Options Regarding Puppy Sitters?

Guest Panzer Attack!

Guest Panzer Attack!

Hello :)

I have a 4 and a bit month old Papillon puppy. He is lovely and social, but unfortunately due to my partner being in hospital for the unforseeable future I was wondering what to do with the poor boy during the day, as I'm sure he's bored. As far as I see it my current options are

- pet sitter

- dog walker (? he's probably a bit young for this?)

- doggy day care

- finding a local with a smaller dog who can let them frolick together for a few hours a few times a week

- boarding??

I am a paranoid Mummy as he is currently 2.2kg and I don't want him playing really hard at a doggy day care and getting squished or injured. I also don't reaaallly want someone inexperienced looking after him in a big group of dogs situation who can't read doggy body language etc (snob much?? he's at an impressionable age...).

So far I train him for 5 minute sessions whenever I am home, we walk for 15 mins a day and I try to expose him to new situations every day. He has a couple of doggy friends but the owners work full time too so can't really take him on. He has almost the entire range of Kong and Premier Pet toys and works for most things.

I feel AWFUL about this, obviously my partner getting deathly sick wasn't in my plans when I bought Scooter home and it's really turned our lives upside down. Sending back to the breeder isn't an option at the moment as she's got his brother and sister to look after (as well as Mum) and lives interstate and I'll MISS HIM! :( It was suggested to ask Pacers but I don't think this really qualifies and I'd rather they help people in a real emergency.

My main worry is that I barely have time for him at the moment as it is, and I haven't started my new job yet so god forbid what will happen then. The one person I could ask to look after him isn't really a very good dog savvy person and all his training would go backwards because omg he is so cute aww give him a treat for no reason aww he pooed in the house it's so small and cute etc.

Has anyone been in a similar situation before? Or have advice or ideas? I was browsing gumtree but um the thought of someone maybe being untrustworthy or losing him makes me want to bawl! (btw in case anyone was wondering - we've bonded quite strongly since my puppy depression thread LOL!) Partner's dog is in a very exxy (but fantastic) kennel and he's probably too young to kennel anyway.

Thank you so much for reading :)

E x

edited to add a bit more information: my hours are erratic, some days I'll leave the house at 8am, other days I won't get home until 11pm so I'm despairing slightly as to doing something like doggy day care... and I'm terrified his toilet training will go even more backwards... oh gosh this situation worries me! :(

and a bit more info - partner is going to be in a similar state for months, so it's not like it's a short term problem, and i really do NOT want to rehome him (the dog. or the partner haha.)

AND some more musings - at the moment he is getting the absolute bare bones minimum that he needs and I do not believe as a puppy he can sustain this for the next 4-6 months. he is a social man, and a toy breed, and LOVES the attention. i hate having to pen him for so long almost every single day. yesterday i didn't visit partner and spent the day with the dog and just felt guilty anyway that i was neglecting Luke!! arrgghhh!!!!

Edited by Panzer Attack!

Tricky one.

Personally I would either be contacting a few local breeders (maybe your breeder can recommend some) with the same breed who might be able to puppy sit him while your partner is so sick.

Or the other option for me would be to find a local elderly person/couple who do not have a dog, but might like to be "grandparents" to your puppy and take him in when you are away. I used to groom dogs for a lot of elderly people and they simply adore them. Many would not want a dog long term but might be more than happy to be grandparents. Just an idea.

Hope your partner recovers soon!

Have you asked the breeder? Perhaps they may know someone who would love to mind another pap during the day. Otherwise I think a pet sitter would be a good option as then you can request certain hours et but I would be sure to check out some references first.

If you were close by E i would say bring the little man here

Me too!! I'm falling in love with paps! Such great little dogs :D

Sorry i'm no help, but I really hope you can work something out! :)

What the OP requires is exactly what a professional pet sitting service offers, to stand in for the pet owner when they are unable to provide the level of care and management they desire for their pets. Like with all services, there are some really good sitters and some really bad one's and the one's who do it on the side with cheap rates, no insurance and limited experience so it pays to check out the credentials and experience levels of potential sitters to find someone best suitable for your needs in a service industry that is unregulated.

Guest Panzer Attack!

Thanks Flaves, you are so awesome :cry: I know he'd be really happy with you, damn distance!

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions so far. PetSitters, most of the places I have seen online have either been dog walkers or people that let the dogs live in their homes for periods of time only if they are mature/housetrained/elderly etc. Him being young and still in training with toileting outside seems to be my main problem.

Mason2009 - like I said in my OP, I know two people who have dogs that I would trust to take him on that work long hours so it's not feasable, and one person who does not who I would not trust with him :laugh:

I've written an add for gumtree and it's waiting to be approved, but I have a stone of dread in my stomach. On the add I've clearly stated he's not for sale and not to be bred with, so we'll see how we go. Hopefully something comes up or someone suggests something really obvious in here that I've overlooked!

E x

Could you call your local vet and see if anyone there does in home boarding? If you were closer I'd be happy to mind him for you, I really feel for you you're in an awful situation.

When my boy was a puppy I used a dog walking service to visit him and play - from about 14 weeks. They then started taking him on little walks and it grew from there. He loves them and they still visit 3 years on. I don't know where you are but they service bayside and SE suburbs (woofers world). Mr cosmolo walks my spechul girl once a week too.

Just remember that it is normal to feel guilty, but dogs are resilient and often adjust to the bumps in the road. I'm away from home 12 hours a day during the week - not ideal, but they cope. I walk them before and after work, have the dog walkers and do agility on the weekend- they seem to cope fine.

I found an amazing dog sitter on DOL but I did have a bad experience with one before that.

We left Poppy with the sitter for a weekend. The sitter then left Poppy crated overnight from 5pm to 7am while she went out to a party in the city. Poppy was only young at the time. Maybe the same age as your puppy and of course she was bored and chewed up her bed in the crate.

Was not impressed.

Another idea is to find a stay at home mum who might like to look after puppy during the day. Similar to the elderly person idea. :)

but dogs are resilient and often adjust to the bumps in the road. I'm away from home 12 hours a day during the week - not ideal, but they cope. I walk them before and after work, have the dog walkers and do agility on the weekend- they seem to cope fine.

They can, but I think the OP's having a very ill partner in Hospital for months makes a huge difference in how time/energy can be allocated ... :(

Panzer- I am glad your little one has found somewhere to go & be safe while you and your partner cope with what you have :)

Guest Panzer Attack!

I know, I am SO RELIEVED that he is going somewhere where I actually have met the person, know they are a dog lover and can be trusted with my baby boy. It also might only be a short term thing, as partner is healing a lot faster than his doctors thought and he might be coming home soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Oh and if anyone is interested - so far the gumtree ad has given me 4 offers to buy him (well, one actually offered money, the rest just asked to keep him and in one case her! :laugh:) and one genuine offer that was too far away from me to consider, with someone who already had four dogs, two of them large breeds. To say I'm relieved is an understatement!

Thanks so much Akke, and I can't wait to finally meet your BEDDIES! (and Tommy!) :D

Em xoxo