What Shampoo Is Best For An Itchy Dog?

What shampoo is best for an itchy dog?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What shampoo do you use?

• Fidos (Everyday/Oatmeal & Baking Soda/Aloe)
    • Dermcare (Natural/Aloveen)
    • PAW (Nutriderm/Sensitive Skin/2 in 1)
    • Virbac (Episoothe/Allergroom S)
    • Troy (Oaticoat)
    • Ilium Luvable
    • Squirt
    • Natures Answer Sulphate Free
    • Human Shampoo
    • Other (please specify below)
  2. 2. Why do you like the shampoo you use?

• Smells lovely
    • Cleans coat really well
    • Helps with itchy skin
    • Natural
    • Vet advised to use it
    • Price

Kodi is a really annoying non-specific itcher (definately no issues with infections/allergies) and now that I'm not working I'm hanging out with the dogs all day and the itching is driving me nuts! I'm thinking I might try another shampoo with her to see how that goes, just wondering what other people use and why? There are so many choices in the pet store!

I was recommended "Groomers Evening Primrose Oil" Shampoo (http://www.groomersproducts.com.au) and have found that to be good, nice and gentle on your own hands too.

ETA: I have also noticed my pup has been scratching much less since we started using Advantage Flea spot on (we had been using Frontline prior to that)

Edited by ButerflyGirl

You forgot to include Calendula Tea :D.

Not a shampoo, but that's what makes it so good (apart from it's antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities)as it doesn't disturb pH levels as shampoos can. This is to support the skin, rather than to make the "whites whiter than white" though.

Edited by Erny

The best is whatever your dog does well on.

Alot of allergic dogs do really badly on Aloveen as it contains Oatmeal. There was a video form a Vet that was talking about Oatmeal feeding Yeast infections and that Oatmeal shampoos should really only be used for Dry flaky Skin.

My itchy Dog gets washed on human QV Shampoo and rinsed is White Vinegar diluted with water and/or the QV oil that acts as a barrier/conditioner - this works best for him but may be off no use to other dogs.

Ollie has been an allergy prone dog from day one.. Every spring he gets red and itchy feet and often red and itchy on his belly too - obviously something in the grass at the park (if I kept him home for a week, he would be OK but everytime we went back to the park, it would flare up again)...

We have always used Malaseb - it works and can be diluted to treat small areas by just bathing with the diluted solution.

Think it depends on what the itching is caused by.

If allergy to something internal.. Nothing will really stop it... May relieve symptoms.

Coal tar shampoo can also be good for itchy skin. Does not smell pretty.

The shampoo I have found that worked really well on a couple of my non specific itchy dogs, is Selsun Gold (not the blue one). It made such a difference to my dogs skin, and also it leaves them feeling nice and soft. Would be well worth a try.

Well I have a suspicion that my dog is allergic to oatmeal. After I bathed her in aloveen and put on the aloveen conditioner she went nuts- as a puppy she was always itchy after baths.

I use malaseb as she is atopic and recurrent secondary infections are a problem for her.

I am also looking for another type of shampoo that is more gentle than malaseb to use in between malaseb washes.

I use QV wash for our itchy dog who has contact allergies. That and a hydrobath works really well. Aloveen made him even itchier as did any shampoo with fragrance.

I have a chronically itchy dog and i have tried many, many shampoos, which just seemed to make him itchier. The best response I've had was the Vets All Natural Shampoo (completely free of chemicals). This helped his skin a lot. What seemed to help it the most was some Goats Milk Baby wash that I bought from Billy Goat Soap! Awesome. Apparently it puts a coating on the skin so helps with contact allergies. Even if that's not right it worked a treat.

My very allergic dog does best on QV wash - was told to use this by the dermatologist and i spray diluted QV oil on him afterwards.

Oatmeal shampoo makes my dog itch like mad

ETA Malaseb is very drying and after using it for a few months we had to switch to the QV.

Edited by Mason2009

Sigh - can't vote, not enough options.

I use johnsons and johnsons on me and the dog. And only as necessary.

I do like the smell. I think she is ok with smelling like me, though after this morning's mud rolling - I'm not so sure.

Why do I pick it?

"No more tears".

I can't be sure any of the others won't sting if they get in her eyes. And shampoo stinging eyes would make bath time impossible.

Our vet recommended Aloveen as our pup has really dry, flaky and itchy skin. Seemed to have work for one day only. :confused:

Can't be his diet (more fish oil, coat-maintainance puppy kibble) so back to the drawing board! Might even resort to leave-in treatments.

Think it depends on what the itching is caused by.

If allergy to something internal.. Nothing will really stop it... May relieve symptoms.

Coal tar shampoo can also be good for itchy skin. Does not smell pretty.

This. You need to know why the dog is itchy before applying a topical solution.. and sometimes there won't be one.

I like Groomers EPO for doing an effective job while keeping the skin in great condition. As another poster said, its great for your hands too.

I was recommended "Groomers Evening Primrose Oil" Shampoo (http://www.groomersproducts.com.au) and have found that to be good, nice and gentle on your own hands too.

ETA: I have also noticed my pup has been scratching much less since we started using Advantage Flea spot on (we had been using Frontline prior to that)

Yes the evening primrose shampoo is fantastic, get the Vet grade one though

You forgot to include Calendula Tea :D.

Not a shampoo, but that's what makes it so good (apart from it's antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities)as it doesn't disturb pH levels as shampoos can. This is to support the skin, rather than to make the "whites whiter than white" though.

Erny, do you make up a huge amount of tea and pour it over them? I'm getting a mental picture of many kettles..... ;)