at least. At least we can now show long coats, so even if that's all I get I can keep it! :laugh:

She's getting close to when she went off her food, etc last time, so I'm sort of holding my breath at the moment! :o

When should I expect more nipple development?

They've gotten really soft, pinker and slightly bigger, but no major mammary development. Hoping sge has no issues with milk, although my rotty bitch's mum always used to produce milk around puppies so maybe she'll come in handy were that to happen! :rofl:

They've gotten really soft, pinker and slightly bigger, but no major mammary development. Hoping sge has no issues with milk, although my rotty bitch's mum always used to produce milk around puppies so maybe she'll come in handy were that to happen! :rofl:

Probably should start happening from now on.

My girl didn't start mammary enlargement until week 7 and she is now developing quite the under carriage. I have faith in the supplementation your girl is getting will maintain pregnancy for her but the only thing to be aware of is issues with whelping a singleton. Sometimes the single puppy will not produce enough hormone to start labour and then a cesarian is required.

Thanks guys, was thinking around now things should start happening. She's definitely getting a bigger tummy, and is only getting another 1/2 cup of food in the mornings (so around 20% extra from 5 1/2 weeks), so not enough to put on this much weight.

The vet I'm using up here has already pretty much said if no labour within 24 hours of the temp drop (although I might ask for prog tests as well given how often it's missed, but I'm guessing as she's being supplemented it'll drop once we stop at day 59 anyway) that we'll do a caesar. I stuffed up my days off at work, so have to work for about 2-3 days when she'll be due for the caesar, so hopefully it'll work around that, but I also have my rotty's breeder coming to stay to help me thank goodness!

She'll be x-rayed at 8 weeks to double check numbers (I am hoping and praying for at least 2!).

Still progressing along here.Miley is due on Tuesday but still has no milk. Should I be worried. Cheers Sharon

Glad all is going well. No need to be worried bitches vary with milk production. My girl has really developed her under carriage but I haven't squeezed yet to see if there is milk but she isn't due for a while yet. A couple of nights ago I felt kicks :thumbsup: Have you been feeling the puppies kicking? I have one active kicker but haven't felt much else.

Sounds like Missymoo might have something to tell us!