Green Tripe

CrazyCresties - like you I'd not set foot there if they sold puppies/kittens. But they do partner with Cat Haven, so I make the assumption that this is acceptable.

Didn't see any cats at the Myaree store - just as well as the dogs would have gone doubly bananas!

Can't believe we're all getting so excited about tripe!!! I didn't even know what it was until I googled it, and now I kind of wish I didn't know.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CC and Andy Pandy, the one is Osborne Park has Cat Haven cats there and they seem very relaxed in their enclosures. Everytime I've been, the enclosures have been clean and they are located on the opposite side of the store to the dog stuff so it's unlikely dogs will bother them.

How much is the tripe at Pet Barn?

Thanks AP and Mim :) There were a few rescue cats there, but they did seem pretty relaxed and enjoyed a scratch behind the ear from me :)

Mim - I got the 1kg bag of frozen tripe and it was $13.99. It does smell, but not nearly as much as the stuff I used to get back home. It comes in neat frozen pellets and I fed it still slightly frozen and the smell was ok. I saw with the freeze dried one you should reconstitute it in warm water - I wouldn't like to smell that one!! :laugh:

Thanks AP and Mim :) There were a few rescue cats there, but they did seem pretty relaxed and enjoyed a scratch behind the ear from me :)

Mim - I got the 1kg bag of frozen tripe and it was $13.99. It does smell, but not nearly as much as the stuff I used to get back home. It comes in neat frozen pellets and I fed it still slightly frozen and the smell was ok. I saw with the freeze dried one you should reconstitute it in warm water - I wouldn't like to smell that one!! :laugh:

Great, thanks for the information CC! Looks like it would be a nice cold treat for a hot summer day!

• 2 years later...

What are the benefits of feeding it, aside from being high protein? Does it contain food value goodies that other less difficult to prepare parts of a carcase do not?

I've been told it's got a better P:Ca ratio than other offal. Not sure how accurate that is. My baby puppies loved it but they ate most everything that was put in front of them. I bought frozen "muffins" from a place in Bayswater - can't remember the name - great raw products and treats - convenient but expensive - and I was pretty pissed off at being lectured to by one of the owners. Kinda picked the wrong breeder :laugh:

From what I understand it's the stomach of bovine. Grass eaters. The digestive enzymes play into the benefits of it.

I've just found an Australian dried tripe product that I'll have in stock in my salon soon. See how it goes

Thanks - I'm with Marg, recall as children it was in every butcher shop and we had it with a meal just now and then, maybe once a month. Steak and kidney pie was an irregular regular also as an offal inclusion. And weight-pressed tongue. (And eel). Lamb and mutton were the basics and butchers gave 'lamb flap' free to anyone with dogs, along with lamb shanks. Ribs and shanks are now trendy/expensive but no-one much praises up tripe for the home table.

I must be having a more cynical than usual day, I've just now read through a lot of stuff on tripe green and otherwise - some sounds credible and some sounds more like just a gimmick to move a fairly weighty piece of offal into the pet food market at a substantially higher per-kilo price than just going into mystery cans and kibbles with other offal waste.

I'll ask the local butchers - I think they buy in from registered home-farm suppliers occasionally. And this Sunday the Farmers Market will have locally produced beef, I'll see if they are a source or have any leads for local. Not convinced it is up to its advertising, but open mind.