Dew Claws?

Olivebaby

Breeders usually remove a puppy's rear dew claws (on his or her back legs) soon after birth. Front ones are generally kept on.

Removal depends on the breed of dog and the breeder.

80% of people in my breed remove them.

Some breeds have to have them according to the standard.

Our breed has them removed (front) or they should !!! and not all breeds have them front & rear - not many actually. A dobe with their dew claws left on can easily rip open your leg & arteries when they bear hug you to the ground :eek: - tis why they should always be removed as they are a lethal weapon :).

Some breeds are required to leave them on though.

Removal depends on whether or not the dewclaw is attached to the bone. Generally they are quite useful to the dog for holding things they are chewing if they are attached. If they're not attached they are useless and prone to injuries. I wouldn't personally like to see attached dewclaws removed.

They are attached on both of my dogs and cause no problems at all (poodle x and JRT x).

My girl is a Labrador. I can't see any on her back legs, would that mean they were removed or just never existed?

Mine don't have dewclaws on their back legs either, and they haven't had them removed, so they never existed.

Edited by fuzzy82

Guest english.ivy

My Belgian Shepherd has her front dew claws still on and never had rear ones. I need to frequently clip her dew claws as they are tiny weapons :eek: Hers aren't a worry with being ripped off as she's a very hairy dog. I often play with hers too and she isn't fussed when I have to trim them.

My Pointer had his taken off as a newborn.

My mum Pointer didn't have her front ones taken off as a puppy and she ripped one of hers half off, no idea how she did it but it was a bloody mess. So at about a year old she had to have them both removed and took her quite awhile to recover.

I have never seen a dog with rear dew claws. Thought they were just on their front paws?

I have never seen a dog with rear dew claws. Thought they were just on their front paws?

Some have rear and some have double dew claws on the rear legs. What's required for each breed is specified in some breed standards.

Many breeders remove them because pet owners tend not to keep them short and they can be torn off. If your dog has them on front legs they need to be trimmed regularly or they will grow a full circle into the skin.

As Bisart says, they're also bloody sharp if a dog paws you with a front leg.

ETA: Here's pic of double dew claws (on a Beauceron)

sledniki.JPG

Edited by poodlefan

I had no idea I had to trim them, the things you learn as you go along!!! They are not very long but will remember this for later. Any advice on what I should use to trim and how to do this? I'm scared I'll cut them too short and hurt my girl :-(

Trim them as you would a normal nail. If they're white, you'll be able to easily see the quick, so don't cut any further down than that (I normally give myself 1-2mm of room just in case). If they're black it takes a little bit of guess work. Just take the tip off so you don't actually cut down too far, because it hurts and they'll bleed if you do it. I have one dog with white nails and one with black, and I seem to always go a bit too far on the one with black every time, poor little thing. :cry:

olivebaby they usually stay quite soft but they dont get worn down like the other nails do. Check them often and trim them when you trim her other nails. They are a lot easier to trim than the others!!

I have two setters from the same breeder, one with and one without. I've never owned, nor seen a weimaraner with dewclaws.

If you are worried about cutting too far you can file them down. It will take a bit longer to do. Depending on how strong the nail is an emery board or there are doggy nail files.

Guest english.ivy

I had no idea I had to trim them, the things you learn as you go along!!! They are not very long but will remember this for later. Any advice on what I should use to trim and how to do this? I'm scared I'll cut them too short and hurt my girl :-(

I just nip off the pointed, sharp end when it feels sharp/looks too long. I use toe nail clippers, larger than nail clippers. I started giving treats after I did hers while she was a puppy, as they grow really quickly. Now, she couldn't are less.

I'd be more than happy to show you how I trim Ivys if you want :) I don't live far from you and hers need doing really shortly!

I trimmed hers too short once and it was horrible but I certiantly learnt after that on how much to trim off.

Thanks EI for your kind offer. They are not very long at the moment so I'll wait. Few weeks and do it. I should be fine. I'll just go very slowly to start with. She is very good with her grooming so I'm sure she will be ok, especially if I waive liver treats in front of her!!!

You don't have to trim them- ust keep an eye on them and make sure they dont look too overgrown or start to turn back on themselves.

I've never trimmed any of my dogs dewclaws, they naturally wear them down. I don't know how, i guess maybe manipulating bones/toys etc?

I check them regularly as it is not pretty (and very painful) when the nail grows into their skin.

Most gundogs have theirs removed for working purposes.

All mine do at same time as tail docking....

Even if it were legal in Oz, I wouldn't have mine docked. I like having a waggy tailed dog. I hope Oskar and Zsa Zsa never break their tails so they can have nice long coffee table clearers all her life!!!