Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia

Hi Guys,

My Rhodesian Ridgeback has just been diagnosed with Immune Mediated Thrombocytopenia. Her platelet count was 1!!! She's been put on prednisone and Imuran and basically we've been told to cross our fingers and pray. She's just turned 6 months old.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced similar and had success with treatment...

Hi ODG, I am so sorry to hear your young girl has been diagnosed with IMT. :hug:

I have experienced this horribly disease with 2 separate dogs, both Rottweilers, both adult bitches. One sadly did not survive, but my second case did, and she is still alive now. These were only 2 years apart. As far as I am aware I do not know of anyone else unlucky enough to have had 2 dogs with IMT. Sadly, it is not a rare disease though.

There have been a few threads on IMT, IMHA and other Immune mediated dieases and there are a few of us DOLers that have and have had dogs with this illness. Sadly some of them do not make it.

I wish you every success. It is very much an emotional roller coaster and the vet is right, at this stage there is no way of knowing the outcome.

Please PM me if you would like my phone number so I can offer some friendly support.

Sorry to hear the diagnosis.

My last dane had immune mediated polyarthritis (and IMHA at the end) which started showing at around 6 months of age and diagnosed at just over 12 months. We were able to manage it with medication for around 9 months.

As Dyzney said - it is an emotional rollercoaster. Pred and Imuran are strong drugs and come with side effects - they were never a huge issue for us.

Anyway - there is a really good UK Yahoo Group called CIMDA - Canine Immune Mediate (something something!) which I recommend that you join - there is a huge amount of knowledge there.

All the best.

Hi,

firstly I am really really sorry that you have to go through this and I am wishing you the best outcome and a speedy recovery.

I have seen some dogs make a recovery from IMT back when i was nursing in Emergency and Critical care.

However I find the reading of 1 UNBELIEVABLE. That does not coincide with life.

Either way, whatever the number is the condition is serious as you are well aware, but I have seen them recover.

I am sending you best wishes and thoughts and hoping that yours will be one of the lucky success stories.

All the best :crossfingers:

Thank you to everyone for their best wishes and support. The vet was gobsmacked about how quickly it all happened. Wednesday night, at midnight no less, I was throwing a ball for her up and down the hallway as she was so full of beans and I knew I wouldn't get any sleep if I didn't! :)

Thursday she was sick with a fever and had a hematoma burst on her neck, but at the time we thought it was a bite from our other dog. Thursday night she developed what we thought was a severe rash on her tummy and Friday she went in for blood tests and ended up with a huge hematoma on her shoulder and blood under her skin everywhere, especially on her tummy. Her platelets were 1 and the vet was shocked. Her white blood cells were also very low which he was concerned about. Naturally her blood was low (43) but he wasn't too concerned at this stage.

Luckily the hematoma on her shoulder has gone down, I was really worried that it might burst at one stage as it started out the size of a pea and ended up the size of a tennis ball in less than 2 hours!

We're hoping the best, she's such a strong girl. She spends most of her time sleeping, which is good, but after a bit of a feed she perks up and wants to play, which I'm taking as a good sign. Even though I try to keep her quiet(the fact that she's still a baby can make it difficult) that she wants to have a bit of a play means that she's fighting....

I'm trying to stay positive, she's being constantly monitored. When I have to go to work tomorrow, my mum will be with her all day and if she has to go out, I'll take time out from work to watch her for a couple of hours. It will be tricky to organise, but I'm not risking her being alone while she's in this dangerous period.

Will post an update once I know more. She's due to have another platelet count later in the week so hopefully I'll have good news to report! **positive thinking**

ODG, thinking about you and wondering how your girl is going this morning. I hope there has been some improvement. I am sending positive vies her way :hug:

Has she required blood transfusions as yet?

What is her name?

Edited by dyzney

ODG, thinking about you and wondering how your girl is going this morning. I hope there has been some improvement. I am sending positive vies her way :hug:

Has she required blood transfusions as yet?

What is her name?

Her name is Naka Masimba (Naka for short) it means Good Power in Shona (an african dialect). She hasn't had a transfusion yet, but I noticed her stools have turned black so I have to talk to the vet tonight. I'm at work at the moment and only getting feedback from a very nervous mother who can sometimes exaggerate things through pure stress! :) Apparently she still tried to have a play with our other dog after lunch (even though she was stopped), so that's a good sign.

One of the worst things is that my vet who I trust completely is on maternity leave and I only have her boss to deal with and I'm really not that confident about him. He has one of those I don't give a damn attitudes and thinks all death is just 'one of those things!'.... The only other vet is over 40mins away - through the city and I'm worried that if she bleeds and it's an emergency, a 40min trip, even if it's completed in 20mins may just be too long, so I feel like I'm stuck with mr nasty....

He seems to be doing everything by the book so far, I'll see what he says tonight, if he's still a sh*t I might just take her over for a 2nd opinion at least....

ODG, I am so glad Naka is doing OK. She mustn't be too bad if the vet has not admitted her yet, so that is a really good sign. Yes, absolutely do not let her do any playing at all. She is bleeding internally as is the marks you see on her skin and the blood in her stools. But I am sure you have had all this explained to you, about her blood not being able to clot because of the low platelet count. But, yes it is a good sign that she feels well enough to play.

I hope she is responding to the drugs. If she is going well, they may be satisfied with continual taking of bloods to check her platelets etc.

How frustrating not having your normal vet. It is tricky deciding what to do. My first girl was for the most part treated at home. My 2nd girl was much worse and hospitalised in ICU immediately she showed symptoms.

Every case and every dog is different. I am really hoping you are one of the lucky ones.

Good luck. It must be so hard for you being away and getting updates. But it is wonderful you have someone to keep an eye on Naka.

Take care and I will be thinking of you and Naka. :)

Oh, just an added piece of advice... try to keep visitors to a minimum and do everything you can to eliminate any new germs coming into the house, disinfect hands, leave shoes outside, stay away from all other dogs etc. Whilst Naka is on cortisone her immune system will be low and therefore she will be suceptible to picking up any bugs.

With Dyzney we were pretty much in lock down here for nearly 2 months, no one in no one out.

Be prepared for her to lose her appetite at any time. So, whilst she is happy to eat, feed her up to give her room for weight loss if this happens. The loss of appetite (if it happens)will be owing to nausea and/or stomach ulcers if she is on the drugs long enough, this can occur.

Edited by dyzney

She sounds like a very tough dog, this will work in your favour.

hang in there and I am sending you healing vibes.

I can't believe she is not in hospital with internal bleeding and a plt count of 1.

I really hope she improves for you quickly and you can soon look back on this time as just a 'story'.

it's so horrible when they're ill. best of luck to you :sick:

• 2 weeks later...