Don Burke Takes On The Pedigree Dog Industry

warval dobe

Don Burke ...

ruDe knoB

its almost too perfect

Lmao ......only you could think of that :rofl: ......love it :thumbsup:

I cannot claim it as my own, it came up on DOL around the time he was on the Kerri-Anne show... i just love it to bits LOL

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don Burke of Burke's Backyard is picking a fight. He wants to highlight cruel practices that some pedigree dog breeders use in puppy 'farms'.

has anyone noticed that he seems to be contradicting himself, he is applauding "puppy farms" and how good they are yet saying that pedigree dog breeders have puppy farms???????????

so which is it, what is his point?????

Edited by toy dog

Meh...Today Tonight.....A Current Affair.........Don Burke.............what's the difference, they all churn out diatribe designed to capture the limited imagination of the lowest common denominator!!!! Does anyone really take any credence in this stuff, or is it like most of these things yet another storm in a tea cup. Regardless of outcomes from any populous action or law changes, those who are reputable breeders need never worry! :)

I have one pure pedigree Hungarian Vizsla and one indeterminable, but highly suspected, adopted German Shorthaired Pointer. Both brilliant dogs. The point being, the breeder I finally got Oskar from (the Vizsla), could not have been a more knowledgable, caring or wise breeder. From selection of lineage to matching of pups and the way she looked after the mum & litter was amazing. Any regulatory checks would fail to identify any health, inbreeding or living condition failures or flaws. I would imagine most who are beeders like this are the same.

Are there those out there who perhaps are not as considered in the way they breed, possibly yes. But, for the most part, I see breeders out there as mostly wanting to genuines maintain and improve the breed in all respects. Don Burke and his comments, views and media representations do nothing to alter my percecptions and most intelligent people will come to the same conclusion I would assume. :)

Are there those out there who perhaps are not as considered in the way they breed, possibly yes. But, for the most part, I see breeders out there as mostly wanting to genuines maintain and improve the breed in all respects. Don Burke and his comments, views and media representations do nothing to alter my percecptions and most intelligent people will come to the same conclusion I would assume. :)

yes i agree 100%, anyone with a bit of knowledge under their belts will know about genetic problems and how it affects dogs irrespective of their origin - cross or pedigree, its more about the "humans" and what care they take to produce healthy dogs. People with intelligence know how stupid don burke sounds because if he knew about dogs, really knew, he wouldn't be saying all this rubbish.

Meh...Today Tonight.....A Current Affair.........Don Burke.............what's the difference, they all churn out diatribe designed to capture the limited imagination of the lowest common denominator!!!! Does anyone really take any credence in this stuff, or is it like most of these things yet another storm in a tea cup. Regardless of outcomes from any populous action or law changes, those who are reputable breeders need never worry! :)

I have one pure pedigree Hungarian Vizsla and one indeterminable, but highly suspected, adopted German Shorthaired Pointer. Both brilliant dogs. The point being, the breeder I finally got Oskar from (the Vizsla), could not have been a more knowledgable, caring or wise breeder. From selection of lineage to matching of pups and the way she looked after the mum & litter was amazing. Any regulatory checks would fail to identify any health, inbreeding or living condition failures or flaws. I would imagine most who are beeders like this are the same.

I always treat the above TV shows as comedy's. What else could they be? But I do know people who believe everything on them, and are convinced every tradesman is ripping off the poor old pensioner. And every dog breeder is doing bad things.

Are we talking about the Gardener(very loosely).This is the same guy that insulted the old long standing and extremely well respected Gentleman (70+)that was incharge of the Mt.Macedon Gardens.He was instructed to leave I don't believe that show went to air in the format that it was supposed to.I think the producers were good gardeners too.Don't worry too much about him he will shoot himself up the butt so just wait for it and enjoy the moment.

Are we talking about the Gardener(very loosely).This is the same guy that insulted the old long standing and extremely well respected Gentleman (70+)that was incharge of the Mt.Macedon Gardens.He was instructed to leave I don't believe that show went to air in the format that it was supposed to.I think the producers were good gardeners too.Don't worry too much about him he will shoot himself up the butt so just wait for it and enjoy the moment.

Don Jerk ...always was one always will be one ..a Jerk with a shovel and a self destructive wish ..let him do himself in...

'toy dog' timestamp='1308891784' post='5373409']

:confused: is it possible to explain more why you think the GSD breed survey is bogus :confused:

Yes, in order to breed a GSD of correct temperament and structure and maintain the breed's integrity, the Germans have put a stringent testing process in place to ensure that non compliant dogs are not bred with faulty traits reproduced. The GSDCA here in Australia who are supposed to uphold the German testing process only complete a 3rd of the requirements of the German Breed Survey which allows faulty traits to slip through what effectively is a quality control net and be reproduced to the detriment of the breed.

The German requirements isn't easy and takes a lot of work and/or money to train, prepare and pass such a survey which is probably too hard for the average GSD breeder to undertake so the GSDCA don't do it, hence easy for the breeders, but detrimental for the breed. Personally I would be surprised if the majority of highly rated Australian show dogs had the integrity to pass a German breed survey to be honest and would suspect a large number of our breeding stock put to the test would potentially fail?

What's Don Burke got to do with dogs anyway, isn't he supposed to be a gardening expert :confused:

Edited by PetSitters

:confused: is it possible to explain more why you think the GSD breed survey is bogus :confused:

Yes, in order to breed a GSD of correct temperament and structure and maintain the breed's integrity, the Germans have put a stringent testing process in place to ensure that non compliant dogs are not bred with faulty traits reproduced. The GSDCA here in Australia who are supposed to uphold the German testing process only complete a 3rd of the requirements of the German Breed Survey which allows faulty traits to slip through what effectively is a quality control net and be reproduced to the detriment of the breed.

The German requirements isn't easy and takes a lot of work and/or money to train, prepare and pass such a survey which is probably too hard for the average GSD breeder to undertake so the GSDCA don't do it, hence easy for the breeders, but detrimental for the breed. Personally I would be surprised if the majority of highly rated Australian show dogs had the integrity to pass a German breed survey to be honest and would suspect a large number of our breeding stock put to the test would potentially fail?

What's Don Burke got to do with dogs anyway, isn't he supposed to be a gardening expert :confused:

He fancies himself as an expert on most things. :)

thank you for explaining that. :) yes mr burke is an expert on everything haven't you heard?? :laugh:

thank you for explaining that. :) yes mr burke is an expert on everything haven't you heard?? :laugh:

I don't think it's in any way constructive to allow a gardener to comment publically on dogs and be taken seriously, perhaps if the subject is dog's lifting their legs on his flowers there may be a point to his discussion otherwise that would really be the extent of a gardener's dog knowledge IMHO :rofl:

ah yes, Don Burke.. the man who had the pure bred pug on his gardening show... the same pug who he used as stud... charging exhorbitant stud fees for anyone who wanted to use it...