To All The People Who Are Not Sure About Desexing Under 12 Months

KOE

No they may not read the whole topic but it is there decision to make, not be told they are mutilating their dogs as happens on here. Their dog their decision.

In the pound here there are already desexed animals as well so that in this area is a moot point, the pound is full of puppies as well cause they do not desex their dog no matter what education is given. If these animals left their breeding establishments desexed then the puppies would decrease, leaving less puppies therefor less dogs in the pound desexed or entire. And hey I would be just as happy for tubal ligations and vasectomys because we would get the same desired effect NO PUPPIES>

And for what it is worth I do not believe tail docking is cruel as I had a litter docked and stod there while they were done at the vet clinic. Also I dont call debarking cruel.

I was really disgusted to see 2 days in a row a full entire PHAROH HOUND roaming the streets of our smallish town one day with a red dog coat the next day without in 2 different streets so I am assuming it is the same dog. It does not matter the cost the owners dont give a crap and I will bet (the area it was seen in) there will be pharoah cross puppies all over the place .

And for what it is worth I do not believe tail docking is cruel as I had a litter docked and stod there while they were done at the vet clinic. Also I dont call debarking cruel.

Do I understand that you did get your own litter?

Their dog their decision.

Interesting , to be a bit naughty .....and to take this quote, and also apply it to stuff like ear cropping, or keeping a dog on a chain ..or feeding a vegan diet.... ;)

Owners do indeed have the final say- but a well informed decision ,made with the dog's welfare in mind, is the best one, I believe :)

And I will stand by the fact that more early desexing will eventually lead to less animals in the pound, because if there were no uterus's and testicles except for breeding animals then there will be less animals.

If this was to be made law, then only the reputable breeders would be obliged to abide by it...the puppy farms & BYB's are not going to care less :o

I think you will find that most (not all) dogs that end up in pounds & rescue centres are not puppies from reputable breeders, but are a result of puppy farms (usually sold through pet shops) & BYB's who don't give 2 hoots as to where their puppies end up. So the health of the good pups would be made to suffer while the mongrels live on, fully intact to jump the neighbours fence & spread their oats, to produce more puppies to end up in more rescue centres. :mad

yes you understand right I had a prefix for years bred 1 litter ,but I also have chosen not to supply a already oversupplied market any more and to be exact since Australia Day 1998 probably before even the inception of this forum. I have also worked in a pound environment for 10 years and see what goes on.

I also believe all dog owners should walk a day in the shoes of a pound attendant especially in country pounds not sit behind a computer screen.

And to say only crossbred puppies get taken to pounds well that is wrong as well. Remember there are more than your big fancy city pounds. And people also think they all get rehomed well hate to say 45% of dogs that go through country pounds die in those pounds.

Ah persphone ,, the old dog on the chain hmmm we sure get different perpectives in country areas.

If you are going to debate you need more than "i think" There is no evidence that mandatory desexing lowers kill rates. Just look at the ACT mandatory desexing for dogs over 12 weeks - didnt work so they want to try for mandatory desexing for dogs over 8 weeks.

Show me the figures and then convince me that saving some one else dog is more important than me making the best decisions for my dog.

I don't quite understand your comment about dog owners spending a day in the shoes of a pound attendant :confused:

Can you explain what you mean and why it is necessary and what the average dog owner take away from the experience?

Choice is good as long as everyone has the right to gain the info - for and against and make the best decisions for them and their dog in consultaion with their vet but to push for it to be across the baord without choice and with out education sucks.

yes you understand right I had a prefix for years bred 1 litter ,but I also have chosen not to supply a already oversupplied market any more and to be exact since Australia Day 1998 probably before even the inception of this forum. I have also worked in a pound environment for 10 years and see what goes on.

I also believe all dog owners should walk a day in the shoes of a pound attendant especially in country pounds not sit behind a computer screen.

And to say only crossbred puppies get taken to pounds well that is wrong as well. Remember there are more than your big fancy city pounds. And people also think they all get rehomed well hate to say 45% of dogs that go through country pounds die in those pounds.

Ah persphone ,, the old dog on the chain hmmm we sure get different perpectives in country areas.

I deal with pound dogs every day. Desexing is not the answer. It will not stop stupid uneducated choices of pet, and it will not stop irresponsible owners dumping their pets.

The majority of animals in pounds are there due to them not meeting the owners criteria, again wrong choice of pet, ignorant to the time and effort that will be needed to meet that criteria.

• Like 1

I always choose a male for myself, prefer boys and don't desex them on the basis that If can't contain an entire male appropriately to prevent accidental matings and train my dogs effectively to avoid the supposed entire male poor behaviours, I shouldn't own a dog, for me personally is how I view the situation and believe that hormones play a greater part in a dog's growth and development both physically and mentally than purely for reproduction.

The decision to desex in my opinion should be the owners choice which best suits their situation.

To all those out there that are in 2 minds whether to desex your larger breed prior to 12 months of age please go and look at the GSD. He is 7.5 months already desexed and is very well put together. He does not appear to be oversized, lacking in substance or spindley.

There are those that are dead set against early desexing, and try to get people to think their way and there is just no changing their minds, as they are set in their mindsight.

But for the others please look at this dog and think of desexing your puppies if not going to show homes and maybe just maybe then the numbers put in pounds and rescue will eventually decrease.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/221844-german-shepherd-purebred-pup-75mths/page__view__getnewpost__fromsearch__1

If this dog is meant to be an ambassador for "early desexing" I'd like to point out a few flaws in that argument.

1. The dog has only just been desexed. He wouldn't even be free of testes produced testosterone yet.

2. Most people talking about "early desexing" are talking about pups desexed at 6 weeks, not six months or more.

3. The dog is not fully grown. Given that his femurs at least are yet to finished growing, he has not yet reached his adult state and therefore his ultimate soundness is still a question mark.

Sorry, but I dont' think this dog proves anything either way. One dog is hardly a legitimate sample in any case.

Edited by poodlefan