Toilet Training

Stevie's mumma

Hi Everyone!

I have a gorgeous little pug puppy that we are trying desperately trying to toilet train

she is doing fairly well but i just cant get my head around why sometimes she will do her

business on her pp pads and sometimes not? we live in an top floor unit so there is no access

for her to go outside on her own, however we do take her out there and she seems to have no

trouble wee-ing on the grass, i wondered whether anyone knows if it would help her if we got

one of those artificial grass puppy toilets? i guess it is just trial and error but any opinions

would be appreciated!!!

thank you in advance

Stevie's mumma

Hi Stevie's mumma,

With toilet training, I'm not the best with pugs, but my grandma's German Shepherd puppy 'Lizzy' has only ever wee'd in the house once....... and she's in there a lot. But one thing we found with her is if you stand there really quietly and let her be for a bit, she does it. Then you reward the dog and then they will learn that weeing on the grass is good.

Try this and if it doesn't work, then maybe it would be best to get a puppy toilet.

Thanks,

ILUVBONSHANNONLIZZY <3

Little dogs are a bit slower to toilet train generally, but not always.

One thing is that people expect it to happen almost instantly & sometimes it can just take a bit of time.

Those that crate train say its instant but that's not a way I like or would do.

The puppy needs to know what you expect & where to go so you need just the one word that means toilet for wees or poo.

Put puppy on the pads or grass or where you want her to go after food, when she wakes up & maybe every hour at first & say the toilet word.

When she does go lots of praise & fuss.

Takes a while for some but dogs are smart, she will get it eventually.

If you can leave a pad that she toileted on down so she knows the smell & goes there again.

You want to remove the dirty one & put a clean one down I know but sometimes this helps for just a few times.

Pugs can be complete pains in the butt to toilet train, my girl wasn't reliable until she was 5 months old. Crate training got us there in the end. That said, my Frenchy is still not reliable and he's nearly 6 months :o On the other hand, my old GSD x picked it up within a forntight.

I feel for you, it's tough. You just need to be consistent and either crate her or watch her like a hawk. Rewarding with something really awesome may help too, but you have to be watching and reward her the very instant she goes where you want.

Thing is a pup don't fully have control of their bladder till they are 6 months old (although some do pick it up faster than others). Toilet training is about consistency. So remember to praise her like crazy in the place where you want her to go.

Likes other suggested about crating her and watching her like a hawk.