Friend Is Determined On Getting A Puppy That Is For Free

haylz27

Hi guys! I haven't been on here for a while. :) I just want a bit of advice.

My friend recently lost her GSD x of 14 years last week and she's already mentioning about how she wants another GSD soon. The thing is.. she is only looking at ones that are going for FREE or really cheap. Because apparently her dad won't pay for one. She's not like me... not dog savvy at all, and doesn't really know about backyard breeders vs real breeders (only what I've told her).

Is there something I can say to steer her away from only looking at the free ads? I've told her that she shouldn't get a puppy just because it is free or cheap.

Any advice on what I should tell her? Should I maybe tell her to look into rescuing a GSD? (She's determined on this breed only.. ._.)

Any advice on what I should tell her? Should I maybe tell her to look into rescuing a GSD? (She's determined on this breed only.. ._.)

She wants a purebred GSD pup for free? I'd give her very long odds of finding one from any source.

She wants a purebred GSD pup for free? I'd give her very long odds of finding one from any source.

Yup I've told her that.. Yet she continues to look on sites like Gumtree and Trading Post. Which I'm trying to deter her from.

I would say steer towards a rescue, they might not be free but usually a nominal fee for getting desexed and what not. Maybe a gentle reminder about things like severe hip displasia etc things that byb's are not known for testing for and that her "free" or "cheap" GSD could cause her wayy more heart break than having to wait by saving a bit longer for one from a quality breeder.

Good luck. There is all the chance her last dog was a freebie and it lived to 14. You cant tell her all the potential problems you want but all she has to do is think of her last dog and think, "well, my last dog was fine, you don't know what you are talking about"

I don't see anything wrong with getting a free puppy from a byb. At least they are not supporting the breeder. As long as she is aware of the possible health issues etc, I don't see an issue. Even if you paid $50-75 for a puppy from a byb that's fine with me, because that would only cover the cost of raising the puppy, and the byb wouldn't be making any money off it.

I don't see anything wrong with getting a free puppy from a byb. At least they are not supporting the breeder. As long as she is aware of the possible health issues etc, I don't see an issue. Even if you paid $50-75 for a puppy from a byb that's fine with me, because that would only cover the cost of raising the puppy, and the byb wouldn't be making any money off it.

Taking the dog off their hands is relieving them of the responsibility of perhaps having to put unsold puppies to sleep (or continue to shell out money to feed large, growing puppies- either way, it's money).

If BYBs were forced to deal with the consequences of breeding (whether that breeding was planned or not), perhaps some of them would think twice about doing it again. Taking "free to good home" puppies is supporting BYBs.

Yep, alot of byb can't get rid of whole litters, and will dump the rest. :(

There are a few GSD rescue's, tell her by the time she gets a free pup and pays for its vet work it will have cost her more than getting one from rescue where they will know its temp etc. :)

Maybe find some rescue puppies and show her their profiles/pictures give her the information that has been given above re: rescue dog already being desexed, vaccinated, micropchipped were a free byb puppy is likely not to be etc etc and maybe she will fall in love with one and decide to go in that direction.

Why would anyone raise a litter of pups, vaccinate and microchip them and then give them away?

Sometimes you get what you pay for. If a pup is free, you'd have to ask yourself why.

And if it is "free" and you have to vaccinate, microchip etc then you're shelling out for the purchase anyway. :shrug:

It may work out fine, or not. No way of predicting really.

Many people give dogs away free to good homes. They may not like to give to a rescue or be comfortable, they may want to know who is taking their dog & meet & question them, they may not know about or know a rescue. RSPCA & AWL may not appeal to them because they PTS & you have no say or even know. Its not a thing I could ever do but sometimes it does not always mean the dog is bad or that they don't care. Sometimes it does. Its the chance taken. There is nothing much you can do.

Free puppies are rare and can be a whole lot of trouble if they aren't from health tested lines. On the other hand free adult dogs are reasonably common in large breeds. She might find someone who can't keep their dog for a legitimate reason, just looking to give it away free to a good home rather than put it through a rescue. This would be her best option to get a good dog where she can find out it's history.

Remind her that if the breeder has not vaccinated the pup and the pup mixes with yours or other dogs in the park and her dog came down with kennel Cough which (extend the truth here) can be very expensive to treat and the pup may not survive without treatment. Then her free pup wouldn't be so cheap after all.

My sister was going to bet a cheap mix bred pup that was not Vaccinated or wormed, she had seen my mums dog go through KC years ago and she got it bad cause she wasn't vaccinated. I told her if her pup came down with it after playing with my guys or any one elses don't blame mine as the pup wasn't vacc.

So this threat worked on her she didn't get the pup.

BB

Maybe find some rescue puppies and show her their profiles/pictures give her the information that has been given above re: rescue dog already being desexed, vaccinated, micropchipped were a free byb puppy is likely not to be etc etc and maybe she will fall in love with one and decide to go in that direction.

:thumbsup: I agree with this. Say you "just happened to come across this rescue pup, look how cute he is... oh and he happens to be already desexed and microchipped, saves you the cost of that!"

I think it's a good way of trying to influence people who are unlikely to listen to arguments about health testing and responsible breeding and raising of puppies to do the right thing.

I know a couple of adult GSD's people rehomed for free and were good dogs, one was papered, it's just that they were not attracting a paying customer at around 3 or 4 years old and the owners didn't want to PTS or surrender to a pound or rescue. I am a bit cautious of free GSD pups though?

Edited by PetSitters

If her father wont let her spend any money on buying the dog, then is he going to allow her to feed it a good quality food & pay for all its vet needs. Sounds like her father thinks dogs are a disposable item. It will be most likely raised on poor feed, given minimal health treatment & when things become too expensive, he will have it PTS. Especially a giant breed like a GSD :shrug:

Remind her how much it will cost for vaccination/sterilisation/worming etc and since they are usually more than a rescue dog tell her to consider rescue. Otherwise there are often adult GSD free or cheap who are already vacs and sterilised :) Just remind her that they can come with their own baggage though. I doubt she would find a free GSD pup anywhere though as even BYB don't just give them away.

If her father wont let her spend any money on buying the dog, then is he going to allow her to feed it a good quality food & pay for all its vet needs. Sounds like her father thinks dogs are a disposable item. It will be most likely raised on poor feed, given minimal health treatment & when things become too expensive, he will have it PTS. Especially a giant breed like a GSD :shrug:

Well they managed to get one GSD to 14yo. They can't be doing too badly ;)