Dogs And Holidays

I've just found out that kennels in Canberra start being booked up for Christmas holidays around July-August, which is why I'm pondering the issue so early.

Does anyone have any experiences to recount about:

I have one positive review for Yass Pets so far :) If people have other recommendations it would be appreciated. People have offered to take our two in for the time we're away but that's too much of an ask for family and friends, I fear ... Thanks very much in advance.

Just a thought, we have been lucky to find vet nurses that are happy to stay at our house for a small fee.That way our house is safe and I know the animals have the best of care.

The first vet nurse and her partner were our pet sitters for nearly three years(they now have there own house and pets). We have just found a new sitter and have found this has worked for us very well.

I have four dogs and a cat so its way cheaper then putting them into a kennel.

I haven't heard a bad report about Rovers in all the years they've been open - & operating a taxi & taking people backwards & forwards to the airport, I would definitely have heard by now! The only gripe I have ever heard is about the cost. Dogs often return home fitter & healthier than when they left, & if they are delivered home by one of the proprietors, then they often try to get back in the car when he leaves :laugh:

I know a local vet nurse also uses them, so I suppose you can't get much better recommendation than that? :)

I haven't heard a bad report about Rovers in all the years they've been open - & operating a taxi & taking people backwards & forwards to the airport, I would definitely have heard by now! The only gripe I have ever heard is about the cost. Dogs often return home fitter & healthier than when they left, & if they are delivered home by one of the proprietors, then they often try to get back in the car when he leaves :laugh:

I know a local vet nurse also uses them, so I suppose you can't get much better recommendation than that? :)

I know a vet nurse that used to use them as well until last Feb when Tigger went through their practice on his way to Canberra Emergency. If anyone is interested I have all the vet notes etc and I'll PM them. Just be cautious boarding your dogs, ask questions like if the kennels are even supervised through the day. You may get a surprise.

Don't know how many kennels there are in Yass, but a friend's 10 month old puppy bitch was killed by other dogs in the exercise yard at a kennel somewhere near Yass about a year or so ago. This was only a weekend stay but be very careful with any of them at Christmas when they tend to double up dogs and run groups together. I would never use a kennel that allows dogs from different homes out together.

I've just found out that kennels in Canberra start being booked up for Christmas holidays around July-August, which is why I'm pondering the issue so early.

Does anyone have any experiences to recount about:

I have one positive review for Yass Pets so far :) If people have other recommendations it would be appreciated. People have offered to take our two in for the time we're away but that's too much of an ask for family and friends, I fear ... Thanks very much in advance.

Funny that you say that your two are too much for family and friends yet you are asking about Dont Fret Pet. I used to have a Dont Fret Pet franchise and got really cranky with owners that only used the service over Christmas when everything else was full. The amount of lies that I got told about "they are no trouble" at all and then you find out that the dogs are a nightmare and impossible to move over the Christmas time. I'm not saying that this is the case for your dogs but you might need to double think that you would feel comfortable for them in a strangers home if you dont feel comfortable leaving them with family or friends in case they destroy stuff or something.

Edited by daisygirl

Funny that you say that your two are too much for family and friends yet you are asking about Dont Fret Pet. I used to have a Dont Fret Pet franchise and got really cranky with owners that only used the service over Christmas when everything else was full. The amount of lies that I got told about "they are no trouble" at all and then you find out that the dogs are a nightmare and impossible to move over the Christmas time. I'm not saying that this is the case for your dogs but you might need to double think that you would feel comfortable for them in a strangers home if you dont feel comfortable leaving them with family or friends in case they destroy stuff or something.

Errr, my two dogs are well-behaved but there are two of them. If I just had the one dog, I would be able to leave it with a dog-minded friend. The thing is, many of my dog minded friends and acquaintances already have one if not two dogs already so taking on our two lively young dogs for 2-3 weeks is quite a big ask, especially for those who have small yards. Also, the reason I would prefer a Don't Fret Pet arrangement is that I would be paying someone to assume the duty rather than feeling guilty/indebted to a friend. I have had offers to look after the two but I would feel like I was inconveniencing friends so would much prefer to pay for a service so that I can give very specific instructions (rather than requests) about how I want my dogs looked after. I'm not after free help, I want peace of mind while I'm overseas... I know a lot of people with beautifully behaved dogs who do not want to inconvenience friends and would rather pay for the service. With family, most of them are not doggy people and my brother (who is quite doggy), has become extremely allergic to dogs and can't really go near them without having breathing difficulties.

My two don't bark, are not destructive, they toilet on command, they have never chewed a cable or destroyed anything in the house even when left unattended, they never counter surf even when food is left sitting on the bench, they ignore bags of open kibble sitting on the kitchen floor, they attend obedience training and are very relaxed and chilled most of the time - but the fact that remains that they are young, very lively at times (excited by new situations) and would probably be regarded as a lot of work for someone who isn't used to Kelpies

Also, I would never 'lie' to anyone about my dogs - not only is that wrong, it's just counter-productive. I would never want someone unhappy and resentful tending my dogs and given how grateful I would be that they were looking after my dogs, I wouldn't dream of being anything but truthful with them. I would have assumed that with a Don't Pet Fret situation that I'd arrange for whoever the carer was going to be to meet my dogs first to make sure he/she was comfortable with them and that they wouldn't be placed with, for instance, someone who was mobility impaired or scared of medium-sized dogs/Kelpies ....

ETA: I am not wanting to use 'Don't Fret Pet' because 'everything else is full'. My OH would prefer for them to be a home situation over a kennel because Elbie can be shy around strange dogs. If we can't find a suitable situation for the dogs over the break, then one of us will stay behind and we'll book ahead for Christmas 2012.

Edited by koalathebear

I know a vet nurse that used to use them as well until last Feb when Tigger went through their practice on his way to Canberra Emergency. If anyone is interested I have all the vet notes etc and I'll PM them. Just be cautious boarding your dogs, ask questions like if the kennels are even supervised through the day. You may get a surprise.

Oh Kinsella, I could cry at what he went through at that place.

Edited by Diva

I can kind of understand where you are coming from, but at the end of the day, you're still paying for a service. Boarding kennels, as mentioned previously, book out quite early. A lot of people only get time off with their families at Christmas. If they can't get their pets into a boarding facility, why shouldn't they use another petsitting service? Even if their animals are 'less than perfect'?

The sad reality is, people who do not have access to any other alternative are in all likelihood going to a) go away anyway and leave their pet behind- hopefully with sufficient shelter, food and water, but (gross generalisation coming) sometimes not.

b) Dump their pet at the pound/RSPCA

A lot of dogs are probably "no trouble at all" when in their own environment, but put them in a different environment, no matter how caring, and they may act differently, whether that be by digging a hole or chewing bedding. They are dogs, after all, but does that necessarily make them a 'nightmare'?

I have a Labrador. At 13 months of age she is still, in many respects, a puppy. On occasion she will 'destroy stuff' as you put it, and probably will for some time yet ;) Does that mean that I shouldn't put her into boarding? Or leave her with friends or family? Well, no. I let the boarding staff know that Ruby has a penchant for chewing material once in a blue moon, and when she stays with my brother, they know what to expect as they have her mother dog.

Getting back on topic, there is a difference between paying for a service and depending on the kindness of family and friends, no matter how well behaved your dog is. Much the same as some people prefer to put their children into daycare or babysitting rather than relying on grandparents etc.

I know KTB's dogs and they are DEFINITELY NOT badly behaved dogs that could not be looked after by family or friends!

I was actually inclined to offer to take them myself, knowing how lovely they are and that they would most likely be quite manageable along with my dog (shortly to me dogs) and cats. After reading KTB's reasoning for seeking a kennel or dog sitter I can totally see where she's coming from though and in fact think she an OH are being very organised for thinking about the best place for their dogs and even checking whether they need to book now!

Having said all that KTB I don't know anything about local kennel experiences, if I find anything out I'll let you know.

And also if you run out if all options and I do stay in town over Xmas (which is reasonably likely) you won't be stuck, E & H could always join my menagerie, tho I totally understand it probably wouldn't be ideal! (heeheee, I can just imagine the pile of animals on my bed, I tend to let any visiting dogs join Saxon and the cats in my room...)

Thanks so much for the replies guys :) The offers here and via PM are VERY, VERY sweet and most appreciated but I really couldn't inconvenience/take advantage of friends like that.

In case anyone else is making 2011 Christmas plans, Yass Pets is already booked up for Christmas. If we want to book the doggies in for 2012, we will need to book in Jan/Feb 2012. I have calls in with some other recommended kennels to see if they have spots free. It's not the end of the world if we can't get anything for this Christmas, OH can make the 20+ hour flight to Toronto alone and endure the sub-zero Canadian winter alone and I'll stay here with the doggies and we'll venture back to Canada when it's 'Low Season' here and hopefully warmer Over There. :laugh:

Thanks so much for the replies guys :) The offers here and via PM are VERY, VERY sweet and most appreciated but I really couldn't inconvenience/take advantage of friends like that.

In case anyone else is making 2011 Christmas plans, Yass Pets is already booked up for Christmas. If we want to book the doggies in for 2012, we will need to book in Jan/Feb 2012. I have calls in with some other recommended kennels to see if they have spots free. It's not the end of the world if we can't get anything for this Christmas, OH can make the 20+ hour flight to Toronto alone and endure the sub-zero Canadian winter alone and I'll stay here with the doggies and we'll venture back to Canada when it's 'Low Season' here and hopefully warmer Over There. :laugh:

I can relate to that my daughter lives an hour from Toronto and we have been over in February, -40 wind chill and -20 deg I nearly died. :eek:

I totallyt understand about you not wanting to leave them with friends/family.

I would also rather pay for a professional service. I've heard of a lot of bad experiences when dogs get minded by friends (getting lost, getting into trouble etc). When you pay for a professional service the provider has more of an incentive to kepe your dogs safe. Even though I am sure friends/family mean well, I think its just more likely for accidents to happen.

My friends were minding our previous dog and accidently lost her- the mum hadn't told her son that she was going to be staying and he kicked her out of the house thinking she was a stray (not the brightest). Luckily she just wandered to a nearby park and was found safe and sound a few hours later but she has to cross 2 busy roads to get there!

Don't fret pet is quite good, we used to look after dogs for them, but also with this service you don't have the same degree of guarantee of safety as it does depend on the family/person who looks after them.

H0w long are you going for? I am lucky enough to have dogless friends (they are older and have always had dogs but don't want one full time at this time) that mind my pup but I would be happy for her to be in a good boarding kennel if it wasn't for a really long time.