Indifferent Puppy

Korrigan

I only got my labrador puppy at 8 weeks but she learnt sit/drop/shake in the first few days, was doing roll over and speak shortly after. She also learnt how to open the gate of her puppy pen on her first day. In fact she learnt 3/4 of her tricks that she knows today by 12 weeks old pretty much.

NOw she's calmed down a little, I don't do as much trick training with her to occupy her (although I know I should!)

I think most puppies have the capacity to learn a lot at 8 weeks but some people expect less from them so they don't try.

To the OP= wht is her reaction when you teach her tricks. She must want to learn./work with you to some degree if you've managed to teach her some tricks and basic commands.

You say she runs off and wants to do her own thing- Recall is something that needs to be trained, its only naturally for a dog to want to do its own thing when going on walks etc.

I only got my labrador puppy at 8 weeks but she learnt sit/drop/shake in the first few days, was doing roll over and speak shortly after. She also learnt how to open the gate of her puppy pen on her first day. In fact she learnt 3/4 of her tricks that she knows today by 12 weeks old pretty much. NOw she's calmed down a little, I don't do as much trick training with her to occupy her (although I know I should!) I think most puppies have the capacity to learn a lot at 8 weeks but some people expect less from them so they don't try.

To clarify, I was not trying to say that no other dog is better than this dog or that the puppy is exceptional - just impressive. The fact that there are other dogs out there born reciting Kit Marlowe, composing sonnets and doing exquisite needlepoint from birth doesn't take away from the fact that this dog sounds like it isn't a bad puppy in any way and could be an excellent pet if placed in the right home. Clearly, the puppy's personality is not compatible with the original poster's expectations and neither are likely to be 'happy' under those circumstances. Nonetheless, it's smart, trainable and young enough to still be homed easily to people who will be able to give it the home it deserves and love it for the personality it has.

That being said, our dogs have always been people-focussed but grew more affectionate as they grew older so that it appeared to be genuinely seeking out company rather than whining and crying like a baby which demonstrates need but not necessary affection.

Just an update on the 'indifferent' pup. Matters are improving a little and she has begun to interact with us, hubby appears to be her 'preferred' person and she is now consistently asking to be allowed on his lap for cuddles, as well as asking to come in when she's had enough of the outside world. So there's progress. Thank you to all those who gave kind and constructive advice.

Good luck with your pup. I have a BC girl (now 11 years) who was very aloof and independent as a pup. She is very much all work (working lines) and until she was 5 she lived on our farm with us and we did use her for working cows although I didn't buy her for that, I also competed with her successfully in obedience, agility and tracking. Our working relationship is great but the standoffishness/very serious demenour doesn't suit me. She is unsatisfying to say the least as a pet dog. I have 2 younger BC girls (9 and 2 years) and they are 100% in my face, having cuddles, shadowing me, obssesive etc. I love them both to bits, others might find them annoying! But I know this is the sort of dog I like and I would not keep another independant pup.

It kinda irkes me when people say my puppy does this and this and this when infact they're just being lured and not in anyway proofed....there's not rush people, nothing to prove to anyone, enjoy your puppy.