Prague Ratters

HazyWal

I was walking my greys down at the beach when I saw a lady with two tiny little dogs that to me looked like shrunken dobermans.I stopped and asked her what they were and she said Prague Ratters.She said they are very rare in Australia and she got them from a breeder in Sydney.Apparantly he is the only breeder in Aus that she knows about.She got the male from his first litter and the female from the second.I've never heard of them but they are so cute.Very expensive too.Has anyone heard of them?

Never heard of them before but I just went off to google and to my untrained eye they look alot like min pins. Very cute, I bet they'd be feisty little things if they're ratters.

She said they were feisty and very high energy but in real life(I looked on google too)they are no bigger than a chi.The boy was scratching the sand and barking at my 34kg greyhound! :D

To me they look very identical to Miniature Pinschers which feature in this months Dogs NSW Magazine, they were bred to catch rats & a breed standard was set down in Germany in 1895. If this is what they are, then there are a few breeders around with a Miniature Pinschers Club formed in NSW. But that's just my observation....could well be wrong ;)

Nawww they sound fiesty but sweet. Yeah I googled also and first thought was they look like Min Pins but not sure exactly how big Min Pins get?

Min Pins stand 25 to 30 cm high at the withers,

I speak Czech but I am getting tongue tied trying to pronounce the name of the breed in Czech - "Pražský Krysarík". Looks like a cool little dog. Feisty! :thumbsup:

The history of the dog breed is really interesting, with references to it dating back to the 11th century. Wow! - thanks for the link Corvus.

I have a friend who owns one on the central coast, the lady's name you met wasnt Renae was it?? what was the name of the male dog she had? (if you can remember)

I didn't ask the lady's name or the dogs names I was too busy looking at the little ones.She was young and very nice.She told me she first saw them when she was travelling overseas and found a breeder in Sydney.I saw her where I live at Terrigal Beach if that helps.(when I say young I'm 47 so everyones young) :)