My Feathered Friends

Dju

This is in memory of the little babies that I raised from chick-fancy. We only had you for a year. You were my darlings. We lost one of you at the early stages of life, Honey, though we tried to save you, but the remaining five I thought would be mine for many many years. I remember picking you sll out from the farm and bringing you home in a box for an Easter present for our family. You loved snuggling into me so much, and whenever I put my hand in the box, you would cuddle up against the warmth.

0304101756.jpg

I always thought you guys slept the funniest I'd ever seen chickies sleep, with your faces in the ground and butts in the air, like some sort of chicken comedy routine.

1004101111.jpg

I remember when Snow White had been attacked by crows and ended up with a split scalp, how we drove for over an hour to take you back to the farm so they could fix you up again. I loved you so much, you were my favorite.

0806101330.jpg

But when you came back, things weren't the same. You were on the bottom of the food chain again and you were losing the weight you had gained from living by yourself in a cage at the farm while you healed. This carried on for a few months, and I had finally thought the bullying in the coop had died down and you were finally getting back some weight. When you quietly passed away a few days ago I was shocked, and heartbroken, but I never thought that your sisters would soon be joining you in heaven too.

picture004lq.jpg

My Snow White, my Sasha, my Princess, my Youhzni, and my Spot. I just wish I could have given you one last cuddle. I keep expecting that any minute, you're going to climb up our stairs to lay your eggs in our shoes, or sunbathe on our doorstep, or just jump into the shelves to get away from Hugo licking you. But you won't be doing that anymore, ever again.

picture612.jpg

The neighbor's dogs were ruthless, they took all four of you this morning before I could even feed you and left nothing but feathers for me to remember you by. You had only reached your first birthday a few months ago. Why did you have to leave me so soon? :cry: I can't stop crying, I wish I had woken up just a little earlier so maybe I could have avoided your deaths. I am to blame, I wasn't there to defend you when you needed me. I should have been there, but I wasn't. I'm so sorry, my darlings. I love you, rest in peace. :cry:

:cry: OH I'm so sad for you Dju :cry:

we had a fox kill all of our Rhode Island reds who were loved pets - in one night many years ago too.

What a terrible shock for you :cry:

hugs

fifi

PS please don't beat yourself up, it could have been another day another opportunity for the dogs - did they get into your yard ?

Edited by fifi

It's hard having chooks where dogs can get in - some dogs will not be stopped by anything less than weldmesh :( Must be worse knowing the dogs ! :(

Your girls looked very happy and content - you did a terrific job with them :) ... and the dogs may have well got them during the night ( if you are sure it was those dogs) There are suburban foxes....large cats will also take chooks!

:hug::kissbetter:

I once lost several of my favourite chooks to one snake ,in one afternoon ... they were all having a dustbath ... it is an awful feeling.

We think it must have been dogs that jumped our fence, the fence isn't really that high (4-5 feet maybe?).. We've been keeping chooks for several years and never had a fox or snake attack but we did watch as a Rottie carried off two of our girls in his mouth a few years ago from our old flock, so we assumed another dog must have gotten to them.. We're all really depressed about this because we used to lock them up in their fortress of a pen (you can see the door of it in the top left corner of the yard photo) to ward off predators at night time, but since the Rottie died, we didn't really feel the need to do that anymore and we left it open.

These were Isa Browns, a black Australorp and a Leghorn; and unfortunately my mother said many times before that these will be the last flock of chickens we'll ever have :(

Thanks for the support guys, it feels so quiet and empty in our yard without them clucking or making a fuss when they lay an egg or digging up our garden and noisily dustbathing in the sun.. :(

Rip Chookies. That is very sad :cry: I love chickens and had four as pets when I was a teenager. They all have their own little personalities and I completely understand your grief as they are not just chickens. My last remaining girl lived until she was 14.

Edited by Kynan

So sad for your loss. I had fond memories of owning suburban chooks...all adopted from the local schools "hatch an egg under your jumper" project. The girls, as they were called, happily lived with 7 dogs and it never occurred to them dogs could be dangerous..thankfully they never found out. Im so sorry that you had to experience such a sad event.

Thank you for your words everyone, my mother and I are very comforted to read through the comments. These chickens were more my mother's pets since I got Hugo and she's much more grief-stricken than I am about their departures :(

I wish our girls got to live past 14 years of age. Or even a tenth of that. :cry: They were so fearless, they weren't intimidated of Hugo or any other (friendly) dog or cat that was invited into our yard, and would even run up and grab food from Hugo's mouth (much to his dismay)! :o

On closer inspection, we only found one body, strangled with puncture wounds in its neck and laying behind the metal sheets. It looks like she tried to hide but didn't quite make it in time.. :cry: :cry: I still can't believe that the other three bodies are missing though, usually with dog attacks they would leave all the bodies behind after killing them..

So sorry Demi and Demis mum, what a sad day for you guys! Can you speak to your neighbors, it would be aweful if they came back and hurt Hugo. RIP Chookies.

I have news.. today, the neighbors called us over.. to inform us there's a dead chook in their yard. :cry: I went over to check without thinking and burst into tears when I saw it was my baby Princess. She had basically fallen apart from the wounds. :cry: :cry: :cry: I feel so traumatised now, why why why did I have to look??

:( that's sad ... at least you can now bury her with her 'sister'. :hug:

Are the neighbours willing to pay compensation? They did go into your yard and destroy your chooks! When my landlord accidentally let the neighbour's dog into my yard and it killed my gorgeous pet duck , he, after apologising a lot , gave me the money to buy another ... no it was not my beloved "Frances", but it was a kind offer ...

Unfortunately, now the dogs have been into the yard and discovered the chooks .. they may want to explore in there again :( You may want to improve the fencing to deter them.

Edited by persephone

We don't know which neighbors exactly, that's the problem.. we have our suspsicions but since we can't prove anything because we didn't see it, we can't really go around laying the blame. :( I have a feeling it was the neighbors across; they tore down their 6 foot fences a week ago and have been using rentals that don't look like they enclose much at all--and they have a very athletic Amstaff for a pet. Still, as I said, we can't blame them if we don't have proof :( Lots of people around here have dogs, and a lot of them let their dogs wander around the streets.