Blockage

don't know .. hamlet's was years & years ago... I guess it depends what they have to do - how much barium..how many xrays... how long surgery is /how many days in hospital etc.

Hope everything goes well

:hug::hug: It's a worrying time, I know.

The last one we did came to about $1500. That was from initial consultation until home, for a giant dog. Included consult, xrays, some in house bloods, surgery, fluids, pain relief, AB's and a couple of days in hospital.

Hope it's nothing serious :)

Feel an obstruction? .... :o I have never heard of foreign bodies diagnosed that way ...maybe they are these days ....?

I am hopeful that it is only a bug -and that he will be happy soon !

Palpating the abdomen is usually one of the first things we would do. You can feel the intestines and work your way through them and often feel if there's a hard bone or something stuck. You can also often feel if the intestines themselves feel firmer :)

Keep in mind that price was for a Giant, so a lot more of everything was needed!!

I hope it's just a bug or simple upset that passes quickly for you!!

The last one we did came to about $1500. That was from initial consultation until home, for a giant dog. Included consult, xrays, some in house bloods, surgery, fluids, pain relief, AB's and a couple of days in hospital.

Hope it's nothing serious :)

That was Dante....he's so awesome at costing money.

Ruth I just seen this on Facebook, a while ago I had something similar with Lacy, she vomitted gallons through the night, I thought it was a gastro type thing as she was lethargic the next day but then having having trouble toileting, so off to the vet we went. They thought a blockage was possible but did and xray and it turned out she was constipated, the vet then did some kind of rear end exploratory surgery (don't know technical name) and said she never would have moved the bit that was stuck herself. Cost $200. I couldn't believe how fast she went from doing normal toileting duties to being so constipated that she couldn't go at all, the vet said that's why the vomitting was happening.

Hope your boy is ok and it is nothing serious.

Friend of mine's dog had a macadamia nut stuck in the intestines--I think she said the vets bill was $3000! :eek: Though to be fair, they didn't realise it was a blockage until a day or so later.

Dana Cavalier's intestinal blockage cost me $3500. Her recovery wasn't straight forward because she kept dropping temp and going into shock. She was in hospital for 4 days.

We could feel the 2 loquat seeds in her intestines on palpation.

We lost our beautiful dobe girl Jazz last year because of blockage in the intestine (believe it or not it was straw!)

The cost was $750 after hours call-out and that was without any surgery (she passed away minutes before.

I paid about $2000 to remove a stick from the stomach of one of my Labs, this included 4 nights in hospital. A few years earlier it cost about $1300 to remove a sheeps foot from the same Lab!!

Cost me $4100 to have part of a rope toy removed from my Lab at Newcastle Emergency Vets which had to be paid for straight away. I suspected a blockage and told them that. He spent one night there. On top of that was the cost of initial consultation plus a day of aftercare at local vets!