Zena Puppy In Need

DSL

Too late for Pet Insurance as the hernias are probably a Pre exisiting condition.

They may cover her for the de sexing though.

Insurance may help her further down road IF the pup comes down with any other health problems, eg skin problems.

DO NOT go to GE finance they are rip offs!!!! How many stories on ACA or TT about them?

BB

Her dog, her responsiblity to pay for it. If she wanted someone else to pick up the tab for Zena's vet bills, I'd be advising surrender.

The LAST thing a pup with growth issues needs is to be desexed now.

Let good diet do what it can but desexing will NOT help.

This is not a breed cross that immediately says "good family member" to me. She'd better book the pup in for ongoing training as well.

Edited by poodlefan

Too late for Pet Insurance as the hernias are probably a Pre exisiting condition.

They may cover her for the de sexing though.

Insurance may help her further down road IF the pup comes down with any other health problems, eg skin problems.

DO NOT go to GE finance they are rip offs!!!! How many stories on ACA or TT about them?

BB

Only suggested GE as I have had a GE Card for years, made multiple purchases on it and I have never had any trouble with them at all. So long as you budget and aim to pay off in the interest free period you are fine.

Not sure what State you are in, but in Qld it is illegal to sell a dog that isn't microchipped. I bet these vendors did not have the pup microchipped. If not, they can be reported.

Fair Trading is definitely worth a try, they are actually pretty toothless, but they sound official and can scare some people into doing the right thing.

Also, if the vendors are breeding and selling pups regularly, they could be dobbed in to the Tax Dept, 'cos they're probably not declaring the income. :angeldevil:

When I had Emma at the emergency vet last time I was hitting a point where I was not going to be able to pay the bill. They had an arrangement that I think is a Westpac thing which is essentially a payment plan, so you pay a deposit then the bank covers the balance and you agree to pay a certain amount each week/fortnight. It is interest free, has something like a $5 surcharge (maybe more but not a great deal). But it only covers amounts up to $2000 and it has to be offered by the clinic (ie you can't apply for it independently). So she could look for a vet that offers a payment plan like this.

Also in Melb I've heard the cheapest place for desexing and most surgeries is Lort Smith. there may be private clinics that are also at their prices, but that's the biggest one I've heard of. So it might be worth looking into the larger community based animal hospitals to see what their prices are. Sometimes it's worth travelling a little further because it could save a substantial amount.

Poor pup! nOt the best start to life :(

I agree with the others who have suggested getting credit or finding a vet that will let her pay off an account.

I feel a bit annoyed that she is asking for money. $500 is not that much compared to a normal desexing and the puppy doesn't need immediate medical attention. What would have happened if the dog had been hit by a car, or gotten parvo? I've spent over $2000 on my puppy's skin condition and I am a student.

I have always had a separate account for potential Mindy expenses (though now greatly redcued!). My friends always joke that Mindy has her own bank account :laugh:

I suggets she starts doing somehting similar or at least gets accident only pet insurance for the pup.

I'm not sure she is going to have much luck with Fair Trade as the "breeder" isn't registered and she has no proof of purchase. Techincially, there is no reason why the puppy can't fulfil its purpose as a pet. If it were bought for competition, it would be a different story.

I have to say that stories like this make me pretty sad and angry.

Edited by aussielover

I'd be getting a second opinion on the hernias. Most vets will whip them out no worries for just a few more dollars at the time of desexing.

A premium quality kibble will correct the front legs.

$500 is way over the top for desexing cost. Tell her not touch desex the pup at the very least, til the legs have righted themselves. Pup should have moderated exercise until then too.

A horrible bloody mix of breeds if you ask me, they seem to be popping up a lot at the moment.

Office of Fair trading is fine but what if the outcome is that they must refund her money & she must return the goods ?

Best check this out first.

If your friend can manage the money side fine but it will be an ongoing thing for a long time & other problems may crop up later, which will be more expense & more heartache & maybe pain for the dog with a bad end result.

May be a better option for pup & owner to PTS now. Don't mean to sound horrid but it may be kinder all round too.

If the family bond with puppy & lose it later & all the money they have got in debt for :noidea:

The RSPCA clinic here in Victoria do discount desexing .It's $185 for under 6 months or $ 265 over 6 months. for a female . Otherwise check the RSPCA in your state.

Edited by budgiew