Queensland Regulations

Prydenjoy

OK so I'm waiting to hear back from Dogs NSW about what my prefix is going to be. Since mating Mango I've applied to UQ, been offered a place, and am moving up in 6 weeks, when the puppies will be about 4 weeks old.

When I applied for my prefix here I did the exam etc, which stated that, as a registered breeder, there wasn't a limit on how many dogs you could own, as long as they were all cared for etc. What are the regulations in QLD?

Also, when should I transfer my registration over to QLD, before I move? After the puppies have been registered? Before?

Hello - firstly welcome to Queensland when you get here - arriving with 4 week old pups will be a challenge but sure you will cope.

I have a prefix in Brisbane but the number of dogs you can keep is ruled by the councils - and I live in the Moreton Bay Shire and on an ordinary surburban block I am allowed to keep 4 dogs with a breeders permit which must be applied for through the council - its a bit of a rigmarole really with a spot check to your home - if you live on acerage it is a different matter - you can keep more but you must still must apply for the breeders permit. Getting the permit from the Council involves all neighbours on any of your borders signing that it is not a problem with them that you have 4 dogs on the property. The Council also contacted all of these people - there are 4 of them - to see if they had actually been asked by me and signed the form. The day of the spot check was a bit of a worry though as I was minding my son's two poodles when an inspector arrived completely unannounced at my front door - luckily the two extras were registered with another Council - Brisbane City Council but she took note of their registration numbers and did a follow up!! It seemed ok that I was minding the dogs for a short period though.

This was a few years back now and have never had another spot check - oh you are also allowed to keep as many pups as you need to but not sure how old they consider still a pup but I did keep an extra pup for nearly a year and heard nothing from them - my dogs don't upset our neighbours in any way so I would feel unless a complaint comes their way they are happy to leave you to it. At least I hope so.

Good luck with the move.

Edited by mini girl

I should have added that if you need to contact Dogs Qld - CCCQ they are very helpful over the phone with enquiries - they have a wevsite that has lots of information on - also worth looking up the website of the council you will be living in and checking their rules on a breeders permits.

Pretty much what mini girl said - different councils different rules. Brisbane City Council is apparently pretty easy to get a permit from if you are a CCCQ member and live in a suitable place. I think 4 is their limit? Puppies are meant to be registered at 3 months until then they don't count.

Ipswich on 2000 m2 or more is up to 4 dogs with no permit. Less than 2000m2 is 2 dogs and I don't think permits are too hard to get provided you are a CCCQ member - again 3 or 4 would be their limit

Registration fees vary from council to council, no life time registration up here (ETA: for entire dogs) it's an annual tax

Edited by Sandra777

With regards to the dog numbers. I'm in the Brisbane City Council on a small suburban block and I have a breeders permit for up to 4 dogs. All they did was come out and check we had adequate fencing and that was it. I think they do a spot check every 12 months. It's $181 a year for the permit.

Good luck with your move!

Just dont change you Dogs NSW Membership until the Pups are gone or you have to transfer your prefix lol (change your address you your mums lol)

Isnt as well like some places different councils have different Stipulations on how many?

Just don't move into Ipswich Council... They have some of the worst dog laws. I believe Loagan can be pretty harsh too.

Best thing is to look on Brisbane, Moreton Bay Regional, Logan and Ipswich councils websites for their animal laws.

You are only allowed 2 dogs unles you get a property over 2000 sq m. You have to register first two dogs.. then apply for permit to keep more at $280. You also have to door every house within 100m from all four boundaries.. If you get 3 objections, permit (and fee) denied and non refunded. You are only allowed to have the extra dogs there for 14 days.. if permit is denied.. you have to get rid of extra dogs.

I live in Brisbane City.. Pretty much what others have said.. It will depend somewhat on property size.. but pretty much hand over your $200 (including application fee) and you get a permit in about a month's time. YOu can also have the "3rd dog" etc present while you are waiting for an answer.

I also have a permit attached to my folks place in moreton bay council.. You do get inspected (or used to at least) when you apply and possibly then yearly to make sure you keep your food contained properly and dispose of faeces etc

Mystiqview - I think Logan has very recently revamped their dog laws, especially in relation to CCCQ members.

Jeanne - check out their website as suggested but check that you are getting the updated info. Logan's probably too far out for you anyway, but you never know

I know Ipswich does have SOME CCCQ discounts. But the policy reads only if you have a kennel prefix with CCCQ and you apply for their "breeders permit"... We recently got a new staff member from Logan, and I know the fencing requirements are much harsher than what is in Brisabne/Ipswich.

Something about if the dog is over 3kg, it has to be 6 foot?? Don't quote me on that one.. Check more about just the fees. It's the other laws that generally get you as much as anything..

hereas we are adequate to keep the dog enclosed.. so technically. if a 3 foot fence is keeping in a rotty.. then it's adequate.

There appears to be no rhyme nor reasoning behind the decisions of the various councils as to the number of dogs which can be kept, under a breeders permit, and according to the land you have.

We have 40 acres (in Moreton Bay Regional Council), of which our dogs are restricted, by our choice, to either a house yard of around 1/4 acre or to the front garden of around 1.5 acres. Both areas are fully fenced. Both OH and I are retired and more often than not one or either of us is at home. Through habit our dogs are locked inside when we are both not at home, (they are all house dogs) and the most we are ever out for is 6 hours in the day.

We have permission to keep 8 dogs under the breeders permit. We know of a couple of people who are in more of a suburban area (same Council) with less acerage, bigger dogs, and who work full time who have permission to keep 12 dogs. Doesn't compute to me?. :confused::crazy::noidea:

There appears to be no rhyme nor reasoning behind the decisions of the various councils as to the number of dogs which can be kept, under a breeders permit, and according to the land you have.

We have 40 acres (in Moreton Bay Regional Council), of which our dogs are restricted, by our choice, to either a house yard of around 1/4 acre or to the front garden of around 1.5 acres. Both areas are fully fenced. Both OH and I are retired and more often than not one or either of us is at home. Through habit our dogs are locked inside when we are both not at home, (they are all house dogs) and the most we are ever out for is 6 hours in the day.

We have permission to keep 8 dogs under the breeders permit. We know of a couple of people who are in more of a suburban area (same Council) with less acerage, bigger dogs, and who work full time who have permission to keep 12 dogs. Doesn't compute to me?. :confused::crazy::noidea:

Hesapndabear - have you asked council why they made that decision? I would. Anne-Marie Boyd is very approachable and I'm sure would listen to reasoned argument if you wanted to keep more.....

I have 2 acres - am permitted for 8 (large breed) but am also aware they will allow me more if I ask.

Silly me, I forgot I even posted this :laugh:

Thanks all, I'd have to register the pups with Dogs NSW, already checked into that. I think it's 3 months before pups have to be registered with a council, so I'll have until then to sort out the permit etc.

I don't even know where I'm going to be living yet! :eek: