Need Some More Tricks!

I haven't read through all the replies to see if someone has already suggested this, but a cool trick is to teach your dog to put rubbish in the bin. We give Jyra our empty yoghurt cartons to lick out, and then we say 'bin' and she picks them up and takes them to the bin. I basically taught her to do this by getting her to hold it in her mouth, saying 'bin', and hold it in her mouth so that she doesn't let go, walked through to the bin, let her drop it in, and give her a treat.

Scenting tricks are a lot of fun I've just finished teaching my B.C to find the "hot" card in a deck of playing cards thrown out on the floor. I started with getting her to find 1 card that I'd just rubbed vigorously between my hands and gradually extended it to where I can now rub the card, place it in the deck and throw them out on the floor, she wil search the cards and indicate the correct one quite easily.

I haven't done it yet but am working towards having several people pick cards then getting her to smell one person and find their card.

Try cueing your roll over or play dead with a "bang' and shooting motion of your hand, thats always pretty funny.

I've put a rope on the door of my beer fridge and taught my old mongrel dog to "go get a stubby". I started off with my wife giving her the stubby inside, then I'd call her and swap the stubby for a ball. Once she was doing that fine I taught her to open the fridge and then joined the two up. She'll now "go get a stubby" from anywhere in the yard. The best thing about this one is that, unlike my wife, the dog never tells me I've had too much to drink and should go to bed.

Ooh I like "get the stubbie"!! ;) Only trouble is we do home brew in plastic bottles and Indy's favourite toys are...plastic bottles :noidea::(

But, you raised a good point - given Indy is a beagle we should try some "scent" tricks, and the cards one isn't bad. It could evolve to a "psychic dog" magic trick with some more thought!

Thanx for the ideas all :thumbsup: