Help! Need Fast Answers

perth_girl

I thought my Chihuahua was asleep on his bed next to my computer table. I looked down and he was gone. I went looking for him and sprung him licking my bedspread. He had just eaten one of those very small Easter eggs.

He is 1 year old. He ate it about 20mins ago. So far he seems totally normal but I know chocolate is a big no no for dogs. I cant get him to a vet right now. Will he be ok?? What can I do or what should i look out for?

thanks

He should be fine. With chocolate it depends on the type (dark, is worse as it contains ^ amounts of theobromine), the amount and the size of the dog.

Considering your guy is quite small it may be worth giving the after hours vet a call.

Edited by cmkelpie

Call Perth Emergency Vets on 08 9204 0400 and they can advise, but I suspect if it's just milk chocolate and a small amount that he'll be fine.

When my dog had choc poisoning a few months back she was manically hyperactive - like she'd had 100 espressos !

Hope he's ok :)

I am sure he will be ok :)

The more important question is why do you still have Easter Eggs? Mine were all gone the same day i got them :o

Hahaha we had ALOT this year and my son is slowly finishing the last of them off.

I made a frantic call to the emergency vet late one night at Christmas when I discovered my 5kg Iggy had eaten 30g of milk chocolate. They advised that up to 55g for her weight would be ok, over that it would be necessary to take her in. I was worried, but she was fine, with no sign of any ill effects :)

Forgot to say, its milk chocolate. Cheap brand. Think I got a 2kg bag of he eggs from a cheapo store at Easter Time. Had the last few sitting on my bedside table and forgot about them.

My sister's staffy pup got into the easter eggs she bought for the kids the day before easter.. He was in the back seat of the car and she got out to pick the kids up from mums place.. She got back to the car and he had eaten quite a few (he had jumped over the back of the wagon as she undid his harness while she went indside to get the kids, forgetting about the eggs)...

He was fine - a bit hyper for a few hours but fine..

Some dogs will have a more severe reaction than others, so best to keep an eye on them. If a dog that has eaten chocolate starts to pant then it is off to the emergency vet asap.

Should be right. But what about the foil, was that eaten?

Cody downed half a block of dark peppermint chocolate and threw up on the kitchen floor. The chiwi x god knows what who ate the other half threw up on my lap. But both were fine after they'd got it all out.

One year way back when my kids were young we decided as a fun game to hide all their Easter eggs in the garden.

We forgot about the dog...

The dog thought it was the best Easter ever! She ate the lot, with no ill effects.

Few years prior to this I had a chihuahua who slept on my bed...I kept my birth control pills beside the bed...one day the naughty Chihuahua ate the whole packet...I rang the vet afterhours in a mad panic...the vet said just keep an eye on him...nothing happened. Everyone thought it was funny saying that perhaps he was trying to tell me something lol.

Guest Willow

It's the universes way of telling you to eat all chocolate IMMEDIATELY.....for your dogs safety, of course ;)

Glad he's fine :)