Can U Split Senitinal Spectrum Chews Between Dogs?

Tablets, yes, but not really the chews--you don't know if there's an equal dose throughout the chew (if the chew is anything like the meaty ones you get in heartguard). I can understand it would get expensive with four dogs--I'd probably get something in tablet form to split up.

The advice from the rep is not to split... but plenty of our clients do, I know the Drontal chews you can split, I find it a bit weird that the active ingredient wouldn't be spread around.

I would imagine splitting one into quarters may be a bit tricky as well.. we usually recommend a half split.

so....next question if I may - what do people recommend? what other options are there. I don't want the heartworm injection.

Thankyou guys for your advice/input

Oh and given two are babies currently it would be a halfway split for now as the adults are in the next one up

Bec

Having worked at Novarits for a number of years you can't split tablets or the new chews. If you do this your dog may not get the full coverage that is needed, this is why there is the weight range across the product.

Having worked at Novarits for a number of years you can't split tablets or the new chews. If you do this your dog may not get the full coverage that is needed, this is why there is the weight range across the product.

You'd expect the manufacturer to say that!

My vet said you can split them, which makes sense when you consider the weight range of the dog specified on the box in relation to each size of tablet/chew. For example, Interceptor blue can be given to 22KG dogs and 45KG dogs. So the manufacturer is saying it's OK to give dogs the same dosage even if one is twice the weight of the other. Clearly precision in dosage/weight ratio is not extremely important when it comes to worming.

My vet said you can split them, which makes sense when you consider the weight range of the dog specified on the box in relation to each size of tablet/chew. For example, Interceptor blue can be given to 22KG dogs and 45KG dogs. So the manufacturer is saying it's OK to give dogs the same dosage even if one is twice the weight of the other. Clearly precision in dosage/weight ratio is not extremely important when it comes to worming.

Thats an interesting point...I have a 24kg dog, and a 5kg dog, does this mean I could hack a corner off an interceptor blue and do both dogs?

Indeed, with most worming products there is a high margin of safety. As for example, with Horse Wormers where you can get a great deal of spillage from the mouth and weight is usually guesstamated.

Also given that the product is probably made in a production line 'en mass' and cut and shaped by a machine into the required sizes I cannot see why you can't do that yourself?

Perhaps it could be to protect the company from people not dividing the portions correctly and the product becoming ineffective. Not advising people to cut it up could be a "disclaimer" of sorts. :shrug:

I have two mini schnauzers and I get the 11-22kg. dose chews and halve them. My vet also mentioned to me that I could do so. It also seems that they can be given 6 weekly rather than weekly.