Pedigree Dog Segment On The 7pm Project

huski

The list was taken from an American animal rights data base and the gaping big hole in all of this is that even they admit no one has a clue about how prevalent they are or if its even in the purbred population any where let alone Australia.

Whats more the way they intend to proceeed to collect that data it wont tell us jack shit about our purebred dogs anyway.

Another sad thing about the database is that the more common the breed, the more diseases you find reported. Look at, say, the Golden Retriever, which ranks at near the top of the list for having a broad genetic base in Canine Genome work. You'd think the breed was in deep trouble from the list . . .

Compare to the Blue Tick Coonhound . . . uncommon in Australia. .. looks like a really healthy breed, only four hereditary diseases, yah, right .

A general public breed site says The Bluetick coonhound is a relatively healthy breed but keep an eye out for eye problems (catarracts), hip dysplasia, bloating, hypothyroidism, and luxating patellas. An insurance site says " hip dysplasia, luxating patellas and autoimmune thyroiditis. They may also be prone to bloat. Other sources add Krabbes disease and prone-ness to ear infections. All sources mention HD, which USydney doesn't pick up, no source mentions any of the four (or three, if you count OCD as one disease) problems U Sydney lists.

The U Sydney group freely admits that their data say nothing about frequency: "The importance of disorders described in the LIDA catalogue varies in terms of frequency and severity. "

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL that is likely true but we only have ourselves to blame for this situation, in my opinion.

Now as I understand it, the total disease tracking system is not near complete yet.

All dogs will soon have to be microchiped

ANKC will have to collect the MC number on every dog ad link it to the dogs registration number.

Vets will send the information linked to the dogs MC number.

Uni collects all the registration records with MC number and downloads the vet records directly on to each dogs uni record.

So only a disease for the dog with the KC MC number will be recorded for that dog, making it every accurate as far as tracking the ANKC dogs (Dx could be suspect however).

Without any 'gold-standard' requirement for testing and diagnosis, any system like this cannot be expected to be accurate. eg see;

"Concurrence between clinical and pathologic diagnoses in a veterinary medical teaching hospital: 623 cases (1989 and 1999)." J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2004 Feb 1;224(3):403-6. Kent MS, Lucroy MD, Dank G, Lehenbauer TW, Madewell BR.

-- there was disagreement between the clinical and pathologic diagnoses in approximately a third of the cases.

and

"Comparison of clinical and pathological diagnoses in dogs." Vet Q. 2005;27(1):2-10. Vos JH, Borst GH, Visser IJ, Soethout KC, de Haan L, Haffmans F, Hovius MP, Goedendorp P, de Groot MA, Prud'homme van Reine FH, van Soest IL, Willigenburg AH, van Woerden MA, Ziekman PG.

-- At necropsy 42 cases were diagnosed as neoplasia, of which 52.4% had been diagnosed clinically. As to infectious diseases 55.0% of these diseases diagnosed at necropsy had been diagnosed clinically. ie just under half the tumours and 45% of infections were not diagnosed until post mortem.

and an anecdote about reported diseases and disease reporting..

I was contacted by a person who said their dog had Addison's disease (hypoadrenocorticism). Only after much discussion did I learn that the dog had hypoadrenocorticism because his adrenal glands had been surgically removed (!).

sometimes you need to know more than the one word diagnosis in the report.

Edited by vizeuse

just to let you know that i emailed Uni of sydney about PRA with chihuahuas and i got no answer as i thought i would not!!! go figure. there'd have to be only a few isolated cases to non-existance

i'll be asking the chi club of vic and maybe the national club to perhaps respond to this and get some other chi breeders on board.