Advice To Stop Him Destroying Things Please..

kitkatswing

Toys: umm a huge array, squeaky balls, tennis balls, rope toys, eeep, off the top of my head I cant think of them all.

He has a couple of bones out there (past the mat stage, just bone now) as well, we also tend to hid treats in his sandpit...

He does sleep on the couch and sit on it all the time.. (otherwise I would definitly use pepper on it!)

I have a few old sheets at home that I will use in the meantime to cover the cushions....

bones need to be fresh every day or two .. and freeze them first, so it makes it harder to get meat off. ;)

what do you bury in his sandpit ? perhaps try tiny bits of dried liver... or individual bits of his kibble :) that way he works for his dinner ! Don't let him see you hiding all of them ..but let him see that there is something nice there!

bones need to be fresh every day or two .. and freeze them first, so it makes it harder to get meat off. ;)

what do you bury in his sandpit ? perhaps try tiny bits of dried liver... or individual bits of his kibble :) that way he works for his dinner ! Don't let him see you hiding all of them ..but let him see that there is something nice there!

Usually small peices of chicken sticks or buffulo ears :)

The bones are usually frozen first (i have a bag of frozen ones ) .. Should I remove the old ones after a certain amoutn of time even though he loves chewing on them??

Is he inside unsupervised when you aren't home? If so, what about having him either confined to a crate/pen/single room or outside when he is by himself so he can't get into trouble and destroy things? At least until he is older and less likely to destroy stuff.

He is outside when left alone...

Whoops sorry just saw he chewed the couch, missed the outside bit, assumed the couch was inside :o Can you fence off access to the couch? I think preventing him from getting to the couch until he is old enough not to chew it would be easier than trying to figure out how to get him not to chew the couch when you are not there. And there is then no way he can destroy it.

Destroying couches is fun, much more so than chomping on toys that are 'allowed'. If you don't want it shredded then don't allow the dog access....;)

Either pen the dog away from the couch or pen the couch area off from the dog.

I have found a little "vicks" rub smeared in trouble spots always works in putting a dog of from wrecking things. Having said that, unfortunately I never seem to remember until it actually happens, so now, out of 5 houses lived in, am missing viynl from two laundries and for some reason one kitchen!

Destroying couches is fun, much more so than chomping on toys that are 'allowed'. If you don't want it shredded then don't allow the dog access....;)

Either pen the dog away from the couch or pen the couch area off from the dog.

I was going to suggest this. Maybe get some of those cheap wire panels from Bunnings (compost section) & put them around the couch or use them to block access to that area when you are not around.

LOL My whole garden is enclosed in these things! They'll stay there until the 6 month old grows up a bit :laugh: $25 gives you 4 panels and you can join the panels together with cable ties.

I was going to suggest this. Maybe get some of those cheap wire panels from Bunnings (compost section) & put them around the couch or use them to block access to that area when you are not around.

How to stop dogs destroying stuff:

NEVER EVER give them an opportunity to do so.

If you can not be there to supervise your dog then put them in the backyard or crate.