Goodbye My Tiny Spike

MelodysMum

You were the tiniest little baby when Daddy found you on the floor in the aviary. Your parents had kicked you out of the nest. They probably knew something that we didn't, but we couldn't let you die, so you came inside and you have lived in a cage on my desk for the past two months. It took you a little while to work out what I was doing feeding you with a syringe, but gradually you worked it out, and you would get so excited when you saw me walking towards you with your food, chirping excitedly and jumping all over the cage.

The weeks went by, but you didn't really grow much, and you didn't learn how to crack seed like a grown up bird. We brought another bird in on Friday night, to stay with you for a few days and teach you how to eat seed. We decided to turn off the light that had kept you warm for all these weeks, thinking that you would be all right without it and that it would disturb the other bird. When I found you on Saturday morning, so close to death, unconscious and convulsing, I never thought I would be able to save you. But you were a fighter, and with the light turned on again gradually you came back to life, and started cheeping again when I called you. We took the other bird back outside and decided to give you a bit more time by yourself. You were your usual self by Saturday night and even this morning we had a cuddle after I fed you.

But the stupid light broke this afternoon, and while I was waiting for your dad to come home and fix it for me I put another light on you to try to keep you warm. I should have realised it wasn't enough when you were hanging upside down right up against the light, trying to keep warm. I could not believe it when Megan told me this afternoon that you were dead. :cry:

My dear little Spike, I am so sorry that I didn't keep you safe. I tried to keep you warm, but the light wasn't the same. I would have carried you around all day with me if I had known you weren't warm enough. :cry: But you got cold and I wasn't there for you. :cry:

I know that there was probably something wrong with your tiny body, but I had really hoped after this long and after the fight you put up on Saturday, that you were going to make it.

You were only a tiny little bird, but you won my heart. My office is so quiet and empty without you here tonight, I miss you so much. Goodbye my tiny Spikey boy. Thank you for the wonderful eight weeks of companionship and joy that you gave me, I will remember you every year on my birthday. Your death has made my birthday today a very, very sad day. I love you!

Spike3.jpg

Spike2.jpg

`He looked like a gorgeous boy Wendy and you named him after my favourite vampire! It is hard to lose a little one that fought so hard but you gave him more than his parents did and he obviously loved you back with all his chirping. Big hugs. XXX

RIP Spike. Wendy, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he was one very sweet boy. You gave him a chance and a life most people wouldn't have if they were born into their family. You gave him hope and that is a very wonderful and caring thing! Wish there were more people like you!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Thank you so much everyone for your kind words and for understanding how I feel. :cry: I knew that the DOLers would understand in a way that nobody else could.

I have only just been able to bring myself to post in here again. I can't believe how much losing my little Spike has affected me. :cry: I am starting to be able to think of him without crying but it still hurts so much! :(

It has been a tough week, I think of him every time I sit at my desk, his cage was here with me. :( I will never forget my baby boy. :cry: