Breed Prejudice

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The breed which makes me want to run a mile is Akitas .. I can't really explain it , when we were renting we lived next to one who seemed to always be on guard made me nervous to see a dog in such a high state of alert almost constantly . I have tried to meet a few and had a few chat with owners .. But it's the one dog I worry about .. Not rotties or gsd or pit bull types .

I haven't quite got past it yet

I think I pretty much love all breeds although I do tend to favour the larger dogs after working in a boarding kennel for 4 years.I had two huge Rotties that boarded with me regularly and when other dogs came in they would go off their nut!Open the run door and they would lick your feet!Go over and clean the small dog kennels and you take your life in your hands(you gotta be quick to beat those little suckers).But when I walk my dogs I'm wary of all breeds because I have greyhounds.MUZZLED.My dogs love all dogs large and small.I don't go near the unleashed area but it's almost daily that I struggle with unleashed dogs just walking down the street.I'm lucky I start work early(5am) so home early and pick my times when I walk them but I'm always looking for other dogs.

but unless you know the dog you can't tell whether it will be aggressive or not.

You can't? Surely you can to some extent.

Not every time. If I see a dog posturing its easy to assume the worst, but I have also had a quietly sitting dog, showing no overt aggressive signs, quickly lunge & snap at my dog as she has walked past. On more than one occasion when walking onlead on a street. It pays to always be slightly out of reach!

Erring on the side of caution.

The breed which makes me want to run a mile is Akitas .. I can't really explain it , when we were renting we lived next to one who seemed to always be on guard made me nervous to see a dog in such a high state of alert almost constantly . I have tried to meet a few and had a few chat with owners .. But it's the one dog I worry about .. Not rotties or gsd or pit bull types .

Are you sure it always was in a state of alter? Akitas have prick ears and curled tails, it's just how they are. Doesn't mean that they are a state of alert all the time.

Edited by Malamum

Are you sure it always was in a state of alter? Akitas have pick ears and curled tails, it's just how they are. Doesn't mean that they are a state of alter all the time.

I have to spring to the defence of Akitas, having owned three together. They are known for their proud and dignified stance, always alert, but not about to attack. I love them, loyal and affectionate.

but unless you know the dog you can't tell whether it will be aggressive or not.

Not every time. If I see a dog posturing its easy to assume the worst, but I have also had a quietly sitting dog, showing no overt aggressive signs, quickly lunge & snap at my dog as she has walked past. On more than one occasion when walking onlead on a street. It pays to always be slightly out of reach!

Yeah i agree, ive had a cattle dog run up and barking at me like she was going to bite and she just jumped up to say hello wagging her tail and licking :laugh: i think the quiet ones you have to be more cautious of :p

Yeah i agree, ive had a cattle dog run up and barking at me like she was going to bite and she just jumped up to say hello wagging her tail and licking :laugh: i think the quiet ones you have to be more cautious of :p

:shrug: IME they always show some sign. A bit of whale eye is the most common one I see. Sometimes just a bit of stiffness creeps into their stance. My dogs usually pick it up. I learn what to look for by watching them. Staffies make me wary because IME they can switch damn fast and you often don't get a chance to stop it. Their triggers are predictable, though, I think.

Took my 13 week old BC puppy to the beach market today. I was being very careful with him as he is probably now going through his first "fear" period. While I was talking to a stallholder, a massive Bull Terrier x, offlead, came running up to him. He was probably friendly, but I couldn't take that chance & quickly picked my puppy up. But what sort of people let these type of dogs (or any dog, for that matter) raom around markets offlead & unsupervised :mad

Cattle dogs can be very hard to read, it's been well observed that they will conciously mask their body language to get what they want.

My evil hound has a neat trick for getting herself off the lead so she can go sniff...

She says to me, she really really wants to play with this dog here, who is also making play bows... so I let her off. And she doesn't play - she puts her schnoz on the ground and nicks off ignoring the other dog. Sigh.

She also tells me some mornings that she's busting to go outside, toilet, so I let her out, I go to my toilet, and when I'm done, she's swiped the warm patch on the bed, and hasn't even gone out on the grass and gotten her feet wet let alone done her S&P.

I'm wising up to both of these moves.

The dogs that just snap - you can usually see them get a bit anxious. I just figure they get scolded for growling or barking at other dogs.

I saw a giant beared collie or Old English sheep dog being walked today. It had a rear-attach harness on it and two leads with two frazzled adults attached and it barked and lunged after my dog and they scolded it. They scolded it for lots of things. Meantime I persuade my dog that it's not a good idea to go say hello and we work our way along the beach doing obedience tricks for treats. Show off what? Just trying to get across the message about - reward what you want, don't scold the dog for "being naughty" when it has no idea how to be good. Sigh. Sometimes I want to scold and slap the owners but that makes me the same as them.

Are you sure it always was in a state of alter? Akitas have pick ears and curled tails, it's just how they are. Doesn't mean that they are a state of alter all the time.

I have to spring to the defence of Akitas, having owned three together. They are known for their proud and dignified stance, always alert, but not about to attack. I love them, loyal and affectionate.

I just don't know .. She always seemed to be on guard .. And I get that it is a part of what they do , but she never seemed relaxed . Always watching . I don't think it was alter .. But I could be wrong . This was the first one I came across , but remember her as the dog who never seemed relaxed .

It's so sad to see so many negative comments about Staffys. I think you all need to meet Angel, she's great with other dogs. I don't go to big off lead parks anymore, but when we did she never got in any trouble. She'd let other dogs steal her ball, no drama. If another dog annoys her she'll tell them off but never fight. I've met plenty of others like her, she's not the exception to the rule.

My Prejudice is against people who make moronic statements about Breeds they know nothing about and have never owned. :mad

My Prejudice is against people who stereotype Breeds because of the actions of an Individual,people like this are the reason we have BSL. :mad

My prejudice is against Irresponsible owners who give every Breed a bad reputation. :mad

Some of the comments on this thread about GSD's and Rotties are so stupid they're not worth a reply. :drink:

I see we have a new style Forum, it's a shame we have people who are still Breed Ignorant. :crazy: