Playing 'dead'

tommygirl

So Im curious...when YOU (or if you ever have) played dead around your dogs what do they do?

Mine all react differently, but mostly what I found interesting was my youngest (8month old Sushi) goes bezerk if I lay down on the ground on my stomach, close my eyes and dont move. The others sort of dance around me and sniff and Rogue has sat on me lol, but Sushi, noses my face, licks me all over and if I can lay still and not react through all that, she gets more silly and starts pulling my hair and trying to turn me over, and sort of starts digging in my armpits.

Does anyone elses do this kind of thing? I like to think shes trying to 'save' me lol.

Mine just curl up next to me and go to sleep.

I suspect they know I'm fine, I would think they would be able to hear my heart beating ;)

Not sure what they would do if I was dead, more then likely curl up next to me and go to sleep :laugh:

I think it looks like play to them if you get down on the ground, and if you don't do it much it's unsurprising that they get excited. Whenever I lie on the ground to do stretches after a run the dogs think we're cuddling. Kivi lies down practically on my head and Erik licks me. If I lie down to do physio exercises it's the same brief affection storm. I'm one of these people that tends to charge through the house at speeds that are not suited to the terrain and thus end up running into things, tripping over things, staggering, falling, doubling over swearing... Erik will come over to see what I'm rolling around on the ground moaning about because he's a sticky-beak, but Kivi mostly ignores it.

I can't remember where I saw this recently. It might have even been on DOL somewhere. There is a study that's been done where owners pretended to have a heart attack to see what their dogs would do. Most of the dogs stood around wagging their tails or just wandered off, so they tried a more realistic scenario where the owners walked into a room and then had a book case fall on them and pin them to the ground and then the owners tried to tell the dogs to go and get help. Most of the dogs seemed to think it was a spot of hilarity from their owners.

My older boy does seem quite intuitive when it comes to actual injuries, will sniff cuts/bruises/sprains quite intently.

My girl doesn't seem to care about injuries but she HATES hiccup and also crying. In both instances she tries to climb all over you and lick your face, gets quite worried and whinges.

When I lay on the floor, Charlie thinks it's a great time to come over and lick me. Then bark at me to get up or telling me give him a cuddle.

Emmy jumps on me and put her paws on my shoulder and looks down at me to check if I'm OK. Then licks me a few time, and then just lay down on my chest and wait for me to tell her to get off.

I think they sense if you're playing or not. When I rolled my ankle and was sitting there in pain, Charlie would sit beside me and whinge, and Emmy will get a little frantic jumping on me for comfort because she doesn't know what's going on.

Edited by CW EW

I think it looks like play to them if you get down on the ground, and if you don't do it much it's unsurprising that they get excited. Whenever I lie on the ground to do stretches after a run the dogs think we're cuddling. Kivi lies down practically on my head and Erik licks me. If I lie down to do physio exercises it's the same brief affection storm. I'm one of these people that tends to charge through the house at speeds that are not suited to the terrain and thus end up running into things, tripping over things, staggering, falling, doubling over swearing... Erik will come over to see what I'm rolling around on the ground moaning about because he's a sticky-beak, but Kivi mostly ignores it.

I can't remember where I saw this recently. It might have even been on DOL somewhere. There is a study that's been done where owners pretended to have a heart attack to see what their dogs would do. Most of the dogs stood around wagging their tails or just wandered off, so they tried a more realistic scenario where the owners walked into a room and then had a book case fall on them and pin them to the ground and then the owners tried to tell the dogs to go and get help. Most of the dogs seemed to think it was a spot of hilarity from their owners.

Yes this is probably it, and the fact the youngest is the one who goes the silliest makes it more believable. I should get my other half to film it. Its pretty funny the way she pulls at my hair and 'digs' me awake.

Would like to see that study out of interest if anyone has a link :)

wuffles and CW EW - i think you are right, they can tell the difference between pretend and real. When I have actually hurt myself, they tend to all go still or come up to me cautiously and gently to check mums ok :)

Yeah my girls go a bit silly if I sit or lay on the floor, although not as much as before as I do it regularly because my of where my computer is (next to my tv on the tv cabinet). But I have noticed that when I am upset ie: I sat on the floor once and had a bit of a cry (over something silly but you know we all have to cry sometime LOL) and both of them were very calm and just came up for cuddles rather than the usual jump all over Mummy routine.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

We had a golden retriever when I was younger that I used to do this to, because apparently I was a bit of a cruel kid lol. He would have been at least 8 or so when I was doing it, so it's unlikely it would be puppy exuberance that caused him to act the way he did.

If I laid face down on the floor for long, he'd start nuzzling my neck, licking my ears and face and sniffing me. If I kept like that, he would slowly get more and more frantic, trying to put his nose under me to flip me over, licking more, and generally seeming distressed. I thought it was so adorable that he would get worried.

My current dogs, I'm fairly certain wouldn't care, but Rusty was really great at taking care of me and my brother when we were young. If my parents weren't home, he used to not let anyone come into the house, even relatives he knew. He once spent a week protecting me from my tiny grandmother who was watching me, sleeping in my doorway and everything because he wasn't used to her haha.

He took his job seriously, even at times when it really wasn't necessary, but I always felt so safe with him around--I knew if something really went wrong he would be there. Such a great dog, still miss him even though it's been almost 10 years since he's been gone.