Pedigree Dog Segment On The 7pm Project

huski

Did anyone else see the preview for the pedigree dog segment on The 7PM Project tonight? They are going to air it tomorrow and they interviewed a woman who was talking about how inbreeding is proven to increase genetic abnormalities (paraphrasing).

ETA: Thursday also coincides with the day Dr Chris Brown is always on the show, I am sure he will provide some wonderful insights :rolleyes:

Edited by huski

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

technically speaking inbreeding does increase genetic abnormalities as you increase the rate of recessive genes and mutations being expressed. It's what makes pedigree dogs the way they are and produce consistent pups - limiting the gene pool.

But the general publics perception of it is a bit backwater so hence it propagates the old Don Bourke propaganda

Edited by Nekhbet

technically speaking inbreeding does increase genetic abnormalities as you increase the rate of recessive genes and mutations being expressed. It's what makes pedigree dogs the way they are and produce consistent pups - limiting the gene pool.

Yeah my (limited) understanding of inbreeding is that it solidifies whatever traits already exist in the lines be it good or bad.

It's what makes pedigree dogs the way they are and produce consistent pups - limiting the gene pool.

That is what the royal families of Europe said too.

Though I notice they are now out crossing and the results look promising.

http://www.lastwordonnothing.com/2011/06/23/a-royal-pain/

Hah hah (sob)...

Don't know whether to laugh or cry - funny, but of course has absolutely no relation to the manner in which registered, pedigreed dogs (hopefully) are bred...

... heh, I must add - that illustration does resemble a human version of MANY cross-bred dd misfortunes that I have seen!

Did anyone else see the preview for the pedigree dog segment on The 7PM Project tonight? They are going to air it tomorrow and they interviewed a woman who was talking about how inbreeding is proven to increase genetic abnormalities (paraphrasing).

ETA: Thursday also coincides with the day Dr Chris Brown is always on the show, I am sure he will provide some wonderful insights :rolleyes:

why do they keep insisting that most of the genetic problems in dogs are due to inbreeding of pedigrees. it p**ses me off i have pedigrees and my dogs aren't inbred.

another swipe at pedigrees to fuel the debate of "cross breeds are healthier"??? perhaps. a bunch of people are commenting that hasn't really gone into the logic of the whole thing.

dogs and all living things no matter what their breeding (they can be outcrossed for generations like mine are) can still get genetic problems, so what is their point except to create a negative outlook on pedigrees yet again and improve sales in petshops and puppy farms of designer dogs and cross breeds.

what are they trying to do kill us all off so the only dog you'll be able to buy in future or adopt will be a "dog" of an unknown description still with health problems, we won't solve anything by commenting on pedigrees having problems. :mad

Edited by toy dog

ETA: Thursday also coincides with the day Dr Chris Brown is always on the show, I am sure he will provide some wonderful insights

No insights... just eye candy... *grin*

T.

Hell yeh !!! ;)

Edited by BC Crazy

ETA: Thursday also coincides with the day Dr Chris Brown is always on the show, I am sure he will provide some wonderful insights

No insights... just eye candy... *grin*

T.

Hell yeh !!! ;)

What!? No way, The Bionic Vet is superior in every way to Roger Ramvet ! If there was a poll on this you would see how little 'eye candy man' would rate. Sorry to be harsh, but somebody has to snap you both back to reality :D

Just watched it.

The focus was on inbreeding rather than the cause itself - the show ring.......

They commented on how 'looks' place higher than health in pedigree dogs but failed to highlight how our desires in the show ring cause it.

Just started watching it, and have already turned it off.

Pedigree dog buyers are as much to blame as the breeders.... :mad

Argh that really really really pissed me off, and I don't even own purebreds. :mad

Just watched it.

They commented on how 'looks' place higher than health in pedigree dogs but failed to highlight how our desires in the show ring cause it.

Actually, I think there was some mention of how the situation will not improve "until the show ring starts placing health above looks". Something along those lines anyway. Just my humble opinion, but I do think it's about time that the show ring was revised to include provision for health in some way or another, rather than just rewarding "type" - or at least, an indivdual's idea of type.

What many people forget too is that every breed was intially highly inbred to establish the breed's particular characteristics. It could be justified to some extent when breeds were established, but I don't believe it can be justified further along in a breed's evolution.

Just watched it.

Actually, I think there was some mention of how the situation will not improve "until the show ring starts placing health above looks". Something along those lines anyway. Just my humble opinion, but I do think it's about time that the show ring was revised to include provision for health in some way or another, rather than just rewarding "type" - or at least, an indivdual's idea of type.

What many people forget too is that every breed was intially highly inbred to establish the breed's particular characteristics. It could be justified to some extent when breeds were established, but I don't believe it can be justified further along in a breed's evolution.

Show ring judges should and do place health as an extremely important aspect of judging pedigree dogs.

And NO, many people have not forgotten that breeds were inbred to establish characteristics. If you are anybody in your chosen breeds then this is formost on your mind when learning about pedigrees and the establishment of your breeds.

ANKC commented about inbreeding but what they failed to emphasis in their two second interview is that this practice is, at least by those who know their breeds is a practice which is not undertaken lightly. And nor should it be.

why do they keep insisting that most of the genetic problems in dogs are due to inbreeding of pedigrees. it p**ses me off i have pedigrees and my dogs aren't inbred.

another swipe at pedigrees to fuel the debate of "cross breeds are healthier"??? perhaps. a bunch of people are commenting that hasn't really gone into the logic of the whole thing.

dogs and all living things no matter what their breeding (they can be outcrossed for generations like mine are) can still get genetic problems, so what is their point except to create a negative outlook on pedigrees yet again and improve sales in petshops and puppy farms of designer dogs and cross breeds.

what are they trying to do kill us all off so the only dog you'll be able to buy in future or adopt will be a "dog" of an unknown description still with health problems, we won't solve anything by commenting on pedigrees having problems. :mad

toy dog, the dog-buying public should be hearing what you've posted.

Instead, an over-simplistic 'story' is always being trotted out. Leaving the public with the impression, don't get a pedigree dog because they've been bred to have genetic problems, so therefore it's good to get a dog (from who cares where) that is not a pedigree.

Every bit of research shows that cross-breeds have problems, too.

Also in these Belt the Pedigrees segments, the adjectives which give some idea of the extent of 'problem', get swallowed in the drama. On tonight's program....reference was made to 'some' purebreds having problems, and 'many', not. But you had to be fast to hear it.

Nothing is ever shown which provides balance highlighting the 'many' registered breeders who are aware of breeding for health (& temperament) as well as conformation. I have nothing but respect for the registered breeders in my breed of interest. Look around their purebreds, in Australia, & you'll find dogs that have come from a wide variety of bloodlines. Like, from Scandanavian countries, Switzerland, the United Kindgom & New Zealand. All done to expand the gene pool. And with an international health committee which overviews any health problems, with those bloodlines tested free, published.