Groomers Please...

Fudo

...and others that may be able to help.

A few weeks ago we moved to a bush block and are having trouble with grass seeds. I have found three that have penetrated his skin but have been able to remove them before they became problems.

I currently groom Fudo (akita) with an undercoat rake and a thing that looks like a large hacksaw blade curled into a loop. Grooming occurs weekly in the norm but daily when he is blowing his coat. I give him a general once over and all over rub down with my hands almost daily, but this is proving to be insufficient to find the grass seeds before they penetrate and cause a sore. Even when I do find them, if he happens to move before I can grab hold of it, it can take ages to find it again due to the denseness of his coat.

My question is, can you recommend another style of brush / comb / tool (and supply the brand name of it) that I could use daily that might be able to catch and remove the seeds? Obviously in so doing I don't want it to damage or cut his coat. I imagine that if such a tool exists it will have fine teeth? If it helps, the grass seeds are similar to cobblers pegs but about 1/3 to 1/2 the size.

Hope you can help! Thanks

+ 1 on the blower (presuming you are talking about a dog dryer?). Will let you see right down to the skin.

Maybe a coat oil? I condition my Afghans' legs quite heavily when they are on long grass, it at least helps get the seeds out easily...

another vote for a high power dryer/blaster, it will part the hair so you can see down to the skin and then know where to go to get the grass seed, would be a pricey option but will also help lots at bathtime

Yes I meant a dog dryer :)

If he is blowing coat it may pay to wear a face mask yourself when using a blower as it will remove loose hair with the greatest of ease.If you don't have a dog blower check your vaccum cleaner for a reverse blow feature and use the crevice tool to increase and intensify the airflow.