Pet Shop Rescue Of Dumped Animals

melzawelza

THE pet industry will take responsibility for finding homes for dogs found dumped on the street or surrendered to shelters if checks reveal the animal was first sold through an accredited pet shop.

The unprecedented initiative has the potential to save the RSPCA, councils and other animal welfare shelters hundreds of thousands of dollars annually in the care and rehousing of unwanted pets.

The retail pet industry has suffered a black eye in recent years with its alleged association with "puppy farms" and attempts by Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore and animal welfare groups to ban the sale of cats and dogs in shops.

Pet Industry Association of Australia boss Roger Perkins said the new policy, to be released within weeks, would apply only to its members.

He said only about 50 per cent of pet shops were association members but he hoped the initiative would bring the majority of non-members on board or risk being shunned by consumers because they were not "accredited".

Mr Perkins said individual shops would be "absolved" from taking a pet back. Instead the "industry would take responsibility", with pets cared for by other members including kennels and groomers.

Details are yet to be released but the point-of-sale documentation is expected to be linked to the dog's microchip and kept on a database that could be checked whenever a stray is found.

Source

What do you guys think? I find it interesting about individual shops being absolved - what motivation is there then for them to pick the right homes in the first place?

What a crock of poo. So if they get a 10yr old Staffy x surrendered they will find a home for it? BS. They will get it PTS. But if a healthy 1yo oodle is returned, they will probably sell it again and get more $$$. I call a rat.

I agree a real crock. I dont see how they can legally enforce this either as a dog is considered chattle anyway. You can't make Harvey Norman take back your fridge 5 years later, I don't see places like PP doing it either.

It's still treating the animal as a product NOT actually considering it's wellfare long term.

Why dont they start making all the bogan backyarders follow the same law?

Will they have to desex animals first like other rescue/rehoming groups?? What support will be given if animals have behavioural issues? I am not really sure how this is going to work.

Edited by skyesblue

I wonder if they'd like the dog I was offered tonight - bought from a petshop and now threatened with the pound unless I can find a solution which is hard, considering he's not desexed, is an extremely common (and not popular) type of dog found in the pounds etc. He is an escape artist although their yard is not that well fenced by the sounds of it. He's never been walked on a lead and gets out of one - I asked about a harness and she said "he won't let us put it on". they've probably only tried once.

In his favour is his age and the fact that he's lived with kids.

He was allowed to have a litter of puppies with a neighbour's dog. Great. I told the owner to tell all her friends not to breed any more dogs, please. We do euth over 150,000 each year. I suspect it was water off a half brained duck's back.

What a crock of poo. So if they get a 10yr old Staffy x surrendered they will find a home for it? BS. They will get it PTS. But if a healthy 1yo oodle is returned, they will probably sell it again and get more $$$. I call a rat.

That is the likely Rescue outcome also

THE pet industry will take responsibility for finding homes for dogs found dumped on the street or surrendered to shelters if checks reveal the animal was first sold through an accredited pet shop.

I'd like to know what the checks will be. Without a microchip link to a petshop, how will they know?? :confused:

I'd like to know what the checks will be. Without a microchip link to a petshop, how will they know?? :confused:

I can see one good thing possibly coming of this. If the system can be tweaked, so that animals can be traced back to the pet shops, then there's no reason why it can't include ANKC registered breeders and those from WD registries.

Finally , we may see some real date about where the pound dogs actually come from...

The unprecedented initiative has the potential to save the RSPCA, councils and other animal welfare shelters hundreds of thousands of dollars annually in the care and rehousing of unwanted pets.

The retail pet industry has suffered a black eye in recent years with its alleged association with "puppy farms" and attempts by Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore and animal welfare groups to ban the sale of cats and dogs in shops.

Pet Industry Association of Australia boss Roger Perkins said the new policy, to be released within weeks, would apply only to its members.

He said only about 50 per cent of pet shops were association members but he hoped the initiative would bring the majority of non-members on board or risk being shunned by consumers because they were not "accredited".

Mr Perkins said individual shops would be "absolved" from taking a pet back. Instead the "industry would take responsibility", with pets cared for by other members including kennels and groomers.

Details are yet to be released but the point-of-sale documentation is expected to be linked to the dog's microchip and kept on a database that could be checked whenever a stray is found.

Source

What do you guys think? I find it interesting about individual shops being absolved - what motivation is there then for them to pick the right homes in the first place?

I think there needs to be something going back to the individual pet shop. We have 3 pet shops here on the border and one of them is actually quite good at getting it right (for a pet shop) and the other 2 are abysmal. We used to see many that had come from the other 2 pet shops and in fact were still microchipped to them.

I can see one good thing possibly coming of this. If the system can be tweaked, so that animals can be traced back to the pet shops, then there's no reason why it can't include ANKC registered breeders and those from WD registries.

Finally , we may see some real date about where the pound dogs actually come from...

Yeah I think it is great - I think all microchips should have a link to the person who bred the dog/rehomed the dog, pet shop, rescue, breeder, byb etc.

Source

I think there needs to be something going back to the individual pet shop. We have 3 pet shops here on the border and one of them is actually quite good at getting it right (for a pet shop) and the other 2 are abysmal. We used to see many that had come from the other 2 pet shops and in fact were still microchipped to them.

Yeah I think it is great - I think all microchips should have a link to the person who bred the dog/rehomed the dog, pet shop, rescue, breeder, byb etc.

Well who ever breeds the litter is supposed to Microchip the litter, still dont know how they can pass them onto the pet shop with out doing that...

Most people will buy a puppy from a pet shop and not realise they have to register the puppy themselves, they think the pet shop has done that for them, casue they are handed the Chip Paperwork. Even when i worked for a petshop they didnt tell the customer you need to take that to the Council and register, so many are left registered to the petshop... Or the petshop stuffs up and theyare still the owner :rofl:

Better off if only ones to breed are registered with the Working dog or ANKC...

It isnt law to have animal microchipped in WA. Maybe it should be.

This is just a pr thing to make PIAA look better after a bit of bad publicity. Puppies and kittens shouldnt be allowed to be sold through pet shops. Take away the uninformed impulse puppy/kitten purchases and it will take a lot of pressure of the RSPCA and other dog /cat rescues.