Yucca

holly

I have been doing some net searchign on correcting allergies in dogs adn came across this herb, Yucca, as well as using Salmon Oil to help to build up the bodies immune system and improve on itchy skin and dull, brittle coat.

Has anyone used Yucca before?

Okies, thanks and if it is related to Aloe Vera, would it be the same? Can Aloe Vera be used for allergies? As the Yucca was hard to source and is $25 for 100 tablets that will last me about 2 months, whereas I have a Aloe Vera farm just down the road and a Aloe manufacturing plant in town, so would be easier to get a hold of and cheaper too.

Thanx

Holly

I wonder if Steve would be of help?

I've just had a sticky beak around and it doesn't seem that similar to Aloe and it's the Yucca root that is useful in it's properties more so then the rest of the plant.

It might be interesting to look into the properties of Aloe as from what i've seen and know it's fairly all round good stuff.

:rainbowbridge: Yucca (blue) is the plant that Tequila is made from! :cry: :drunk:

True!! But seriously. There are MANY types of "Yucca" - its like Eucalyptus - there are 500+ species but which one/s does the oil come from? Aloe Vera IS closley related so perhaps it is a form of Yucca - don't know more than that, sorry.

Will browse later if I can ;)

I read about the Yucca on a obscure GSD site, at 2am and I can not find the link now, but they did discuss that the Yucca plant has helped with allergies, perhaps it is the anti inflammatory powers of the root, I am willing to try anything at this stage, as 6months down the track, of swapping diets, meds etc have made little impact, apart from what coat my dog does have, is soft, but hearing them chewing and scratching all night is very upsetting.

If this does not work, than I will have to start to break down what is in my garden, no easy task, when I live in the bush, with 10 million grass varieties, lol.

I am also using deep sea salmon oil and probotics, my dog does not seem to be as itchy last night, as a week ago.

Maybe I am the one that needs the Yucca, the blue that is, lol, especially if I come over to Packsapunch to dig one out, lol.

Holly, have you considered intradermal skin testing for the allergies? It's a fairly expensive procedure but if there are positive reactions to any of the 80 grass and other household allergens, desensitisation injections can help immensely (in about 70-80% of cases). It can often be easier than trying to eliminate the cause since atopy is caused by airborne allergens. Forgive me if you've already thought about it / done it.

Dear Holly, I switched my dog to BARF because of bad skin one year ago, it took about three months to clear his skin. I think you already feed Barf,(?) but i also fed him "missing link" for about the first four/five months.

I was ripping my hair out worrying when his skin was bad, its the worst thing.

HI Rappie

where I live all vet tests incur a 100% administer fee, to have a Haemophilia A test cost $200, yet in Sydney it was less than $80. I would have to travel to Brisbane to get the tests done, which would also mean leaving my kids behind. I know the way I am doing it is back to front and in the long run will cost more, but unfortunately, living where I do, it is the best approach. My vet has always recommended looking at diet and flea control first, which I am diong, am loathed to put the dog onto Macrolone etc, which is the other suggestion they have.

A few years ago, I had a mature pup come back with severe food and flea allergies, bought about by owner neglect, just putting the dog onto BARF did the trick with him, with this dog, it is more than just food allergies, as the BARF diet made him worse not better, perhaps it is what is being fed to chickens now? The rep for the breeders area of Advance, was saying in the USA the chicken meat is yellow coloured due to artificial colours etc and it is not recommend to feed dogs with allergies, chicken mince as it has made them worse, not better.

I have even tried this dog on turkey necks, with no real improvement. But have found that the Advance Large Breed Growth, has given the dog a more luxurious feel and have been adding extra Omega Oils to this. Hopefully the Yucca adn the extra bits will make more of a difference, if not, than I will be looking at enviromental factors :rainbowbridge:

Fair enough Holly - I agree with you re: the Macrolone and food trials and flea control are the best starting point. The thing with food allergy is that it can be to anything, and usually its an allergy to things that the dog is exposed to frequently (thats why chicken, beef and lamb are the most common). So regardless of whether it is raw or whatever he may well be allergic to whatever protein source you are feeding in BARF. Could you try something hasn't eaten before like fish or kangaroo? A thorough food trial is the way to go before you start looking into skin testing anyway - that means a strict one (that always makes owners go pale!).

Anyways, was just curious - that and I've just finished a month of dermatology and I felt like blurting something out :rainbowbridge:

Edit: Just re-read your post and you're not feeding BARF but the protein source thing still stands. Is it possible for you do try Hills Z/d ultra or Eukanuba F/P. I know theyre expensive but they would give you a pretty clear indication of whether there was an underlying food allergy.

Edited by Rappie

I know every dog is different and so are allergies but my dog was on EukanubaF/P at his skins worst.

I mostly feed organic chicken now, some lamb and fresh fish but lucky for me i can get it.

In desperation and fear that he wasn't going to have any hair left i gave him (or the vet did) a cortisone shot to help settle things down and switched to Barf. It has been 12months and a lot of humid weather and he hasnt looked back.

By the time you master this dogs skin you will be the skin guru.

Aloe Vera and Yucca are not related .

The yucca plants are known for the results they get from arthritis type problems and aiding joint health however bcause they also speed up the elimination of wastes and they have lots of saponin ,its also possible to imagine that they would help in allergies . There's lots of different varieties of Yucca and some are better than others and different parts of the plant are used as well.

If I was chosing between the two for any kind of theraputic reason Id go aloe vera anyday over the yucca.

Holly I have spent a fortune on skin scrappings, medication, washes and tried so many different diets for a girl I have here who developed an allergy to something in the environment here 2 years ago. She was almost furless and her scratching and chewing drove me mad, plus she was feeling pretty lousy too.

She was being fed a BARF diet.

Finished up doing a lengthy and strict process of elimination, diet and environmental wise, and chicken of any sort, and kikiyu grass, (compliments of a chance remark by Dr Harry) and which is everywhere here except the front yard. Juliet now resides permanently in the front yard and verandah, and diet is Eagle Pack Holistic Lamb with tinned whole fish (cat food) with vegies and yoghurt and she is looking beautiful. Just quietly she has the occasional turkey steak also. :rainbowbridge:

Good luck, I know how frustrating it can be.

Have also heard/seen Eagle Pack helping Goldchow.

Also Nutrience Derma-Lamb bics

Both these products contain Yucca shigiera (sp)?

Both dogs were on BARF previously

Not advertising just found it worked for 2 Newfs, Sharpei and Goldens, Dally

Altho 2 Goldens came good with phennigan? As lymph glands always up and terrible hot spots.